Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

  1. UL Basketball Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    UL has played in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament (CIT), an alternative postseason event for mostly mid-majors and smaller programs that did not make the NCAA Tournament or the NIT, each of the past two years.

    "Hopefully something will happen," he said.






  2. #2
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,866

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    These tourny's are a joke. Big Dance or the NIT is what matters.

    If we are doing a pay to play the Vegas deal that started last year is where it's at.


  3. #3
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,648

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Reason we did not go to Vegas was it does not start till close to the Final Four week. Is that changing this year?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Lovely, another consolation tournament. Doesn't this cost us money?


  5. #5
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,648

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Lovely, another consolation tournament. Doesn't this cost us money?
    It cost you money if you host in the CIT. Not sure about other tourneys. If you go on road, expenses are paid. Host fee is not significant. You can make money if you draw over 1000 people. We may need a little more in our case however since we have to pay the Dome to play there. I bet it is not much more however. Last year we had a sponsor pay for our students attending and I suspect same thing happens this year. Therefore there is likely no negative financial impact and it could be positive. With the NIT going to the policy of taking the regular season league champions who do not win the conference tournament, this is the only way mid major teams who have had winning years get to play additional games. It is also a way to play against teams that are tough to schedule in the regular season. Teams that knocked us out in Evansville and Cal Irvine the last two years would have been great to see in the regular season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    It cost you money if you host in the CIT. Not sure about other tourneys. If you go on road, expenses are paid. Host fee is not significant. You can make money if you draw over 1000 people. We may need a little more in our case however since we have to pay the Dome to play there. I bet it is not much more however. Last year we had a sponsor pay for our students attending and I suspect same thing happens this year. Therefore there is likely no negative financial impact and it could be positive. With the NIT going to the policy of taking the regular season league champions who do not win the conference tournament, this is the only way mid major teams who have had winning years get to play additional games. It is also a way to play against teams that are tough to schedule in the regular season. Teams that knocked us out in Evansville and Cal Irvine the last two years would have been great to see in the regular season.
    If we have the money or it can be raised, play it! If not, we have other priorities that should be our focus right now like raising money for the production equipment. jmo

  7. #7
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,648

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    If we have the money or it can be raised, play it! If not, we have other priorities that should be our focus right now like raising money for the production equipment. jmo
    In addition to any money that can be raised, income from the ticket sales also go towards the host fee. I do not see finances as an issue in making a decision to accept the bid as the host fee is not significant. There probably is enough money in the Rebounders fund to help with a few thousand if needed. I doubt that it is needed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    In addition to any money that can be raised, income from the ticket sales also go towards the host fee. I do not see finances as an issue in making a decision to accept the bid as the host fee is not significant. There probably is enough money in the Rebounders fund to help with a few thousand if needed. I doubt that it is needed.
    I understand the process Mike, but no one is certain we have the money to cover our cost until ticket sales are recouped to host. Playing another game on the road to play in the CIT is not a reward in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,648

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I understand the process Mike, but no one is certain we have the money to cover our cost until ticket sales are recouped to host. Playing another game on the road to play in the CIT is not a reward in my opinion.
    If the kids want to play more games, I have no problem with it. I don't know if they see it as a reward as much as the opportunity to continue to do something they love to do. I don't think they mind if it is on the road as they enjoy playing that much. I would not stand in front of Jay Wright and tell him we are not sure we can afford to allow him to play more games that he would love to participate in. I don't think anyone here would either. As I said, Rebounders can help if needed and those are funds directly raised for basketball.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    If the kids want to play more games, I have no problem with it. I don't know if they see it as a reward as much as the opportunity to continue to do something they love to do. I don't think they mind if it is on the road as they enjoy playing that much. I would not stand in front of Jay Wright and tell him we are not sure we can afford to allow him to play more games that he would love to participate in. I don't think anyone here would either. As I said, Rebounders can help if needed and those are funds directly raised for basketball.
    Funds are the question Mike, I have no clue. But let me just say all kids want to play more games. Does softball or baseball get to play another game if they don't make a regional? Does football get to play in their own bowl game at home if they don't get a bowl invitation? Basketball is unique in that manner, but we should not just play games because athletes want to continue to play after not qualifying for the NCAA tournament or NIT. Again, if the money is there then Maggart should have no problem accepting the invitation. If it is not, the money should be raised.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,843

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Funds are the question Mike, I have no clue. But let me just say all kids want to play more games. Does softball or baseball get to play another game if they don't make a regional? Does football get to play in their own bowl game at home if they don't get a bowl invitation? Basketball is unique in that manner, but we should not just play games because athletes want to continue to play after not qualifying for the NCAA tournament or NIT. Again, if the money is there then Maggart should have no problem accepting the invitation. If it is not, the money should be raised.
    If the baseball or football kids, had the chance to play in another post-season event I would be all for that as well.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    If the baseball or football kids, had the chance to play in another post-season event I would be all for that as well.
    If the money is there, sure! But I wouldn't believe Robicheaux or Lotief would want to play in such a game, their goals are much greater!

  13. #13
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,648

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Funds are the question Mike, I have no clue. But let me just say all kids want to play more games. Does softball or baseball get to play another game if they don't make a regional? Does football get to play in their own bowl game at home if they don't get a bowl invitation? Basketball is unique in that manner, but we should not just play games because athletes want to continue to play after not qualifying for the NCAA tournament or NIT. Again, if the money is there then Maggart should have no problem accepting the invitation. If it is not, the money should be raised.
    You do have to have a winning season to get invited to any post season tournament. Football gets to play more games by going 0.500. Therefore you have to have some accomplishments to play more games in both sports. History tells us they will accept a bid if offered and comments indicated they hope to secure a bid this year. Therefore the money must be available.

  14. #14
    RaginScotsman's Avatar
    RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,047

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    The same discussion happens every year. It's post season basketball. You play if asked unless there is a good reason not to. I promise that Jay Wright wants to play.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    You do have to have a winning season to get invited to any post season tournament. Football gets to play more games by going 0.500. Therefore you have to have some accomplishments to play more games in both sports. History tells us they will accept a bid if offered and comments indicated they hope to secure a bid this year. Therefore the money must be available.
    Seems to be the case because I hear Dr. Savoie wants to play the game.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    875

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    My thoughts on this.... If we host, can the spinning stars in the intro light show and go back to the large Cajun logos.
    That's all I have.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    The same discussion happens every year. It's post season basketball. You play if asked unless there is a good reason not to. I promise that Jay Wright wants to play.
    Agree 100% I don't even try and discuss this anymore

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Iberia Parish
    Posts
    1,621

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Funds are the question Mike, I have no clue. But let me just say all kids want to play more games. Does softball or baseball get to play another game if they don't make a regional? Does football get to play in their own bowl game at home if they don't get a bowl invitation? Basketball is unique in that manner, but we should not just play games because athletes want to continue to play after not qualifying for the NCAA tournament or NIT. Again, if the money is there then Maggart should have no problem accepting the invitation. If it is not, the money should be raised.
    Maggard.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,575
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    You always play as long as you can as deep as you can, it's how you create a program with attitude.

    "We can quit now" should not be an option if you are trying to grow the program.

    jmo


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Cajuns' basketball season may not be finished yet

    More practice for next year just makes you better!


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •