Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Results 141 to 154 of 154

Thread: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Every time someone asks him about his lack of success; though to be fair, in general he refers to scheduling issues. But he does hammer the 'huge advantage' that non-FBS schools have. You know, like UTA whose men's hoops budget is about 800K less than ours, or Little Rock, whose budget is about 100K more than ours.
    All I ask is that you be honest about what is and what isn't said. He didn't say what you claimed he said. Criticize if you want to, but please try to be honest.

    I do agree that scheduling issues are killing the RPI of every G5 school in the south, including us.

    I also agree that non-FBS schools have an advantage over FBS schools. For those schools basketball is the flagship program and they get more institutional support because of it. I beleive the main reason why SBC basketball has fallen so much in the last 10 years is because of football.

    But no, I don't agree that those are excuses to not be successful here at UL.

  2. #142
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,525

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    I think the bigger issue is there is no incentive for P5 schools to play on the road OOC against other conferences. Unless a method is developed to penalize you why would you do it. I agree with Illinois States coach that if you're going to penalize me at tournament time for not playing enough games the P5 conferences who refuse to play me it's a broken system. They need to do like they did in softball. No RPI gains/losses for wins in conference, only OOC. Additionally, you should have a home/road component for games as well.


  3. #143
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,150

    UL Basketball Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    All I ask is that you be honest about what is and what isn't said. He didn't say what you claimed he said. Criticize if you want to, but please try to be honest.

    I do agree that scheduling issues are killing the RPI of every G5 school in the south, including us.

    I also agree that non-FBS schools have an advantage over FBS schools. For those schools basketball is the flagship program and they get more institutional support because of it. I beleive the main reason why SBC basketball has fallen so much in the last 10 years is because of football.

    But no, I don't agree that those are excuses to not be successful here at UL.
    Some do [Wichita State spends 6+ million dollars per year on men's hoops]. Some don't [Illinois State with FCS football and Little Rock with no football spend about the same as UL on men's hoops]. Some are worse off [UTA underspends UL significantly in men's basketball, and plays no football]. All are much more successful than UL, based on results.

    So yes, it is an excuse. Not a reason. SBC basketball has not really fallen, it just has no depth at the top. This year the conference was pretty good in the middle, but only UTA has a really strong team. The next 7 teams were significantly worse than UTA, but pretty solidly top 1/3 of NCAA D 1; stronger than all but the top 3 teams in the West Coast Conference [Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU].

    If two more teams in the SBC would step up to top 50 RPI status, the conference would be top 7 or 8, even if the balance of the conference's teams were no better than this year. We don't need to schedule Kansas and Kentucky to do that; just schedule non conference like Illinois State did this year.

    I am not critical of just Marlin; ALL the coaches in the SBC schedule very badly OOC. They all need to take scheduling lessons from their stick and ball sport coaches. Schedule good, solid mid level programs that are consistent winners which you can predict will win 60% or more of their games, but which you can beat [Texas Southern, for example]. If you schedule a loss, make sure it is someone who will win 70% of their games, and who plays in a power conference. Avoid the schools who do not compete well in lower level conferences[McNeese]. Try to schedule top 3 teams in peer conferences [Middle Tennessee, LaTech@Ruston, Marshall]. It isn't rocket science, but it does take a little work.

  4. #144
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,525

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    When Houston or Texas calls to say they want to play us in baseball, an option would be to say that's great because we want to play you in basketball. Lets make a deal.


  5. #145
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,662

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    When Houston or Texas calls to say they want to play us in baseball, an option would be to say that's great because we want to play you in basketball. Lets make a deal.
    There's nothing we can do to leverage Texas. Nothing.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    When Houston or Texas calls to say they want to play us in baseball, an option would be to say that's great because we want to play you in basketball. Lets make a deal.
    They call Bab...not Maggard, baseball handles their own scheduling...they don't care about the basketball teams schedule or I should say they won't jeopardize their own schedule for basketball and they shouldn't. Texas and Houston want to play our baseball team out of the respect our program has...Marlin should maybe try that approach.

  7. #147
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    They call Bab...not Maggard, baseball handles their own scheduling...they don't care about the basketball teams schedule or I should say they won't jeopardize their own schedule for basketball and they shouldn't. Texas and Houston want to play our baseball team out of the respect our program has...Marlin should maybe try that approach.
    Didn't we do that with Tech?

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Didn't we do that with Tech?
    No, it was with football and basketball...and please don't ever mention latech and Texas in the same light...I know Texas has fallen a bit but they are still Texas...not latech.

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    No, it was with football and basketball...and please don't ever mention latech and Texas in the same light...I know Texas has fallen a bit but they are still Texas...not latech.
    I think we went several years without playing LA Technical in any sport until they played us in football.

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I think we went several years without playing LA Technical in any sport until they played us in football.
    Yes, and it was political with latech as well...little different when you are in the same state and system. We didn't leverage a baseball game into playing them in basketball/football.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,439

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I think we went several years without playing LA Technical in any sport until they played us in football.
    That was also a Sun-Belt thing. They wanted separation and refused to play Sun-Belt schools in football. So the conference prevented scheduling other sports as well.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,161
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I think we went several years without playing LA Technical in any sport until they played us in football.
    The football renewal with Tech was leveraged from discussions from within the UL-System Board. At one time, there was talk of requiring UL, Tech and ULM to play other system schools on a rotating basis to keep the money in the system because of budget cuts. That didn't fly, but an accord was brokered with Dan Reneau to play the Cajuns in football once again and we would play them in others sports to help alleviate travel cost expenses. They have a new President now and I'm not certain the Cajuns will be scheduled again anytime soon.

  13. #153
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,779

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    Football series with Tech may not be renewed soon. However I believe the plan is to continue to play in other sports.


  14. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: Bob's Not As Poor As Reported

    Understand now. Thanks guys


Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •