Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Expansion and Raids, Turning College Football Upside Down

Default Expansion and Raids, Turning College Football Upside Down

Everyone everywhere is talking about it. Expansion. Well everyone has their ideas about it and I am no different. The following is what my ideal would be. Starting in the west, the Pac 10 goes with BYU and Utah. I know all the arguments against BYU ...

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Expansion and Raids, Turning College Football Upside Down

Man---I think that Houston would be crazy to leave with the traveling involved

It would be worst than the jetlag the Cajuns had in the West Days--or that Tech now has!!!!

Same logic applies to Tulsa.

ND: Big East or Big Ten? I'd say if ND's serious about joining a conference that they'll want to get into the Big 10 as they have more traditional football rivalries with those schools. Hard to say if the Big 10 wants them.

I don't see CUSA picking up LaTech for many of the same reasons they didn't do so the last time CUSA expanded. Same reason why they wouldn't pick up Troy or us: market size. Much higher chance of them picking up WKU, MTSU, and UNT as much better markets in Nashville and Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Man---I think that Houston would be crazy to leave with the traveling involved

It would be worst than the jetlag the Cajuns had in the West Days--or that Tech now has!!!! _

Do you have any idea where Marshall is located? How about East Carolina? These are both CUSA members with Houston. Is a three hour flight to California that much harder to take than a two and a half hour flight to West Virginia or North Carolina? If having to face a flight of more than two hours is all that it takes to stop UL from pursuing membership in a better conference, then the current state of affairs in UL athletics is as good as it is going to get. Troy, North Texas, and MTSU, are all doing the things that they need to do to have a shot at getting an offer from a better conference once the next shakeup occurs. You can bet that it will take more than a little extra travel to stop them from moving on. What would the SBC be without those three schools? Meanwhile, UL sits idly by waiting on the day that the rest of the country starts to think of the SBC as something other than the lowest ranked D-1 conference in the nation. It will only get worse if we lose any of the three members mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ Do you have any idea where Marshall is located? How about East Carolina? These are both CUSA members with Houston. Is a three hour flight to California that much harder to take than a two and a half hour flight to West Virginia or North Carolina? If having to face a flight of more than two hours is all that it takes to stop UL from pursuing membership in a better conference, then the current state of affairs in UL athletics is as good as it is going to get. Troy, North Texas, and MTSU, are all doing the things that they need to do to have a shot at getting an offer from a better conference once the next shakeup occurs. You can bet that it will take more than a little extra travel to stop them from moving on. What would the SBC be without those three schools? Meanwhile, UL sits idly by waiting on the day that the rest of the country starts to think of the SBC as something other than the lowest ranked D-1 conference in the nation. It will only get worse if we lose any of the three members mentioned. _

This is pretty much how LA Tech has branded itself and will be looked at over UL in just about every scenario, despite the Ruston market. Its move to the WAC will pay off for it in ways that we had no vision of. This sleeping giant went into a coma and still has not awaken. Can we awaken in time to turn this around? We only have a year of so to do so. I am worried. This is our last chance.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ This is pretty much how LA Tech has branded itself and will be looked at over UL in just about every scenario, despite the Ruston market. Its move to the WAC will pay off for it in ways that we had no vision of. This sleeping giant went into a coma and still has not awaken. Can we awaken in time to turn this around? We only have a year of so to do so. I am worried. This is our last chance. _
    Here is a reminder that the MAC is the weakest conference in the nation, not the Sun Belt. The computer rankings at the end of the past season and the previous one showed that to be the case

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Here is a reminder that the MAC is the weakest conference in the nation, not the Sun Belt. The computer rankings at the end of the past season and the previous one showed that to be the case _

The MAC is by far the weaker conference. The development of the SBC over the past 3 years has allowed it to move past the MAC. What does help it is its overall size and inclusion of a championship game in football.

The big thing that helps the MAC over the Belt is the amount of bowl tie-ins they have, that changes this year where the Belt improves to 3 bowl tie-ins, if I am not mistaken:

New Orleans Bowl--SBC Winner
    GMAC Bowl--SBC At Large
    I thought BOP mentioned something about a new bowl starting????

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Expansion and Raids, Turning College Football Upside Down

The perception of the SBC is changing; not as fast as we would like, but changing nonetheless. In FACT it is not the weakest conference in D1A football, and with the new bowl tie-ins, perception will soon catch up with fact.

_ Do you have any idea where Marshall is located? How about East Carolina? These are both CUSA members with Houston. Is a three hour flight to California that much harder to take than a two and a half hour flight to West Virginia or North Carolina? If having to face a flight of more than two hours is all that it takes to stop UL from pursuing membership in a better conference, then the current state of affairs in UL athletics is as good as it is going to get. Troy, North Texas, and MTSU, are all doing the things that they need to do to have a shot at getting an offer from a better conference once the next shakeup occurs. You can bet that it will take more than a little extra travel to stop them from moving on. What would the SBC be without those three schools? Meanwhile, UL sits idly by waiting on the day that the rest of the country starts to think of the SBC as something other than the lowest ranked D-1 conference in the nation. It will only get worse if we lose any of the three members mentioned. _

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ The perception of the SBC is changing; not as fast as we would like, but changing nonetheless. In FACT it is not the weakest conference in D1A football, and with the new bowl tie-ins, perception will soon catch up with fact. _
    In a multi-rung vertical ladder, it should not be our goal to be the second from the bottom. You must aspire to be "much" higher on the ladder before you truly move up... and just as importantly... hold your improved position.

The SBC is an incubator for premature FBS programs and older programs with poor circulation. Since none of us are currently highly attractive in every respect for life outside the incubator... we're "enjoying" a slow aggregate growth of the incubator itself. A very important key for UL is to make a massive push to the top of the incubator system in the next couple of years. If we do not, we are going to see one or more of our little infant siblings leap out and leave us behind. When they do, the old must on us is going to get even more stale. UL management needs to toss the security blanket, get the noo-noo out of their mouth, quit bawling over the things we can't control and get us out of these old stanky diapers.

Nonetheless... I did understand your point. The SBC, as a whole, has strengthened over the years in football. I have a big problem that have not been the muscled up lead dog pulling this lightly loaded sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Man---I think that Houston would be crazy to leave with the traveling involved

It would be worst than the jetlag the Cajuns had in the West Days--or that Tech now has!!!! _

That conference would be a major step up for Houston and may be their only place to step up. Look what it did for TCU? The MWC could possibly be the next BCS conference. And, the WAC has not hurt LA Tech, despite what many have said and continue to say. The WAC has been a major step up for Tech over the SBC and just may give them a nod over us when another conference comes calling. There might be more travel and slightly higher costs, but that will be greatly offset by the added revenue generated by the conference and the increased recognition and affiliation the MWC will bring. If your choice is to be in a revised CUSA adding Sun Belt schools or joining the MWC, it is a no brainer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by awadelewis View Post
    _ Same logic applies to Tulsa.

ND: Big East or Big Ten? I'd say if ND's serious about joining a conference that they'll want to get into the Big 10 as they have more traditional football rivalries with those schools. Hard to say if the Big 10 wants them.

I don't see CUSA picking up LaTech for many of the same reasons they didn't do so the last time CUSA expanded. Same reason why they wouldn't pick up Troy or us: market size. Much higher chance of them picking up WKU, MTSU, and UNT as much better markets in Nashville and Dallas. _

It is not always just about markets. Otherwise, schools in small towns would never be considered. Ever look at where some schools are located:

Clemson, SC
    Blacksburg, VA
    University Park, PA
    Waco, TX
    Ames, IA
    Greenville, NC
    Jimtomgtpm. WV
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Laramie, WY
    Starkville, MS
    Fayetteville, AR

Lafayette is in a large enough market and easy travel location along I 10 that makes it a viable conference member. Academically, we should also be fine and compatible with most conferences. BUT, it is not attractive as a winning program in ANY sport. Softball does not count. BUT, look what one winning bowl game did for MT. A bowl game next year for UL, a new basketball coach in men's and women's basketball with NCAA appearances and we are back on the map and our options increase. A return to winning baseball will help our cause as well, but the MONEY SPORTS, football and basketball rule. Add to that the improving facilities and apparent stepping up of football stadium improvements and UL becomes much more marketable than it is currently as a middle of the pack member of the worse conference in the country.

_ Here is a reminder that the MAC is the weakest conference in the nation, not the Sun Belt. The computer rankings at the end of the past season and the previous one showed that to be the case _

Regardless of what a one year computer ranking says, perception around the country is that the MAC is a better conference than the SBC. The MAC is well established, has a good perception by the public, has many name players in the pros, has beaten more BCS schools over the years, and will never be supplanted by the SBC. We can spin this any way we want to, but the SBC is the worse conference in the country and the sooner we leave it the better off we will be. Besides, when all of the conference realignment is finished, IF UL is still in the SBC, there will be nothing left of it to be of any consequence as the best teams will be gone.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ That conference would be a major step up for Houston and may be their only place to step up. Look what it did for TCU? The MWC could possibly be the next BCS conference. And, the WAC has not hurt LA Tech, despite what many have said and continue to say. The WAC has been a major step up for Tech over the SBC and just may give them a nod over us when another conference comes calling. There might be more travel and slightly higher costs, but that will be greatly offset by the added revenue generated by the conference and the increased recognition and affiliation the MWC will bring. If your choice is to be in a revised CUSA adding Sun Belt schools or joining the MWC, it is a no brainer, IMO. _
    I was one of the UL fans eager at the time to join the WAC. However, over time I think I have come to agree with those who say it would have bankrupted us due to the attitude of our administration at the time. Keep in mind that Tech had one very big booster who had the resources and th ewill to underwrite that venture for them. If not for him I think the doom and gloom scenario might have come to pass. Unfortunately, we did not and probably still do not have such a person with the resources and will to have done the same for us.

_ Regardless of what a one year computer ranking says, perception around the country is that the MAC is a better conference than the SBC. The MAC is well established, has a good perception by the public, has many name players in the pros, has beaten more BCS schools over the years, and will never be supplanted by the SBC. We can spin this any way we want to, but the SBC is the worse conference in the country and the sooner we leave it the better off we will be. Besides, when all of the conference realignment is finished, IF UL is still in the SBC, there will be nothing left of it to be of any consequence as the best teams will be gone. _
    It is not just this year that the SBC was ranked higher, it was last year as well. Until Central Michigan beat Troy in OT, the MAC had lost over 10 straight bowl games. The CMU QB is a pro prospect and I believe will start in the NFL within two years. He was an exceptional player which elevated that one team. You may be correct in that the perception of the MAC is above the SBC. The facts don't bear that out. Perception is only because of history. MAC has been around longer so they are more recognizable. In the future, you need to clarify this in your posts. Saying we are in the worst conference is not accurate.

_ It is not just this year that the SBC was ranked higher, it was last year as well. Until Central Michigan beat Troy in OT, the MAC had lost over 10 straight bowl games. The CMU QB is a pro prospect and I believe will start in the NFL within two years. He was an exceptional player which elevated that one team. You may be correct in that the perception of the MAC is above the SBC. The facts don't bear that out. Perception is only because of history. MAC has been around longer so they are more recognizable. In the future, you need to clarify this in your posts. Saying we are in the worst conference is not accurate. _

Yeah, but the best teams in the SBC are positioning themselves to join another conference when realignment takes place in the next 2 years. If UL does not position itself to move up as well, we will be left with the worst of the worst in the SBC, which will make us one of the worst. EVERY team in the SBC would move up to CUSA tomorrow if invited, including UL. Even though the SBC is improving, it will likely not be anything like it is now after realignment. We must think 2 years ahead and not where things are now.

_ Yeah, but the best teams in the SBC are positioning themselves to join another conference when realignment takes place in the next 2 years. If UL does not position itself to move up as well, we will be left with the worst of the worst in the SBC, which will make us one of the worst. EVERY team in the SBC would move up to CUSA tomorrow if invited, including UL. Even though the SBC is improving, it will likely not be anything like it is now after realignment. We must think 2 years ahead and not where things are now. _
    I agree with your points in that post. Positioning ourselves for improvement is critical and that is why the RCAF/facility enhancements need to be pushed. In the short term, the only thing we can do is have a strong spring sports season and address the basketball situation upon season's end. I do think that it will be difficult to make the NCAA tourney in basketball next year regardless of who is the coach. While recent games have shown we have more talent than I originally gave us credit for, we are not at a tournament level. We need more consistent rebounding inside for us to challenge. We are also losing the conference's best player and he may be the best player in the state. Despite that, the most important thing which needs to happen is to find a way to get all the former supporters back on board. In fact we need new ones. That sport used to mean something here and that can happen again if marketed properly.

_ It is not just this year that the SBC was ranked higher, it was last year as well. Until Central Michigan beat Troy in OT, the MAC had lost over 10 straight bowl games. The CMU QB is a pro prospect and I believe will start in the NFL within two years. He was an exceptional player which elevated that one team. You may be correct in that the perception of the MAC is above the SBC. The facts don't bear that out. Perception is only because of history. MAC has been around longer so they are more recognizable. In the future, you need to clarify this in your posts. Saying we are in the worst conference is not accurate. _
    Saying Houston is crazy to consider MWC membership due to travel concerns is not accurate either, but that is where we always go when talk of anyone improving their position by moving to a better conference comes up. We use that same old, worn out excuse for why we are satisfied with our lot in the SBC. Why don't WE embrace the idea that we may have to spend a little on travel expense in order to gain admission into a better conference. Is what we're doing now working for us? Most casual fans in the country couldn't name three members of the SBC or the MAC. The fact is, both conferences are in trouble and neither may survive the next round of realignment.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Saying Houston is crazy to consider MWC membership due to travel concerns is not accurate either, but that is where we always go when talk of anyone improving their position by moving to a better conference comes up. We use that same old, worn out excuse for why we are satisfied with our lot in the SBC. Why don't WE embrace the idea that we may have to spend a little on travel expense in order to gain admission into a better conference. Is what we're doing now working for us? Most casual fans in the country couldn't name three members of the SBC or the MAC. The fact is, both conferences are in trouble and neither may survive the next round of realignment. _
    If the MWC would come calling for us to join and we refused I would quit supporting the Cajuns period. I prefer the Belt over the WAC, but any other conference would be a step up.

Blog Entries

I have to agree with what Houston is saying. No matter what the rankings may say the SBC will always be looked at as the worste conference in the NCAA. Sure we may not statistically be ranked the lowest but people don't pay attention to conference rankings like it's the Top 25. You can't find them in the newspaper for the casual reader. When talking about conferences public perception is what matters.

Cajun4Life....I would more than likely accept an offer from the MAC or WAC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast