View Poll Results: Should the Basketball Staff Be Retained ?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 85.45%
  • No

8 14.55%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball...nsas-villanova

You cant pick and choose the stats that fit your narrative. Of course, the top 3 will have a greater winning percentage. That's how they got to be top 3.
    You can call BS all you want but it doesnt change the fact that a college mens basketball game is hardest to win on the road.

MAT--You are right. We have been able to witness some entertaining basketball from a team that few expected much out of and we are debating road win/loss records. Crazy!
    I'm not saying things are perfect. I have my own complaints about certain things.

All I'm saying is, we have something brewing here. Something good. Let's put our swords down long enough to enjoy it.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball...nsas-villanova

You cant pick and choose the stats that fit your narrative. Of course, the top 3 will have a greater winning percentage. That's how they got to be top 3.
    You can call BS all you want but it doesnt change the fact that a college mens basketball game is hardest to win on the road.

MAT--You are right. We have been able to witness some entertaining basketball from a team that few expected much out of and we are debating road win/loss records. Crazy!
    MAT is correct, of course. Our players have performed very well of late, and they have been very entertaining to watch.

What other stats should I use? My position is that if we are not consistently in the top three in the conference, that is totally unacceptable. Any stats comparing Marlin to the top 3 in the conference are valid precisely because I expect more from our program than we have been getting. If I were happy with 2 top 3 finishes in 7 years, then the comparison would not be valid.

I have made my point. I will give it a rest until the offseason.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Basketball Staff ?

I am not happy we have not been in top three more consistently as well. However this was not the season we should have expected that to occur when we were playing so many new guys. That is why over 85 percent of respondents voted to retain and i am confident the overall support is over 90. In answer to Just 1 More's ? As to why i put out the poll is simply i was curious as to what the response would be. I should have waited till all games have been played as I suspect we will be in a minor tournament. The poll results do support the view a change is not even a consideration in the mind of anyone that counts at this stage.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Mike this poll only confirmed my view that MBB is now considered a minor sport at UL. A coach just has to be mediocre, and have nice, polite young men who go to classes.

As VO pointed out the lowest money generating sport among sports that are supposed to generate money. In most universities baseball, and softball should not be in the top three, here we are.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Mike this poll only confirmed my view that MBB is now considered a minor sport at UL. A coach just has to be mediocre, and have nice, polite young men who go to classes.

As VO pointed out the lowest money generating sport among sports that are supposed to generate money. In most universities baseball, and softball should not be in the top three, here we are.
    Lower than baseball or softball in sport specific donations; still second to football in revenue.

nice, polite young men who go to classes.

We could also be Baylor. Win at all costs and sell your soul.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I suspect the results will be different a year from now with a 10 and 8 conference record. Results this year were somewhat impacted by low expectations going in. While you may have expected more this year, the great majority of people did not. Many if not most predicted a losing season and some predicted a season of disaster. That was based on having only three returning players and five freshman playing. They have to improve next season to maintain support and they know it.

Makes sense.. probably why we just spent millions to renovate and turn the dome into a mini NBA arena..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Makes sense.. probably why we just spent millions to renovate and turn the dome into a mini NBA arena..
    I cant argue this either.. Our baseballers make $$$$$. Saves other sports big time from the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I cant argue this either.. Our baseballers make $$$$$. Saves other sports big time from the profit.
    Baseball doesn't make money.. We lose less money than most, but we don't end the seasons in the black..

Blog Entries

Baseball doesn't make money.. We lose less money than most, but we don't end the seasons in the black..

huh ? we sell out etc. How we dont make $$$ expenses?

huh ? we sell out etc. How we dont make $$$ expenses?
    Nope. Might change now with the new park, but we usually end up breaking even, or just shy.

Blog Entries

Nope. Might change now with the new park, but we usually end up breaking even, or just shy.
    So basically, with more butts in seats and expenses the same counting concessions profit we make $$.

So basically, with more butts in seats and expenses the same counting concessions profit we make $$.
    Boxes, patio boxes, suites and advertising.. Those things alone, I believe, will turn a profit.

Blog Entries

Boxes, patio boxes, suites and advertising.. Those things alone, I believe, will turn a profit.
    Dude, Baseball programs at other schools must be one big budgetary drain if we only barely breaking even and slightly in the red b4 Russo Park came around

Dude, Baseball programs at other schools must be one big budgetary drain if we only barely breaking even and slightly in the red b4 Russo Park came around
    Baseball in most places is essentially a title IX sport.. hemorrhage money.

Blog Entries

There have been years were baseball was the only sport to run in the black.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    There have been years were baseball was the only sport to run in the black.
    When?

Keep in mind the cost of scholarships hits each sport. That is a big part of football cost. Baseball has less scholarships than basketball which helps that sport. I think that is funny money to some extent which is why athletics is not as much of a financial drain as some propose

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Keep in mind the cost of scholarships hits each sport. That is a big part of football cost. Baseball has less scholarships than basketball which helps that sport. I think that is funny money to some extent which is why athletics is not as much of a financial drain as some propose
    You're right Mike. Three hundred scholarships don't put any kind of a dent in fixed or variable costs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast