View Poll Results: Should the Basketball Staff Be Retained ?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 85.45%
  • No

8 14.55%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Since some here have declared us superior to Tech, here is their overall record for the last 7 seasons:

Home: 85-14
    Road: 49-58
    Neutral: 14-7

Sadly, over that span, they are better than us at home, better than us on the road, and better than us at neutral sites.
    But not better than us in the most apples to apples comparison: head to head record.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Basketball Staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    But not better than us in the most apples to apples comparison: head to head record.
    While I hate Tech and enjoy our wins over them immensely, in the broader view; 90% of the general public will say their basketball program is ahead of ours. Our wins over them are looked at as 'upsets' or 'rivalry games' where you 'throw out the records'.

And they will be correct.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

When you talk about staff replacement, if you do replace the staff would the redshirts who are sitting out this year be able to transfer without penalty?

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Staff ?

Athletes often aren't allowed transfers just because a coaching staff is replaced. Regardless most likely most wouldn't find it to their benefit to lose a years eligibility. Remember most requests for transfers are approved by schools and NCAA but all suffer at least one year, and some two years loss of eligibility.

You have data to back that up?
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123612655303924107

Average NCAA MBB road winning % is 34
    Unless my math is off, we are 1% better than the average.
    Of course the big programs play most of their OOC games at home so it throws off the stats a bit.

Of course I'm taking some medication right now so its possible the answer is "blue" or "North".

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

So Marlin is about average, or as he's better known mediocre.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123612655303924107

Average NCAA MBB road winning % is 34
    Unless my math is off, we are 1% better than the average.
    Of course the big programs play most of their OOC games at home so it throws off the stats a bit.

Of course I'm taking some medication right now so its possible the answer is "blue" or "North".
    A more pertinent question would be: What is the mean road winning percentage for teams in the top 3 of their conference?

Keep him at least 1 more year. No extensions unless we make a good showing at the big dance this year or next year.
    We need to focus hard on football improvement this next year.
    Also no head coach replacing until our new AD has a year to study them and plan the best way for strategic replacements.

Non P5 program, this is the bottom line.

21 wins. First winning road record for UL in years. Marlin isn't going anywhere due to performance. Doesn't matter who we beat, 21 wins are 21 wins. Doesn't matter if I or anyone else would like to see better competition. Our team doesn't quit, which says a lot. This team could have laid down weeks ago, but they did not. Yes, when winning, the credit goes to the players. Just look to the east what happens when a coach loses his team. 20+ point beatdowns are the norm.

He will finish somewhere between third and 8th. He will have a winning D1 record. The team's RPI will be between 90 and 150. We will lose 60% of our games against equal or better talent.

And most of the people on here will want to renew his contract.

I would love to be proven wrong, because Marlin is a genuinely good guy who brings in character kids who play hard and represent us with class. But we have a large sample size already of what Marlin is capable of doing.

Marlin is the Ricky Bustle of UL basketball.
    Marlin is the Ricky Bustle of UL Basketball "
    That is the greatest comparison I have seen in a while!! 👍👍

A more pertinent question would be: What is the mean road winning percentage for teams in the top 3 of their conference?
    No VO!! People want to know if he's at least average. He's right in there. There's comfort in average. Just looking at how some coaches in SBC still having losing records after three and four years in their jobs. I can understand the comfort with mediocre.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Timing of your question is what will tilt most opinions. During a winning streak, they see promise and want to keep the staff. After a bad loss, if it were to happen, and is very likely to happen, would make many change their mind.
    Happy Birthday to Coach Marlin and Coach Hardin.
    You are correct. My thought was that since the regular season was over, it might be interesting to see the results. I could have waited until the end of the conference tournament to put the poll out and results may have been different. I could have also waited until all games are played (I presume we will be in CIT or CBI if we don't win the Sun Belt tournament) and still a different outcome may have resulted. Putting it out right after one of the best home wins in years perhaps did result in slightly more support than normal. Still, the great majority want to retain.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    When you talk about staff replacement, if you do replace the staff would the redshirts who are sitting out this year be able to transfer without penalty?
    Answer is simply no. To clarify, the people who are sitting out this year are transfers from other D1 schools, they are not "redshirts". That is why they could not transfer again without penalty. One of them wanted to come here badly enough he paid his own way in the fall semester. I think that is because he is friends with one of the other guys who had transferred. Similar deal to why Frank Bartley transferred from BYU (were he enjoyed his time). In addition to wanting to be closer to home and having more of an offensive role, he was good friends with Jonathon Stove since his HS days. Frank had a rough game yesterday but he definitely had a positive impact on the team this year. If all three of the current transfers can do the same, next year should be a successful season.

Over the last 7 years, the road record for teams finishing in the top 3 in the Sun Belt is 164-155 [51.41%]. If you take out the road record of the Cajuns in the two years they finished third, the road record of the other 5 years is 154-136 [53.10%].

Even in years we have finished fairly well in the conference, we have under-performed on the road. I call BS on the 'hard to win on the road' mantra. Yes, it is harder than winning at home, but good teams win more than they lose on the road. The mean Conference RPI of the Sun Belt in that span is 18, so the SBC is a slightly below average conference [18th of 33]. The road record of the top 3 over 7 years should fairly closely mirror the mean road record of the top three in all conferences combined over the same span.

I should add that the road record of fourth place teams in the Sunbelt over the last 7 years is 40-65 [38.1%], so Marlin's road performance is below that level.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So Marlin is about average, or as he's better known mediocre.
    I struggle with calling average mediocre. To me.. and this may just be me but Lee was mediocre. Marlin to this point has been average but I can't in good conscious call him mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I struggle with calling average mediocre. To me.. and this may just be me but Lee was mediocre. Marlin to this point has been average but I can't in good conscious call him mediocre.
    From dictionary.com

mediocre: adjective
    of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate:
    The car gets only mediocre mileage, but it's fun to drive.
    Synonyms: undistinguished, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday; run-of-the-mill.

Looks like a pretty fair description of Marlin's results to me.

I have to be honest, it's pretty sad that we are having this conversation right now. Disappointing really.

Whether you like it or not; whether you agree with the direction of the program or not; whether you think we can win this tourney or not... this is without question the best part of the year in MBB. Not only that, this team is getting BETTER before our eyes, playing their asses off and representing us all very well in NOLA.

IMO they've regained some confidence and look like they did in the beginning of the year. I may be in the minority but I actually do think we can win and go dancing. Which btw, would be a an outstanding accomplishment, all things considered. We have an individual playing a brand of ball that doesn't get seen often around here. Jay Wright is on a mission and I for one appreciate what he's doing and I'm damn intruiged to watch.

We can pizz and moan in the offseason.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Should the UL Men's Basketball Staff be Retained ?

Yes

No
    Sorry for such a late response. I'm curious what prompted you to ask this, at this point. We certainly know that after this season (20+ wins) and the promise of the transfers next year, we are not in a situation... by any means... of discussing a staff change this year. Given only losing Jay and having these stellar transfers coming in... I would add that we can't make any prognostication of our staff's future until next year's results are in.

I don't think there's any question that Marlin has temporarily removed discussion of his potential departure for another season. And to add to that... being that half of the acrimony is over scheduling (and fund raising to buy better opponents)... I think Dr. Maggard is going to be part of the blame going forward. This question is in a suspended state... IMO... until the close of next season.

Given:
    1. our budget constraints
    2. What the team did this year in a supposed down talent year

He gets a chance to coach what is supposed to be an UP talent year next year. If he does well he stays. If not the seat should be hot, or maybe even have the eject button pushed. Since that takes us to the end of the contract anyway.

Over the last 7 years, the road record for teams finishing in the top 3 in the Sun Belt is 164-155 [51.41%]. If you take out the road record of the Cajuns in the two years they finished third, the road record of the other 5 years is 154-136 [53.10%].

Even in years we have finished fairly well in the conference, we have under-performed on the road. I call BS on the 'hard to win on the road' mantra. Yes, it is harder than winning at home, but good teams win more than they lose on the road. The mean Conference RPI of the Sun Belt in that span is 18, so the SBC is a slightly below average conference [18th of 33]. The road record of the top 3 over 7 years should fairly closely mirror the mean road record of the top three in all conferences combined over the same span.

I should add that the road record of fourth place teams in the Sunbelt over the last 7 years is 40-65 [38.1%], so Marlin's road performance is below that level.
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball...nsas-villanova

You cant pick and choose the stats that fit your narrative. Of course, the top 3 will have a greater winning percentage. That's how they got to be top 3.
    You can call BS all you want but it doesnt change the fact that a college mens basketball game is hardest to win on the road.

MAT--You are right. We have been able to witness some entertaining basketball from a team that few expected much out of and we are debating road win/loss records. Crazy!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast