View Poll Results: Should the Basketball Staff Be Retained ?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 85.45%
  • No

8 14.55%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    That makes a little more sense.. but I have to say i've been a season ticket holder for 7 years now and the last two home games were two of the most fun I have been to. The home winning streak was nice.. but there was something about those last two games there were fun.
    Felt the same.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Basketball Staff ?

If you consider UL to be a 'Second 100' program [as our RPI during Marlin's tenure would seem to indicate], Marlin coached Cajun Teams are 35-49 against our peers in the 101-200 RPI range. We are 9-33 against top 100 teams. It is only against the dregs of Division 1 basketball that Marlin's teams have excelled [70-20 against 201-351 RPI].

I suspect that most programs are pretty similar both above and below their peer groups, but better programs are much more successful against their peers. I am not satisfied with 42% winning against our peers, and I would like to see a somewhat higher than 21% win rate against the top 100. I don't believe we will get that on any kind of consistent basis with Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    If you consider UL to be a 'Second 100' program [as our RPI during Marlin's tenure would seem to indicate], Marlin coached Cajun Teams are 35-49 against our peers in the 101-200 RPI range. We are 9-33 against top 100 teams. It is only against the dregs of Division 1 basketball that Marlin's teams have excelled [70-20 against 201-351 RPI].

I suspect that most programs are pretty similar both above and below their peer groups, but better programs are much more successful against their peers. I am not satisfied with 42% winning against our peers, and I would like to see a somewhat higher than 21% win rate against the top 100. I don't believe we will get that on any kind of consistent basis with Marlin.
    If you wouldn't mind, and you have the data, can you break that info down a little farther by showing home game records versus away game records in the three tiers.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    If you wouldn't mind, and you have the data, can you break that info down a little farther by showing home game records versus away game records in the three tiers.
    Sure, but it will take a while. Sometime tomorrow I should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    They absolutely deserve to be back, that being said next year is key to their fate. I personally believe expectations for next year will be higher than ever, even when Long announced he was staying for his senior year. Washington, Stove, and Bartley as Seniors, the 3 P5 transfers, and the most high profile recruit straight from high school during Marlin's tenure.

Along with the win loss record, I want to see how the staff handles this years freshman class as they will all see a decrease in playing time. Miller might welcome it with his knee issues, and if Brown is willing to redshirt that would be best. How Evans and Davis will fit in next year remain to be seen. Each of those guys needs to stick around as they could all develop into key players by the time they are seniors. If the attrition bug bites again that would be another cause for concern with this staff.
    Good post:

Miller has to get his butt in the APC & get his weight under control & get fit. He has shown a nice skill set BUT he has to build some muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Should the UL Men's Basketball Staff be Retained ?

Yes

No
    I would say no, even though we all know they will be. We are a middle of the road Sun Belt team, and plenty of history has shown to not expect much more than that with this staff. Just because there is hype surrounding transfers for next year, doesn't really mean anything at this point. A thousand things can happen to derail the next season also. Tired of hype.

Considering he pretty much had to start over by cleaning house in year 2 (or whatever year it was), I think he deserves some what of a break from the "he's been here 8 years" chants.

For me? Strong NCAA showing next year or bust.

He will finish somewhere between third and 8th. He will have a winning D1 record. The team's RPI will be between 90 and 150. We will lose 60% of our games against equal or better talent.

And most of the people on here will want to renew his contract.

I would love to be proven wrong, because Marlin is a genuinely good guy who brings in character kids who play hard and represent us with class. But we have a large sample size already of what Marlin is capable of doing.

Marlin is the Ricky Bustle of UL basketball.
    I am afraid we might replace him with the Mark Hudspeth of basketball coaches. We have a large sample size for doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    I am afraid we might replace him with the Mark Hudspeth of basketball coaches. We have a large sample size for doing just that.
    New AD might not think so........

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I would say no, even though we all know they will be. We are a middle of the road Sun Belt team, and plenty of history has shown to not expect much more than that with this staff. Just because there is hype surrounding transfers for next year, doesn't really mean anything at this point. A thousand things can happen to derail the next season also. Tired of hype.

I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion. Good points made by all in sharing both pro and con views. I appreciate the respectful way those views were presented. It is true that it is unknown how the transfers will perform and other things could impact the situation negatively. By the same token, positive things could occur. Another strong player could be brought in during spring recruiting for example. It is interesting that over 85% of respondents to date believe he should be retained. That tells me his overall support may be over 90% as people I speak to outside of RP are not even aware this is a debate. That is a pretty strong endorsement. Now, a poor performance this afternoon would probably drop that support below 50%.

Note Coach Marlin had a birthday on Sunday and assistant coach Neil Hardin had one yesterday. Their team gave them an early birthday present on Saturday night with the best effort we have seen in a home game in a few years Despite what any of us think about the job they are doing, I am sure we all wish they enjoyed their birthdays. After all, they only come around once a year.

I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion. Good points made by all in sharing both pro and con views. I appreciate the respectful way those views were presented. It is true that it is unknown how the transfers will perform and other things could impact the situation negatively. By the same token, positive things could occur. Another strong player could be brought in during spring recruiting for example. It is interesting that over 85% of respondents to date believe he should be retained. That tells me his overall support may be over 90% as people I speak to outside of RP are not even aware this is a debate. That is a pretty strong endorsement. Now, a poor performance this afternoon would probably drop that support below 50%.

Note Coach Marlin had a birthday on Sunday and assistant coach Neil Hardin had one yesterday. Their team gave them an early birthday present on Saturday night with the best effort we have seen in a home game in a few years Despite what any of us think about the job they are doing, I am sure we all wish they enjoyed their birthdays. After all, they only come around once a year.
    Timing of your question is what will tilt most opinions. During a winning streak, they see promise and want to keep the staff. After a bad loss, if it were to happen, and is very likely to happen, would make many change their mind.
    Happy Birthday to Coach Marlin and Coach Hardin.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Here's hoping Marlin wins his next ten games and prove all his detractors dead wrong. At least the next three.

Mike I voted to retain. I'm not totally pleased with Marlin's success but I think he has earned the right for at least one more year. I also don't think everything is within his control.

Personally I don't think the Cajuns will ever be a national power in basketball but we should expect to compete year in and out for a conference championship in this league.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I take a totally different view on national power. I'm saying why not us? Then work on the legitimate hurdles. Absolutely shocking that we're consistently a middle of the road basketball power in the SBC hierarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Here you go:

1-100 Record

Home: 6-7
    Road: 2-22
    Neutral: 1-3

101-200 Record

Home: 19-16
    Road: 11-30
    Neutral: 3-3

201-351 Record

Home: 40-3
    Road: 24-16
    Neutral: 5-1

Overall Record

Home: 65-26
    Road: 37-68
    Neutral: 9-8

The numerical error is from my having mistakenly put a team with an RPI of exactly 100 in the wrong group yesterday.

Here you go:

1-100 Record

Home: 6-7
    Road: 2-22
    Neutral: 1-3

101-200 Record

Home: 19-16
    Road: 11-30
    Neutral: 3-3

201-351 Record

Home: 40-3
    Road: 24-16
    Neutral: 5-1

Overall Record

Home: 65-26
    Road: 37-68
    Neutral: 9-8

The numerical error is from my having mistakenly put a team with an RPI of exactly 100 in the wrong group yesterday.
    Damn, we're terrible on the road...

About average on the road

Blog Entries

It is interesting that over 85% of respondents to date believe he should be retained. That tells me his overall support may be over 90% as people I speak to outside of RP are not even aware this is a debate. That is a pretty strong endorsement.
    Hey now.

You started the poll and still blamed it on RP.

Not fair.

jk

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    About average on the road
    You have data to back that up?

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Staff ?

Since some here have declared us superior to Tech, here is their overall record for the last 7 seasons:

Home: 85-14
    Road: 49-58
    Neutral: 14-7

Sadly, over that span, they are better than us at home, better than us on the road, and better than us at neutral sites.

Tech's Record for last 7 season vs:

Top 100: 19-32
    101-200: 37-31
    201-351: 92-16

Again, better than us against the top 200, about the same vs 201-351.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast