Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 134

Thread: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Louisiana vs UTA

    20-11...10-8......8th place and the majority don't care either way...20-11 and hardly anyone cares is the problem..you might disagree with it or resent the problem but it is in fact a problem. A problem Marlin created and one he needs to fix if he wants to stay here. No coach will last once the fans stop caring if the team wins or loses.


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default Re: Louisiana vs UTA

    Were you there the last couple games? Sure seemed to be quite a few people that cared if we won or lost.

    Sorry, but if a fan doesn't care about a 20 win team, that's not a coach problem, that's a you problem.


  3. #43
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,347

    Default Re: Louisiana vs UTA

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Were you there the last couple games? Sure seemed to be quite a few people that cared if we won or lost.

    Sorry, but if a fan doesn't care about a 20 win team, that's not a coach problem, that's a you problem.
    ---Brock--guy you are on a roll--the Cajuns are winning pretty much in all the Spring Sports and the unthinkable happened---Yes your Honey Bears did it

    Add to this the expectations of the new AD and the C-Dome being redone along with Tigue/Russo

    and what if the Saints get EMcG???


  4. #44
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Winning road record and 20 win season with several freshmen playing significant minutes..

    It's an accomplishment. This was our best defensive game in years and Harvey was OUT OF HIS MIND from the field. Like I said, best non tourney win of the Marlin era.

    I'm a realist.. but we have to know how to appreciate the process. This team has done some nice things this season. Not to mention, playing with confidence and momentum going into the SBC tourney..
    Here's a reality check. Louisiana with a six game winning streak is by far the hottest team in the conference. The next closest is two win streak.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Louisiana vs UTA

    The competition in the sun belt this year was actually a lot better than it has been in recent years.


  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: Louisiana vs UTA

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Were you there the last couple games? Sure seemed to be quite a few people that cared if we won or lost.

    Sorry, but if a fan doesn't care about a 20 win team, that's not a coach problem, that's a you problem.
    Well said.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Were you there the last couple games? Sure seemed to be quite a few people that cared if we won or lost.

    Sorry, but if a fan doesn't care about a 20 win team, that's not a coach problem, that's a you problem.
    As someone who has had season tickets for 16 years...still currently does, sorry don't think I'm the problem. Why don't you buy tickets to something you don't enjoy anymore and come talk to me.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    As someone who has had season tickets for 16 years...still currently does, sorry don't think I'm the problem. Why don't you buy tickets to something you don't enjoy anymore and come talk to me.
    What part of a young, energetic 20 win team do you not enjoy? If scheduling is your issue, I have hope that Dr. Maggart will be a big help. And if you DO think that Marlin is the reason you don't enjoy basketball anymore, then you're not doing your cause any favors. Speak with your wallet. Give up your tickets. If you want a change, make it known. But don't keep tickets just so you can say you have tickets. Direct that energy and money towards a sport you feel is moving in the right direction. Direct it towards the RCAF general fund. You'd be doing a service to our entire athletic department by focusing on what you enjoy because you'd be more likely to invest even more time and money in that area than you are if you're currently unhappy with basketball. Just don't stand here and say "I buy tickets to stuff I don't like" as if that gives you some kind of fandom authority.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    What part of a young, energetic 20 win team do you not enjoy? If scheduling is your issue, I have hope that Dr. Maggart will be a big help. And if you DO think that Marlin is the reason you don't enjoy basketball anymore, then you're not doing your cause any favors. Speak with your wallet. Give up your tickets. If you want a change, make it known. But don't keep tickets just so you can say you have tickets. Direct that energy and money towards a sport you feel is moving in the right direction. Direct it towards the RCAF general fund. You'd be doing a service to our entire athletic department by focusing on what you enjoy because you'd be more likely to invest even more time and money in that area than you are if you're currently unhappy with basketball. Just don't stand here and say "I buy tickets to stuff I don't like" as if that gives you some kind of fandom authority.
    It doesn't but I've watched my section of 25 season ticket holders dwindle to 2...but you are right, I'm the problem. Each basketball thread has the same 8 posters. People are indifferent. Ricky Bustle pulled the same 10k people no matter what he did...you sound like you are one who would be there no matter what...I hate to break it to you...programs are built on die hard fans...they don't advance with only die hards. Going into year 8, Marlin has failed to capture the casual fan. The die hards always want to speak in facts and reality...well there it is. It's the same people year after year...it's not growing. The casual fan doesnt care about the basketball program.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,385
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    I don't think the fans were lost under Marlin they were lost under Lee. (JMO ICBW )

    Under Marlin there have been events that caused the casual fan to hold back.

    Even with the midseason slump, this year was not the problem. (not that anyone said it was)


  11. #51
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    It doesn't but I've watched my section of 25 season ticket holders dwindle to 2...but you are right, I'm the problem. Each basketball thread has the same 8 posters. People are indifferent. Ricky Bustle pulled the same 10k people no matter what he did...you sound like you are one who would be there no matter what...I hate to break it to you...programs are built on die hard fans...they don't advance with only die hards. Going into year 8, Marlin has failed to capture the casual fan. The die hards always want to speak in facts and reality...well there it is. It's the same people year after year...it's not growing. The casual fan doesnt care about the basketball program.
    I agree casual fans are not following basketball. However i think that is the case for all football playing southern mid majors. I bet few draw over 4000 in last game. To do better you have to be special and we have been ok at times but not special. That does not mean this team does not deserve recognition for what they did accomplish. Most predicted a losing season and they have proved many wrong. Regardless of what you think of the staff at least give the players credit for playing together and giving their all. By the way, they tied for sixth, they were not eighth. Reason people are not upset is this was a rebuilding year with few expectations. Next year should be better but I would not guarantee it as losing Jay will be tough and who knows if the new guys will be able to help keep the good chemistry going.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I agree casual fans are not following basketball. However i think that is the case for all football playing southern mid majors. I bet few draw over 4000 in last game. To do better you have to be special and we have been ok at times but not special. That does not mean this team does not deserve recognition for what they did accomplish. Most predicted a losing season and they have proved many wrong. Regardless of what you think of the staff at least give the players credit for playing together and giving their all. By the way, they tied for sixth, they were not eighth. Reason people are not upset is this was a rebuilding year with few expectations. Next year should be better but I would not guarantee it as losing Jay will be tough and who knows if the new guys will be able to help keep the good chemistry going.
    I can go out tomorrow and sell a thousand corporate tickets for a 1$ to advertisers and inflate our attendance. That's my point mike, people aren't upset...they don't care. I rather upset than not GAF. It will be year 8 and we are hoping for better than 6th.

  13. #53
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,104

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    I can go out tomorrow and sell a thousand corporate tickets for a 1$ to advertisers and inflate our attendance. That's my point mike, people aren't upset...they don't care. I rather upset than not GAF. It will be year 8 and we are hoping for better than 6th.
    I think people care. I just think they don't care about teams that are not competitive for regular season conference tities and possible NCAA/NIT berths. Witness as direct evidence that baseball and softball totalled 7000 in attendance yesterday and all baseball games were finished before men's basketball started; yet only 4200 showed up for the game last night.

    I think they don't care about coaches who openly say that the regular season doesn't matter, it's all about 3 games in March. I think they don't care about a winning D1 record over a 7 year span when less than 2 wins a year are against teams in the top 100 RPI, and less than 10 wins a year are against teams in the top 200 RPI.

    Guys like you and I go because we like basketball and we develop a love for our players; but the fan base won't grow unless there is a drastic positive change in the direction of the program.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,571

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    The casual fan made more games this year than in years past. The building renovation was responsible for most of that.

    You guys know I'm all for crusades.. but make sure you're on the right crusade. Marlin has not produced to my liking. It's well documented how I feel about that. However, our men's basketball program is in some extreme disadvantages that the casual fans have no idea exists. It's why I don't rip the guy too much. We have a nice, beautiful venue to play in, yes, but do you guys know how cluster fked the financials are when dealing the the dome? How about the ad dollars? How about paying WBB's bills? Did you know now, UNO won't even come to the cajundome to play us? How about Northwestern? The list is a long one.

    I'm not one to make excuses and I'm not saying it's impossible to win big here. What I am saying is that there are substantial hurdles with our "arrangement" with the dome and MBB money. If you guys want to crusade for something, that's the direction you need to head in.


  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    4,198

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    Our conference MUST get markedly better. Unless a team runs the entire conference regular season and shows well in the conference tournament, it will always come down to 3 games in March. UTA screwed the pooch losing to CC (185), Troy (181), Texas State (193) and UL (112). As great a season they had, any chance at an at large bid done in by conference foes.


  16. #56
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,608

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I think people care. I just think they don't care about teams that are not competitive for regular season conference tities and possible NCAA/NIT berths. Witness as direct evidence that baseball and softball totalled 7000 in attendance yesterday and all baseball games were finished before men's basketball started; yet only 4200 showed up for the game last night.

    I think they don't care about coaches who openly say that the regular season doesn't matter, it's all about 3 games in March. I think they don't care about a winning D1 record over a 7 year span when less than 2 wins a year are against teams in the top 100 RPI, and less than 10 wins a year are against teams in the top 200 RPI.

    Guys like you and I go because we like basketball and we develop a love for our players; but the fan base won't grow unless there is a drastic positive change in the direction of the program.
    There are several people who post here who would like a change in staff and I don't think that will change unless NIT or NCAA berths are garnered. However, the general basketball people I talk to in town don't really see that as an issue when I visit with them. I bet if you put a poll out for Cajun fans in general with a question as to if the staff should be changed, the answer would be no by a significant margin. Now, I disagree with VO and agree with Hark Mudspeth, the average fan does not care about basketball anymore. I don't think that will change soon due to the fact that is the case almost everywhere in the south these days. We would have to get to the Sweet 16 and back to the tourney the next year for that to change.

  17. #57
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,608

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Our conference MUST get markedly better. Unless a team runs the entire conference regular season and shows well in the conference tournament, it will always come down to 3 games in March. UTA screwed the pooch losing to App (300+) and cemented it last night against UL (@ 150). As great a season they had, any chance at an at large bid done in by conference foes.
    Our conference is 13th amongst over 30 leagues this year.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    I don't care about basketball anymore. Might've missed 5 games TOTAL since 1999.

    Built in excuses every year
    Terrible home scheduling
    Questionable recruiting

    It took an arse to the fire to go get transfers

    Change is needed, but it won't happen because its March and it's time for Monotone Bob to shine


  19. #59
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,104

    UL Basketball Re: MBB: Louisiana vs UTA

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The casual fan made more games this year than in years past. The building renovation was responsible for most of that.

    You guys know I'm all for crusades.. but make sure you're on the right crusade. Marlin has not produced to my liking. It's well documented how I feel about that. However, our men's basketball program is in some extreme disadvantages that the casual fans have no idea exists. It's why I don't rip the guy too much. We have a nice, beautiful venue to play in, yes, but do you guys know how cluster fked the financials are when dealing the the dome? How about the ad dollars? How about paying WBB's bills? Did you know now, UNO won't even come to the cajundome to play us? How about Northwestern? The list is a long one.

    I'm not one to make excuses and I'm not saying it's impossible to win big here. What I am saying is that there are substantial hurdles with our "arrangement" with the dome and MBB money. If you guys want to crusade for something, that's the direction you need to head in.
    MAT, I know our arrangement with the dome is less than satisfactory. I also know that MBB has been required to provide some financial support to WBB. I believe our change in AD has or will correct the latter.

    I also know that certain instate and SLC schools won't come here to play. I wish none of them would come. Maybe that would force him to schedule better teams.

    But, as you know, Marlin has attracted less direct support of MBB, in terms of money given to the program, than baseball or softball, to the tune of about a 3 to 1 advantage for each of the stick and ball sports. That dog don't hunt.

    Just as a point of info, Marlin's D1 career record here is now 114-102, which doesn't sound too bad unless you know that only 44 of those wins came against teams in the top 200 RPI. 70 wins (and 20 losses) are against RPI 201-351.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    4,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    I don't care about basketball anymore. Might've missed 5 games TOTAL since 1999.

    Built in excuses every year
    Terrible home scheduling
    Questionable recruiting

    It took an arse to the fire to go get transfers

    Change is needed, but it won't happen because its March and it's time for Monotone Bob to shine
    Know how you feel. Marty was my Marlin. Missed 2 games from off suspension in 70's thru 92. Same complaint many have today, crap OOC scheduling.

    Walked away and just came back a few years ago. A date night with wife is the priority now.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •