Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs. Nicholls

Default Re: Louisiana vs. Nicholls

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    It's depressing to think that we may be wasting one of the best pitching staffs in school history
    We aren't wasting anything. This is not going last. The hits will come. We will be in postseason in June while the Mcneese's and Nicholl's of the world will be at home. Once it all comes together this team will be one of the best in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I don't think it fixes the problem but that is part of owning it. I can certainly see your point about the environment. But I happen to think if that were true Deggs wouldn't have been successful either. But we are known as a program that puts pitching and defense ahead of hitting. Robe doesn't shy away from that.
    I think this needs a little clarification.

Recruiting......... Pitching has nothing to do with offense. So lets separate those two issues. We now have defense and offense. No doubt we aren't recruting someone on offensive numbers alone but they also have to have some offense. Problem is that most high school kids haven't seen anything close to Div 1 pitching.

Point being is that "hitting" is probably the least transferable attribute of the three.

With all that said I think we are behind the curve on offense. NOT because of what I've seen in a few innings of baseball this season but taking the whole curve over the past decade (yes I looked up the stats).

I will say this and' it is one of those things I can't prove through stats. Almost every college team hits a cold spell. I've watched Cajun baseball since 85' and more years than not we tend to hit that slump early ( Robichaux years for sure)... that isn't a hard fast rule but I think it is pretty accurate. On the flip side I think LSU hits that cold spell most years around the 2/3rds mark. Obviously the recover most years.

Baseball is a strange game and I can't argue that our hitting is....well....kinda...nevermind.....

I still believe it will work itself out but I've been wrong before......according to my wife....

Maybe we can get Emilio Estevez to teach our hitters the Flying V.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post

Recruiting......... Pitching has nothing to do with offense. So lets separate those two issues. We now have defense and offense. No doubt we aren't recruting someone on offensive numbers alone but they also have to have some offense. Problem is that most high school kids haven't seen anything close to Div 1 pitching.

Point being is that "hitting" is probably the least transferable attribute of the three.

With all that said I think we are behind the curve on offense. NOT because of what I've seen in a few innings of baseball this season but taking the whole curve over the past decade (yes I looked up the stats).

I will say this and' it is one of those things I can't prove through stats. Almost every college team hits a cold spell. I've watched Cajun baseball since 85' and more years than not we tend to hit that slump early ( Robichaux years for sure)... that isn't a hard fast rule but I think it is pretty accurate. On the flip side I think LSU hits that cold spell most years around the 2/3rds mark. Obviously the recover most years.

Baseball is a strange game and I can't argue that our hitting is....well....kinda...nevermind.....

I still believe it will work itself out but I've been wrong before......according to my wife....
    A glass half full kinda guy.. I dig it

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Baseball Re: Louisiana vs. Nicholls

Jay says at least the cajuns have not given up a 15 run inning. No doubt a good thing, but we are batting well under two hundred for the season. Thats a lot of painful innings.

Jay still polishing this turd as best as he can.

Well said. I also think our program is tailored the way it is after many years of LSU getting to recruit the premiere hitters in the State that want to play guerilla ball (or is it gorilla?)

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

If we could only get the high average players. and actually transfer that to game day.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Jay says at least the cajuns have not given up a 15 run inning. No doubt a good thing, but we are batting well under two hundred for the season. Thats a lot of painful innings.
    True.....but on the other hand we haven't produced a 1 run inning.....

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I know you guys don't want to hear his right now.. but this is mental. Very obvious to me.
    Dude.....truth........welcome to baseball

The big question is does Antchak come up to bat in the 8th?

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I no have fun right now.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I know you guys don't want to hear his right now.. but this is mental. Very obvious to me.
    Time to call the shrink.

raginsaints is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm very patient with baseball, and I love Robe unconditionally. However, as my ticket prices keep increasing, my patience with "figuring it out" while striking out 40 times over 4 games decreases.

Everyone gets our issue with offense but gotta say I have a little bit of concern with defense behind the plate as well.

Blog Entries

I'm going to the fridge and contemplating getting another India Pale ALe to keep me from the edge even though I have to wake at 0400 HRS

raginsaints is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

#PainTrain

Three runs down, six outs left to do something. It took us two games to score our first three runs.

Dude.....truth........welcome to baseball
    The mental piece goes back to hitting philosophy. Philosophy being taught to this team is not there. You will have very little success as a hitter when you are ALWAYS behind in the count. That is the biggest difference between the team the last few years and during the time when Deggs was here.

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

3 runs a Nichols hasn't had to do a thing.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast