Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 320

Thread: BB Final: Louisiana 4, Southeastern 5

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    All we heard all offseason was how "deep" our pitching staff/bull pen was this year. Last night showed me that the confidence isn't exactly there yet when you're throwing the schit out of DMo in game 3 of the season.


  2. #202
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    D mo had an uncharacteristic bad game. I think Murphy's law coupled with a wet ball threw his mechanics off. Like I said earlier, what a weird azz start to the season so far.
    He started off good. He was left in too long.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    All we heard all offseason was how "deep" our pitching staff/bull pen was this year. Last night showed me that the confidence isn't exactly there yet when you're throwing the schit out of DMo in game 3 of the season.
    4 games in 4 days - we still need pitchers for tonight.

    Burk is likely to start, unless Schmidt is past his discomfort. Backed by Charpentier & Huval.

  4. #204
    wcd35's Avatar
    wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,054

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    D mo had an uncharacteristic bad game. I think Murphy's law coupled with a wet ball threw his mechanics off. Like I said earlier, what a weird azz start to the season so far.
    He struck out 6 of 8 faced. But he went long because Robe has complete faith in him and the end was close finally having a 2 run lead. Being early in the season and having pitched they day before and going long and the rain, the move probably should've been made after that 2nd walk. It's not a lack of faith in other guys though, it's the total sure thing faith in D-Mo that made it harder to make the move. If Coach weighed all those factors again, stepping back, he may feel differently than he did last night even without knowing the results

  5. #205
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    All we heard all offseason was how "deep" our pitching staff/bull pen was this year. Last night showed me that the confidence isn't exactly there yet when you're throwing the schit out of DMo in game 3 of the season.
    That's a bit of a stretch. Consider the fact that this was the third game of the weekend and that we also play Nichols tonight. I don't think it has anything to do with not trusting others in the pen as much as leaving the guy in you have the utmost confidence in. We don't need to question Robe and his pitching decisions. We can question Talbot on the hitters plenty though.

  6. #206
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,842

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    There were definitely two outs. Colton was one strike away from getting back in the dugout, it started pouring, the ball slipped out of his hand, and he plunked the dude in the head. Colton's technically still in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts it when it resumes.
    Two outs and a runner on first due to hit batter. Breaud made the first out 1-3 and Pace the second out, pop up 3......

  7. #207
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    7,993

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Man, I'm not Robe. But I'm scratching my head about leaving DMo in so long, then running Colton out there for the 2nd day in a row if we're so deep.

    We better hit the crap out of the ball tonight or I'm going to be ____ed.


  8. #208
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,021

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Bigly offense will be a necessity tonight.


  9. #209
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    [QUOTE=cajun1300;982626]4 games in 4 days

    We have the same amount of games regardless. We would've played 4 games in 5 days w/out the rain out Fri night. He was left in too long. We have tons of arms. They weren't used. Not questioning the staff...they know what they are doing. I'm questioning my belief in that we have tons of depth on the back end. The confidence factor was not there in game 3 to get the job done hence DMo throwing a lot. That's it...


  10. #210
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch. Consider the fact that this was the third game of the weekend and that we also play Nichols tonight. I don't think it has anything to do with not trusting others in the pen as much as leaving the guy in you have the utmost confidence in. We don't need to question Robe and his pitching decisions. We can question Talbot on the hitters plenty though.

    So you don't feel DMo was left in too long? How many articles were written about the depth on the bump? This team has a college world series staff. I think he was misused and that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of a lot of people. I know we put DMo in during a crucial situation to close the door on a potentially damaging inning, but like I said, he was left in too long - especially this early in the season. My only thought was for confidence building. We aren't hitting for schit, so if we could at least escape with a win and improve to 2-1 we could limp this thing along until a person brings a bat to the game.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,021

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    In hindsight I think DMO was left in too long. But at the time I was happy to see him take the mound thinking we should finish with our best arm as it was a pretty big game. It turned out to be wrong. EDIT: I was also intoxicated, so I was probably not thinking clearly at the time.

    If the offense was performing a bit better I don't think you would see the same approach with the pitching staff. I think once the offense heats up the pressure will be alleviated from the pitching staff and we will be able to work more of our depth. For instance, last night DMO would not have come in that early. Harris could have stayed in had our offense been more of a threat and carrying the load more. We could have saved DMO until the 8th or 9th, but we were trying to win a close and big game that our offense wouldn't carry us through.

    I think Robe started talking last year about how you have to play when we are constantly in these close low scoring games.

    Nevertheless I feel the offense will come around. It is just a question of when.


  12. #212
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    So you don't feel DMo was left in too long? How many articles were written about the depth on the bump? This team has a college world series staff. I think he was misused and that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of a lot of people. I know we put DMo in during a crucial situation to close the door on a potentially damaging inning, but like I said, he was left in too long - especially this early in the season. My only thought was for confidence building. We aren't hitting for schit, so if we could at least escape with a win and improve to 2-1 we could limp this thing along until a person brings a bat to the game.
    I get that the staff loves DMo.. we all do. Total confidence in the guy.

    How many pitches did he throw, 50? IMO, he was left in too long. I said this during the game; it's February and you have a loaded pen. Use it.

    But again, when you can't score, you put pitchers under an extreme amount of stress and coaching staff is hesitant to spread the innings to guys they have a little less confidence in.

    Having said all of that, I understand why they left him in.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,394

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Demo threw just as many pitches as a starter. It was 50 plus. And he threw the night before....in February. He became ineffective at the end. Scott, u right...this is a CWS caliber staff. The deepest and most talented as we have ever had. Like most, I would of never in a million years thought the hitters would start this slow. 35 strike outs in 3 games is absurd. I struggle to accept or believe that it is an approach or philosophy causing us to get down deep in the count. If it is, then that's gotta change quick. Just remember,we have at least 3 hitters coming from juco ball. They often take a step back before they go forward. And we have guys like antchek, fontenot, penny, Kausels, and even sensley who didn't light it up average wise last year.


  14. #214
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,931

    UL Baseball Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Demo threw just as many pitches as a starter. It was 50 plus. And he threw the night before....in February. He became ineffective at the end. Scott, u right...this is a CWS caliber staff. The deepest and most talented as we have ever had. Like most, I would of never in a million years thought the hitters would start this slow. 35 strike outs in 3 games is absurd. I struggle to accept or believe that it is an approach or philosophy causing us to get down deep in the count. If it is, then that's gotta change quick. Just remember,we have at least 3 hitters coming from juco ball. They often take a step back before they go forward. And we have guys like antchek, fontenot, penny, Kausels, and even sensley who didn't light it up average wise last year.
    That's exactly why I was concerned about hitting before the season started. Then Robe put Kausels as the lead off hitter Saturday so I conned myself into believing all the pre season hype.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,021

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Just got back from Diamond Club. Robe said DMO didn't have a fatigue issue, it was a grip issue as the rain had started coming down in the last inning he threw. DMO could not spin a breaking ball. Colten Lee also could only throw fastballs and struggled with grip. The game should have been called when the batter threw his bat in the stands, but ump wanted to try to finish with only 3 outs left.

    As far as the hitting, Robe mentioned that in the fall the batters got 700 less at bats in intrasquads as they normally would get due to stadium construction and shutting pitchers down. With that he expected a slower start offensively. He said the players are also jumpy, trying to jump on everything instead of letting the game come to them. He thinks hitters have made small improvements in each game so far and will continue to. He doesn't like the amount of strikeouts and thinks that will continue to get better.


  16. #216
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Just got back from Diamond Club. Robe said DMO didn't have a fatigue issue, it was a grip issue as the rain had started coming down in the last inning he threw. DMO could not spin a breaking ball. Colten Lee also could only throw fastballs and struggled with grip. The game should have been called when the batter threw his bat in the stands, but ump wanted to try to finish with only 3 outs left.

    As far as the hitting, Robe mentioned that in the fall the batters got 700 less at bats in intrasquads as they normally would get due to stadium construction and shutting pitchers down. With that he expected a slower start offensively. He said the players are also jumpy, trying to jump on everything instead of letting the game come to them. He thinks hitters have made small improvements in each game so far and will continue to. He doesn't like the amount of strikeouts and thinks that will continue to get better.
    Thanks for the info Roug.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Just got back from Diamond Club. Robe said DMO didn't have a fatigue issue, it was a grip issue as the rain had started coming down in the last inning he threw. DMO could not spin a breaking ball. Colten Lee also could only throw fastballs and struggled with grip. The game should have been called when the batter threw his bat in the stands, but ump wanted to try to finish with only 3 outs left.

    As far as the hitting, Robe mentioned that in the fall the batters got 700 less at bats in intrasquads as they normally would get due to stadium construction and shutting pitchers down. With that he expected a slower start offensively. He said the players are also jumpy, trying to jump on everything instead of letting the game come to them. He thinks hitters have made small improvements in each game so far and will continue to. He doesn't like the amount of strikeouts and thinks that will continue to get better.
    Hitting is a yearly issue early in the season, sounds like low hanging fruit to blame it on the stadium.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,125
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Hitting is a yearly issue early in the season, sounds like low hanging fruit to blame it on the stadium.
    Yea, I hate to say it but that almost sounds like a HU......nevermind.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,021

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Hitting is a yearly issue early in the season, sounds like low hanging fruit to blame it on the stadium.
    Don't shoot the messenger.

  20. #220
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,931

    Default Re: Louisiana vs. Southeastern

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Hitting is a yearly issue early in the season, sounds like low hanging fruit to blame it on the stadium.
    So those 700 at bats and live pitching in the fall are simply a waste of time? Not even in the same zip code as APC center or we're young fruit every coach loves.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •