Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

Quote Originally Posted by RaginEsquire06 View Post
    Do you have an ideal who will be the starting five? Will any of our current starters be relegated as the 6th and 7th man; and if so, do you think they stay? My guess is Stove and Miller.
    I think the three transfers will start along with Washington and Bartley. However, we will have more depth than this year to the point I can see Hardy and Brown both redshirting. I see Evans, Russell, Stove, and Miller playing significant minutes off the bench. I would hope we press more and play more intensely for 40 minutes with this depth. Playing less will make Miller more productive when he does play due to knee issues. Davis had some big plays on Saturday but he needs to be more consistent.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

It won't be a Div one winning record Mike because two or three of those wins are NAIA, or some other NCAA non division one games. No doubt he has two losses as road team to P5 teams so we could almost swap those for the non division one games except some expect to beat P5 more often than losing to a non division one team.

If t-jo wants to continue in mediocre production Bob is our man. If on the other hand we want a coach who can move us back into greatness we need to take a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    It won't be a Div one winning record Mike because two or three of those wins are NAIA, or some other NCAA non division one games. No doubt he has two losses as road team to P5 teams so we could almost swap those for the non division one games except some expect to beat P5 more often than losing to a non division one team.

If t-jo wants to continue in mediocre production Bob is our man. If on the other hand we want a coach who can move us back into greatness we need to take a chance.
    18 wins will give us a D1 winning record as we will be 16 and 13 in D1 games. We need two more wins to reach 18 and we had two non D1 games. That scenario assures a winning record as a loss in the tournament and the first game of a pay for play tourney ends up at 16 and 15. Although some believe we did not have D1 winning records the last two years, that is not accurate. Fact is they were similar to this year, a winning D1 season but barely so. I would agree the term mediocre is accurate for such a scenario, not good or bad but slightly above average.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

Whatever Mike, I simply cannot accept mediocre Cajun basketball as being OK over a long stretch.

There is a crazy situation at UL where baseball has more dedicated, or directed RCAF funds than football, and a lot more than basketball. To me it shows that things are way out of wack here. Sure Robe is doing an outstanding job, but it also shows how bad Marlin and Hud are doing considering both are in much higher profiled sports.

Whatever Mike, I simply cannot accept mediocre Cajun basketball as being OK over a long stretch.

There is a crazy situation at UL where baseball has more dedicated, or directed RCAF funds than football, and a lot more than basketball. To me it shows that things are way out of wack here. Sure Robe is doing an outstanding job, but it also shows how bad Marlin and Hud are doing considering both are in much higher profiled sports.
    No doubt football and basketball have to improve results starting next season. No matter how much pride we receive from the diamond sports accomplishments, they simply don't move the needle nationally. I have more confidence basketball will improve at this stage. Football has had two consecutive losing seasons and three will put significant pressure on the administration. Basketball has a chance to move out of the "mediocre" mode next season and all will be disappointed if that does not occur. As far as accepting mediocrity goes, the only thing the average fan can do about it would be to stop following the team until change occurs. Some have done that but not enough to impact things as of yet. I suspect a disappointing 2017-18 will increase that number. On the other hand, a one year turnaround won't bring everyone back but it will bring some excitement back. Top 3 finish or better is a good barometer for a turnaround.

Mike, going back to the original post while impressive I wouldn't read too much into those recent stats for Russell. I don't follow high school basketball but growing up in Alexandria I know that Peabody sees a significant drop in the level of competition once district play starts. I just glanced over their schedule and the smallest margin of victory in the games you referenced was 35, many times it was 60+.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Geeze I hope Big Fish does not wreck him....
    i can see us getting back to the mid/lower upper,mid,minor, major invitational tournament!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Mike, going back to the original post while impressive I wouldn't read too much into those recent stats for Russell. I don't follow high school basketball but growing up in Alexandria I know that Peabody sees a significant drop in the level of competition once district play starts. I just glanced over their schedule and the smallest margin of victory in the games you referenced was 35, many times it was 60+.
    I totally agree that the recent competition for Peabody has been weak. However, they also did well in the pre district part of their schedule. It will be interesting to see how they do in the state playoffs. I imagine the watered down brackets will result in them not being tested until likely the third round. The guy is shooting 53% from beyond the three point line and he shoots a lot of them. You have to be encouraged with that stat regardless of the competition. Granted, the faster speed of the college game requires you to get the shot off quicker. We will just have to wait and see how he adjusts. I am sure it will take a while for him to do so. Hopefully he figures it out by the time conference play starts.

I joined the site not too long ago. I'm a Peabody alum, I wanted to post aout the 54 pt game he had but I couldn't create a post, so I've been waiting on someone to say something. Yea, he had 54 in that game but the bigger stat from that game was 16 of 25 from the 3pt line for the game.

We haven't had a lot of comp since district started but some of the teams we beat out in that span are 7 seed Jena, 9 seed Jennings, 16 seed Marksville and 4A 8 seed, Tioga. I don't think we're gonna run into any comp until the final. Wossman beat us on a buzzer beater in the semi final last year, and at a tournament earlier this year. I think we've progress to be able to handle them with the progression of Darrius Smith.

I also wanted to ask, does UL have anymore spots available in recruiting? Kevin Norman, is a monster, he's gonna be a 3 at the collegiate level but he's avg a double double the last 2 years and has been the leading scorer most of the year. He's one of the national leaders in double doubles and field goal percentage. But I've heard of no one recruiting him, I'm hoping he gets something.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorsepride View Post
    I joined the site not too long ago. I'm a Peabody alum, I wanted to post aout the 54 pt game he had but I couldn't create a post, so I've been waiting on someone to say something. Yea, he had 54 in that game but the bigger stat from that game was 16 of 25 from the 3pt line for the game.

We haven't had a lot of comp since district started but some of the teams we beat out in that span are 7 seed Jena, 9 seed Jennings, 16 seed Marksville and 4A 8 seed, Tioga. I don't think we're gonna run into any comp until the final. Wossman beat us on a buzzer beater in the semi final last year, and at a tournament earlier this year. I think we've progress to be able to handle them with the progression of Darrius Smith.

I also wanted to ask, does UL have anymore spots available in recruiting? Kevin Norman, is a monster, he's gonna be a 3 at the collegiate level but he's avg a double double the last 2 years and has been the leading scorer most of the year. He's one of the national leaders in double doubles and field goal percentage. But I've heard of no one recruiting him, I'm hoping he gets something.
    Theoretically, the Cajuns have no spots open on the roster as they have only one senior on the team, three transfers sitting out, and Russell joining the squad next year. I have heard we are recruiting an inside player in the spring signing period. If they get another player in, someone on the current squad will leave or someone on scholarship now will be paying their own way. Therefore, I don't see them being able to bring Kevin Norman in unless he wants to walk on. From your description of him, I suspect he will garner interest from some one. Surprised Northwestern State is not on him as I thought they recruited lots of guys from the Alexandria area. Warhorsepride, how do you project Russell performing at the college level?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Theoretically, the Cajuns have no spots open on the roster as they have only one senior on the team, three transfers sitting out, and Russell joining the squad next year. I have heard we are recruiting an inside player in the spring signing period. If they get another player in, someone on the current squad will leave or someone on scholarship now will be paying their own way. Therefore, I don't see them being able to bring Kevin Norman in unless he wants to walk on. From your description of him, I suspect he will garner interest from some one. Surprised Northwestern State is not on him as I thought they recruited lots of guys from the Alexandria area. Warhorsepride, how do you project Russell performing at the college level?
    He is further along than Markel Brown when he left for Oklahoma State. I say that because that's probably our best player in recent history. He played 4 years, started 3 at OK State and 2 years in the NBA.

Ced, is probably the best shooter to come out of Peabody ever. We've put a a lot of athletes, but he's probably the most skilled player we've put out at the guard spot. I think the thing for him will be in college learning to play the point predominantly. He is a combo guard, he's better off the ball, but I feel like his height and strength will come into play with him at the 2. Me personally, I wouldn't put him on defense against a 6'4, 6'5 shooting guard. He has some length, but he's also thin. Great toughness, but a lot of 2 guards will try to use their strength on him. Where as at the 1, his length will cause problems for other pg's. His offense is already ready for the college level. Shot smooth as silk, plays within the offense.

The absolute only reason that he was not a bigger prospect is that he doesn't have the size and explosive as players we've had before. He's a below the rim kind of guy at whatever level he plays, so cheap points don't come to him often. I really think that he could become a starter, or 6th man toward the end of nest year.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorsepride View Post
    He is further along than Markel Brown when he left for Oklahoma State. I say that because that's probably our best player in recent history. He played 4 years, started 3 at OK State and 2 years in the NBA.

Ced, is probably the best shooter to come out of Peabody ever. We've put a a lot of athletes, but he's probably the most skilled player we've put out at the guard spot. I think the thing for him will be in college learning to play the point predominantly. He is a combo guard, he's better off the ball, but I feel like his height and strength will come into play with him at the 2. Me personally, I wouldn't put him on defense against a 6'4, 6'5 shooting guard. He has some length, but he's also thin. Great toughness, but a lot of 2 guards will try to use their strength on him. Where as at the 1, his length will cause problems for other pg's. His offense is already ready for the college level. Shot smooth as silk, plays within the offense.

The absolute only reason that he was not a bigger prospect is that he doesn't have the size and explosive as players we've had before. He's a below the rim kind of guy at whatever level he plays, so cheap points don't come to him often. I really think that he could become a starter, or 6th man toward the end of nest year.
    Kadavion Evans is a similar player to what you describe Russell as. I suspect he will be the back up point guard as he is playing there some now as a backup. I think the program is planning on Russell being the back up two at this stage. In fact some see him as the sixth man from the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Mike--we do have another opening with Plaisance transferring. We are planning on signing an inside player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post
    Mike--we do have another opening with Plaisance transferring. We are planning on signing an inside player.
    We don't have a scholarship opening if everyone comes back. However, one of the transfers paid his own way in the fall semester. Either he or someone else could do so again. Right now we are playing 10 scholarship guys and you are allowed 13. Jay Wright is leaving so that will put us at 9. Adding the three transfers plus Russell puts you at the allotted 13. I have heard of no one wanting to leave. However if we are able to bring in the inside player we are targeting in spring recruiting, someone will have to go or pay their own way. Those decisions generally go all the way until the spring semester ends as how players do in school can factor into things.

Is this kid gonna be a one and done😍😍😍

Is this kid gonna be a one and done😍😍😍
    If he is THAT good, we will have a very special season next year

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    If he is THAT good, we will have a very special season next year
    Guy can shoot !

Peabody wins state 3A championship by a score of 73 to 54 over Carroll. I do not know how Cedric Russell (our signee) performed in the game

I'm very excited about this young man.

Yes, congrats to Bob and Staff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast