Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

I was checking some of the stats for our HS signee-Cedric Russell out of Peabody in Alexandria. Currently he is averaging 23 points per game. He ranks 34th in the nation in field goals made and 8th in the nation in three pointers made. He has not scored less than 20 points or hit under 50 percent in any game since January 13. In that span is a 42 point game and a 54 point game. He hits 53% of his 3 point attempts which is a percentage point higher than his 2 point attempt % of 52. His free throw percentage is 85%. He also averages 6 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game, and 2.5 steals per game. That last line tells me he is somewhat of a complete player. His team is 31 and 3 with a national ranking of 294 and a state ranking of No. 6. Most of their games have been blowouts recently. Maybe this guy will be the consistent zone buster with also enough athleticism we have been waiting for. I thought Hardy was it early but he struggles on defense. Evans looks promising but a guy with a bad back injury is always a fall away from missing time. Therefore, I bet Russell gets a chance to play a lot as a freshman. He may be the most high profile guy we have signed out of HS since the current staff has been here. Let's hope he can live up to the billing.

Default Re: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

4.5 assists per game, and 2.5 assists

steals(?)

Is he a point guard or shooting guard? I thought we had next year's point guard on the team as one of the transfers. Whatever, he looks like he is ready to step in and contribute next year!

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Geeze I hope Big Fish does not wreck him....

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post

steals(?)

Anybody see the Marquette kid hit 9 3s yesterday.....think he is a Freshman!!!

Is he a point guard or shooting guard? I thought we had next year's point guard on the team as one of the transfers. Whatever, he looks like he is ready to step in and contribute next year!
    He's a combo guard.

Anybody see the Marquette kid hit 9 3s yesterday.....think he is a Freshman!!!

Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    He's a combo guard.
    We can really use him!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Geeze I hope Big Fish does not wreck him....
    Although the team does not progress as well as would often like, individually players usually get better if they stay here for four years. See Bryant Mbamalu and Kasey Shepherd for example. Of course those guys were not highly rated out of HS. It will be interesting to see how the staff does with a kid who seemingly has lots of potential. It is strange how with players improving we struggle to get the big winning year. I guess we can't get all the roles filled. This year we definitely miss a rim protector as our defense is a definite problem. By the way I believe Russell is an off guard, not a point. The guy from South Carolina named Stroman is likely to be the point guard next year.

steals(?)

It is 2.5 steals per game. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Although the team does not progress as well as would often like, individually players usually get better if they stay here for four years. See Bryant Mbamalu and Kasey Shepherd for example. Of course those guys were not highly rated out of HS. It will be interesting to see how the staff does with a kid who seemingly has lots of potential. It is strange how with players improving we struggle to get the big winning year. I guess we can't get all the roles filled. This year we definitely miss a rim protector as our defense is a definite problem. By the way I believe Russell is an off guard, not a point. The guy from South Carolina named Stroman is likely to be the point guard next year.
    Exciting stuff! Do we have a rim protector next year?

I think both Elfrid and Shawn improved while they were here.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Exciting stuff! Do we have a rim protector next year?
    The Missouri transfer named Gant is 6'8" and athletic. I don't know how much of a shot blocker he is but he should be quicker on rotations than some of the inside folks playing now. Although his stats were not eye catching at Missouri, he was a Top 40 player nationally coming out of HS. Some folks who followed fall practice say he is the best player on the team. He and the other two transfers will be allowed to play in games that are part of a summer trip to Cuba the program has lined up. That should help them be more in tune with each other next season. From what I understand, we are also looking to bring in an inside player during the spring signing period. I am not aware of all the details in that situation.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Cedric Russell-Early Basketball Signee Progress

The Missouri transfer named Gant is 6'8" and athletic. I don't know how much of a shot blocker he is but he should be quicker on rotations than some of the inside folks playing now. Although his stats were not eye catching at Missouri, he was a Top 40 player nationally coming out of HS. Some folks who followed fall practice say he is the best player on the team. He and the other two transfers will be allowed to play in games that are part of a summer trip to Cuba the program has lined up. That should help them be more in tune with each other next season. From what I understand, we are also looking to bring in an inside player during the spring signing period. I am not aware of all the details in that situation.
    Mike at this point in his career it's pointless to bring out his top forty status as a recruit. Clearly he was not happy at Missouri or maybe they were not happy with him, or possibly his play and thus the departure. Judging his top forty status and his lack of production at Missouri means either he was overrated or he was in the wrong system for his abilities. I am hopeful it is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Mike at this point in his career it's pointless to bring out his top forty status as a recruit. Clearly he was not happy at Missouri or maybe they were not happy with him, or possibly his play and thus the departure. Judging his top forty status and his lack of production at Missouri means either he was overrated or he was in the wrong system for his abilities. I am hopeful it is the latter.
    My only point in bringing up the Top 40 status for Gant out of HS is that probably indicates he has some talent and athletic ability. Those attributes should allow him to be a good inside defensive player which is something we lack now. Someone asked about our rim protection potential next year and he will be a key there. Agree that what he did at Missouri may not be indicative of his ability. Frank Bartley averaged 4 ppg at BYU and is at about 15 here despite a few down games in the middle of the year. I have heard some say Gant has a chance to be one of the better players in the SBC. That is a projection that I will not put total stock in as who knows what the rest of the league well have. Of the four guys coming in I rate him and Russell to be the keys. It has been awhile since we have brought a guy with the HS shooting stats like Russell and Gant may give us a true inside presence.

My only point in bringing up the Top 40 status for Gant out of HS is that probably indicates he has some talent and athletic ability. Those attributes should allow him to be a good inside defensive player which is something we lack now. Someone asked about our rim protection potential next year and he will be a key there. Agree that what he did at Missouri may not be indicative of his ability. Frank Bartley averaged 4 ppg at BYU and is at about 15 here despite a few down games in the middle of the year. I have heard some say Gant has a chance to be one of the better players in the SBC. That is a projection that I will not put total stock in as who knows what the rest of the league well have. Of the four guys coming in I rate him and Russell to be the keys. It has been awhile since we have brought a guy with the HS shooting stats like Russell and Gant may give us a true inside presence.
    Do you have an ideal who will be the starting five? Will any of our current starters be relegated as the 6th and 7th man; and if so, do you think they stay? My guess is Stove and Miller.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginEsquire06 View Post
    Do you have an ideal who will be the starting five? Will any of our current starters be relegated as the 6th and 7th man; and if so, do you think they stay? My guess is Stove and Miller.
    ---Anybody have the video of the pre season intra squad game?

-One of the new guys was a very good player

not sure if it was he or not!!!

[QUOTE=Boomer;982558]
    I found all three were very productive which make for an interesting season next year with true depth. All three will get some good minutes. IMO

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

[QUOTE=Cajun Soldier;982578]

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I found all three were very productive which make for an interesting season next year with true depth. All three will get some good minutes. IMO
    So when we see the same inconsistent and mediocre play next year, will we finally get rid of Bobby Big Fish? Ending the back half of the worst 15 year stretch in Cajuns basketball history.

[QUOTE=cajun4life;982582]

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post

So when we see the same inconsistent and mediocre play next year, will we finally get rid of Bobby Big Fish? Ending the back half of the worst 15 year stretch in Cajuns basketball history.
    A poor season next year could have a change considered. Of course it depends on how you define "poor". If we have barely a D1 winning season as has been the case recently, do you make a change then? Believe it or not, we still have a chance to do that this year which would be the fourth consecutive year it happens. Next year could make it 5. Express said we need to be in the Top 3 next year for it to be a good season which is very reasonable. We have never fired a coach after a winning season, much less 5 consecutively (granted there is some work remaining to do this year to have it happen). I do know the President likes the way the basketball program is run off the court so that may be a factor I don't know how the new AD will view things like this-moderate success but not to the level of expectations. Personally, I think as long as he has a winning season overall and in conference he will stay until closer to the end of his deal but that is just an opinion. To the point of the previous post, you would hope that we would see progress with the new talent coming on board, including Russell. It would be disappointing to all not to make a significant jump in the standings as a result.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast