Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: It's Coming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,486

    Default It's Coming

    USA today reported that the PAC 10 is now ready to expand to 12 teams and expects to do so over the next 12-18 months. The BIG 10 has already said it wants to expand from 11 to 12 teams in the next 18 months or so.
    Conference Realignment will be here in 2 years and our final opportunity to escape this dreaded conference and move up to a higher level is around the corner. Will UL be ready? Facility wise we will not because we elected to improve the spring sports facilities before football. Perhaps having finalized plans for our football stadium improvements will be enough even if work hasn't yet started. Going to a bowl game the next 2 years and seeing greatly improved attendance and support will be critical. Improving basketball will also be essential and a new coach to rejuvenate our program must take place along with a conference championship and NCAA invite. All of that plus effective Marketing of our program, solidifying our name and Branding ourselves as a marketable program with appeal outside the Lafayette city limits, and actually proactively seeking a seat at the table that we want to sit at must take place. The table is slowly being set. Do we have the leadership with a vision to get us there? If we aren't included, we are excluded and that means a lifetime sentence in the SBC. We are quickly approaching do or die for UL. We had better not screw up this final opportunity.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,697

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    USA today reported that the PAC 10 is now ready to expand to 12 teams and expects to do so over the next 12-18 months. The BIG 10 has already said it wants to expand from 11 to 12 teams in the next 18 months or so.
    Conference Realignment will be here in 2 years and our final opportunity to escape this dreaded conference and move up to a higher level is around the corner. Will UL be ready? Facility wise we will not because we elected to improve the spring sports facilities before football. Perhaps having finalized plans for our football stadium improvements will be enough even if work hasn't yet started. Going to a bowl game the next 2 years and seeing greatly improved attendance and support will be critical. Improving basketball will also be essential and a new coach to rejuvenate our program must take place along with a conference championship and NCAA invite. All of that plus effective Marketing of our program, solidifying our name and Branding ourselves as a marketable program with appeal outside the Lafayette city limits, and actually proactively seeking a seat at the table that we want to sit at must take place. The table is slowly being set. Do we have the leadership with a vision to get us there? If we aren't included, we are excluded and that means a lifetime sentence in the SBC. We are quickly approaching do or die for UL. We had better not screw up this final opportunity.
    I'm not disagreeing with anything you stated but it is all trumped by three other factors. Market size, Market size, Market size. Do not underestimate academic standing either. These decisions are made by University presidents and not the athletic director. How else do you explain Vanderbilt.

    I like having a conference based in the Southeast and think it is good long term. UNO is gone, Denver won't be here forever, UALR??. How about the SBC fill those slots and see what we can make ourselves??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,745

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Let's also not forget about geography. In the tough economic times this country is and will be in, schools will be looking for anything to save money, and the closer the opponent, the lower the travel costs.
    I'm also a believer that football plays the biggest factor in getting attention. Don't underestimate how quickly the teams in the Sun Belt are moving up in the hierarchy of D1 college football. The Cajuns simply need to join that group of winners from this conference.


  4. #4
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,694

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Okay ---I hear this stuff on La Tech all the time--How they are soo much better than UL ---IN What---The things to be considered in getting in CUSA---TV Market, population, enrollment, academic status, recent football success, overall athletic performance, attendance for football and other sports, travel ease to campus for visiting teams, Future population expansion, economic conditions of the area, present and future facilities, future outside fund raising, and nickname are just the ones of the cuff

    jI think that we are ahead in nearly all areas!!!!!!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    387

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Okay ---I hear this stuff on La Tech all the time--How they are soo much better than UL ---IN What---The things to be considered in getting in CUSA---TV Market, population, enrollment, academic status, recent football success, overall athletic performance, attendance for football and other sports, travel ease to campus for visiting teams, Future population expansion, economic conditions of the area, present and future facilities, future outside fund raising, and nickname are just the ones of the cuff

    jI think that we are ahead in nearly all areas!!!!!!

    I agree with you on most of those points. I say they have an advantage in terms of being where they are now - the WAC. Recent football success is debatable, though.

  6. #6
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,694

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by keithj View Post
    _ I agree with you on most of those points. I say they have an advantage in terms of being where they are now - the WAC. Recent football success is debatable, though. _
    Another very important fact I left out in my post was the direction that the administration under Doc T-JOE is heading--Oh the guy is a leader and has so much experience at the higher levels with academic areas---But the things going on with on campus facilities ergo demolishing of old and non-themed buildings and the building of on campus housing to a a 5-6K increase---these things will have a great effect on enrollment

    -A big problem at present with no off or on campus housing---this morning's meeting got the folks pumped!!!!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: It's Coming

    An administration with an athletics plan(way overdue!!!)that would lead to increased enthusiasm and the sense that the dollars we give are actually put toward a goal that we're all trying to achieve would go a long way in helping increase enrollment. This plan/excitement would hopefully lead to a winning football PROGRAM and then T-Joe wouldn't have to worry about enrollment increases. He could pick and choose from the thousands of applicants!!
    WINNING cures a lot of ills !!!
    Where's the freakin plan Farmer!!!!

    Did I mention that we need an athletics plan revealed to the general public to create a little enthusiasm?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,486

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ I'm not disagreeing with anything you stated but it is all trumped by three other factors. Market size, Market size, Market size. Do not underestimate academic standing either. These decisions are made by University presidents and not the athletic director. How else do you explain Vanderbilt.

    I like having a conference based in the Southeast and think it is good long term. UNO is gone, Denver won't be here forever, UALR??. How about the SBC fill those slots and see what we can make ourselves?? _

    Yeah, but what about if the SBC loses MT, Troy and N. Texas. Then, what is left of the SBC, UL and ULM? Then we have to pick up more 1AA upgrade schools. I don't want any part of that. We CANNOT afford to be left out of any realignment. N. Texas in the Dallas market and MT in the Nashville market have a leg up. Troy and LA Tech are in very poor markets but have been more marketable with recent bowl games than UL who has NO athletic success to fall back on. However, we do have a better market and are improving our facilities. UL and LA Tech are equal academically. We MUST go to a bowl game this year and turn our basketball program around with a new coach that takes us to the NCAA. Then, we will be hard to ignore. Right now, I fear we are an after thought.

  9. #9
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,694

    Default Re: It's Coming

    At the morning meeting it was pointed out how football expansion plans have been moved up and that plans were altered by request to add more suites---With the economy of the Lafayette area it is felt that the market would sustain the additional boxes

    -also the increase in seats or boxes would not effect the integrity of the overall look!!!! We have added a huge sponsor after his having seen the sketch of the plan

    We are doing the things that we need to do as far as facilities!!!!


  10. #10
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,107

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ At the morning meeting it was pointed out how football expansion plans have been moved up and that plans were altered by request to add more suites---With the economy of the Lafayette area it is felt that the market would sustain the additional boxes

    -also the increase in seats or boxes would not effect the integrity of the overall look!!!! We have added a huge sponsor after his having seen the sketch of the plan

    We are doing the things that we need to do as far as facilities!!!! _

    Fill us in a little more on this "morning meeting".

  11. #11
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,694

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Spring will bring a caravan to various cities across Louisiana and even to Houston, Texas

    Doc T-Joe and crew with the future of Cajun Athletics presented in a way that has never even been attempted for Cajun Athletics---Left the meeting really feeling great about UL's future

    -And yes Beau --your Parish seat will be on the route and you will be expected to be a big part of it!!! For T-Joe this is coming around 360 as he once was the Cajuns Alumni head!!!! RCAF and any academic or athletic questions will not only be addressed but also encouraged to the panel---Kinda where we have been, where we are, and the heights we are going to reach---Tell you Beau--it will be great !!!!!


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,248

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Conference Expansion/Change/Upgrade thread. Almost as fresh as Lou Cook threads...


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    For T-Joe this is coming around 360 as he once was the Cajuns Alumni head!!!!
    Tell him to stop at 180 since 360 is not required.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: It's Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    _ Conference Expansion/Change/Upgrade thread. Almost as fresh as Lou Cook threads... _

    And almost as rediculous

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •