Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

  1. #21

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    The schools that currently make up the AAC consider themselves far superior to any school in the SBC or CUSA. Some of them have better academics, some have better athletics, and some have both, but they ALL absolutely loathe the SBC and CUSA. Unless it loses three or four members and gets desperate for replacements, I don't see any current SBC or CUSA member being invited to join the AAC anytime soon.
    1) is this from the fans perspective? or university presidents and other admin of the AAC perspective?

    2) do they loathe every university within the SBC and
    CUSA? or just the perception of the conference entity itself?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    The schools that currently make up the AAC consider themselves far superior to any school in the SBC or CUSA. Some of them have better academics, some have better athletics, and some have both, but they ALL absolutely loathe the SBC and CUSA. Unless it loses three or four members and gets desperate for replacements, I don't see any current SBC or CUSA member being invited to join the AAC anytime soon.
    I tend to agree with you on this.

  3. #23
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,148

    Alumni Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    That's just Oiler with his know who you are and where you stand policy. I think he was a serf in a prior life, or an indentured servant.


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,593

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    1) is this from the fans perspective? or university presidents and other admin of the AAC perspective?

    2) do they loathe every university within the SBC and
    CUSA? or just the perception of the conference entity itself?
    First and foremost we must get to R1 classification before we can move anywhere that is the most important thing right now

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,831

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    That's just Oiler with his know who you are and where you stand policy. I think he was a serf in a prior life, or an indentured servant.
    If you look at the recent (last 10-15 years) history of the schools in the AAC, you see that most of them have spent those years doing their best to establish separation between themselves and the likes of us. Three years ago, half of the schools now in the AAC found themselves conference mates with La Tech, UNT, UTSA, and FIU. As soon as was possible, schools like Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU bolted the new CUSA for the new AAC. In other words, things reverted back to what they were before the "coast to coast" Big East experiment failed before it got started.

    The big losers in realignment were USM, Rice, Marshall, and UTEP. Still, I think it is likely that all four of those schools would get into the AAC before UL ever does.

    It's got nothing to do with "knowing our place", and everything to do with accepting the reality of what the G5 conferences have become. What the G5 has become are two geographically sensible conferences in the MWC and the MAC, two conferences that make absolutely no geographic sense in the SBC and CUSA, and one conference with a couple of schools (UH and USF) that actually almost made the big time, and several other schools that are delusional enough to actually believe they belong at a higher level than the rest of us.

  6. #26
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,148

    UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    The reason your prior life was a serf sir. You see your position as static unchangeable.

    This board are filled with former lives as American Patriots. They see a wide open world needing to be taken.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    until we put 30k butts in the seats consistently.... we ain't going anywhere


  8. #28
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,148

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    On a regular basis Tulsa, Tulane, SMU don't. Just saying it's a lot more than butts in a seat. When we get those things straightened out there'll be more than 30K.


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,012

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    UL has three areas of deficiency when it comes to moving to the AAC:
    1. Academic reputation
    2. Athletic budget
    3. Size of city
    We can do nothing about the third, but we do control the first two. I don't know if a 40MM budget and tier 1 is achievable in the next 5 years, but we have to try get there. Imho fan support is not a problem area for us at this time.


  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,486

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Powerpoint is a highly effective tool at putting rooms full of people to sleep, no matter how much caffeine they drink.
    Webex and Webinars do the trick for me.

    Better than Ambien.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,486

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Budget in the high 20's and climbing.
    Football stadium project.
    Contract with a National media/marketing firm..
    Purchase of production equipment so that we may produce and sell our own broadcasts to National and Regional Networks
    Win consistently in Football and Men's Basketball.

    We have done a good job so far on facilities. We are playing catch up there but the good thing is....not only are we modernizing our facilities, when completed the facilities is comparable to the best mid majors and mid level P5 programs.

    We are on the cusp Academically. We now have at least 10 PHD programs which is one of the criteria for SREB 1/Doctoral 1 status.....

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,593

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    UL has three areas of deficiency when it comes to moving to the AAC:
    1. Academic reputation
    2. Athletic budget
    3. Size of city
    We can do nothing about the third, but we do control the first two. I don't know if a 40MM budget and tier 1 is achievable in the next 5 years, but we have to try get there. Imho fan support is not a problem area for us at this time.
    Storrs Connecticut & Greenville North Carolina are both huge metropolis

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Storrs Connecticut & Greenville North Carolina are both huge metropolis
    Agreed they are small, but Stoors is surrounded my major metro areas and UConn has a rich basketball tradition.
    East Carolina is more similar to us. We need to follow their blueprint.

  14. #34
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,148

    Alumni Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Both countries have fewer than Lafayette. Storrs in a county of 432 S miles which is almost twice Lafayette. Lafayette metro is bigger than both in population. Now Storrs may boarder a bigger metro area, but I could not find them as part of one.


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Both countries have fewer than Lafayette. Storrs in a county of 432 S miles which is almost twice Lafayette. Lafayette metro is bigger than both in population. Now Storrs may boarder a bigger metro area, but I could not find them as part of one.
    UConn and UL are not similar in academic or athletic stature. We have a long way to go to close the gap. That is my point. Tulane is an example of a school with good academics and a good market overriding their weak athletic department. It would be nice if Lafayette were a bigger city. I think it would greatly help our chances of moving up. Since it is not, we have to grow our student body over 20k, get to Tier 1 academically and greatly increase our budget. It will not be easy, but certainly not impossible.

  16. #36
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,148

    Alumni Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    UConn and UL are not similar in academic or athletic stature. We have a long way to go to close the gap. That is my point. Tulane is an example of a school with good academics and a good market overriding their weak athletic department. It would be nice if Lafayette were a bigger city. I think it would greatly help our chances of moving up. Since it is not, we have to grow our student body over 20k, get to Tier 1 academically and greatly increase our budget. It will not be easy, but certainly not impossible.
    What you mean and what you wrote aren't congruent. I agree that we need to grow everything. By the way UL is helping to grow the metropolitan market.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,593

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    UConn and UL are not similar in academic or athletic stature. We have a long way to go to close the gap. That is my point. Tulane is an example of a school with good academics and a good market overriding their weak athletic department. It would be nice if Lafayette were a bigger city. I think it would greatly help our chances of moving up. Since it is not, we have to grow our student body over 20k, get to Tier 1 academically and greatly increase our budget. It will not be easy, but certainly not impossible.
    Well first off we are not going for Tier 1 we are going for Carnegie Classification R1 and It has nothing to do with student body its the number of research/scholarly doctorates you have and we are only short like 8 .. Next evaluation is 2020 and we should meet that mark

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    What you mean and what you wrote aren't congruent. I agree that we need to grow everything. By the way UL is helping to grow the metropolitan market.
    I will spell it out clearer. You need at least 2 of the three things I mentioned in my first post. We have none of the three right now. Most AAC member check at least two of those boxes. The least likely of the three happening for us in the next 10 years is Lafayette becoming a large metro area.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    4,198

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    ...and the fourth and most important thing missing...a projected opening in the AAC. But we must be ready when the P5 boys shuffle the deck.


  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    On a regular basis Tulsa, Tulane, SMU don't. Just saying it's a lot more than butts in a seat. When we get those things straightened out there'll be more than 30K.
    Yes u are correct. Also should add we need to win a conference championship in football before worrying about what's next. If we can win it in this conference, we would be in trouble in the next

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •