Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

Louisiana New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

Conference membership a hot topic for fresh hire.

"My experiences with transition from one conference to another, I think, will provide some insight," he added. "But I know this: When you look to, and commit to, a transition process, you need to have infrastructure in place."

Ragin' Cajuns Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

I would add, (Dr. Maggard secretly speaking), ''Hold on to your _____ because we are going to complete things and align ourselves for a conference change so fast it will make your head spin".

Let us all say together.......AMEN!

Default Re: New UL athletic director addresses Sun Belt future

Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    I would add, (Dr. Maggard secretly speaking), ''Hold on to your _____ because we are going to complete things and align ourselves for a conference change so fast it will make your head spin".

Let us all say together.......AMEN!
    You mean he will have a plan and not just make a power point slide 3 days before a meeting

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    You mean he will have a plan and not just make a power point slide 3 days before a meeting
    Hopefully a 4th slide with his call back information, unlike the last AD.....

Powerpoint is a highly effective tool at putting rooms full of people to sleep, no matter how much caffeine they drink.

It seems to me that we have facilities now for the AAC. but the athletic budget is the handicap. Maybe Dr. Maggard gives us the contacts we need.

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    It seems to me that we have facilities now for the AAC. but the athletic budget is the handicap. Maybe Dr. Maggard gives us the contacts we need.
    I would agree except for football. Cajun Field needs some work...but hopefully that is still the next step (along with the production truck)

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I would agree except for football. Cajun Field needs some work...but hopefully that is still the next step (along with the production truck)
    Trucks. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Agreed: really the only facility lacking is CF. I truly think our wait to see those improvements done has been GREATLY reduced.

Blog Entries

Raise the value of athletic scholarships.

You can have any size budget you want.

The AAC has never shown any interest in UL at all. I think Dr. Maggard's pursuit of that pipe dream at this time would be wasted effort. I'd rather see him pursue getting serious talks started with universities that we'd like to align ourselves with in a newly formed, more geographically friendly conference that's made up of schools from the western divisions of the SBC and CUSA.

Get serious discussions going on between UL, USM, Rice, UTSA, UNT, LaTech, UAB, MT, Ark St, and USA, about forming a new 10 member conference. That is something that we have a realistic chance of actually making happen in our lifetimes.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    The AAC has never shown any interest in UL at all. I think Dr. Maggard's pursuit of that pipe dream at this time would be wasted effort. I'd rather see him pursue getting serious talks started with universities that we'd like to align ourselves with in a newly formed, more geographically friendly conference that's made up of schools from the western divisions of the SBC and CUSA.

Get serious discussions going on between UL, USM, Rice, UTSA, UNT, LaTech, UAB, MT, Ark St, and USA, about forming a new 10 member conference. That is something that we have a realistic chance of actually making happen in our lifetimes.
    Add UTEP and NMSU, and I am good with this.

Completely and totally false. When the AAC was deciding whether or not to expand to 16, UL was firmly in consideration. A person involved with those decision making processes told me first hand that UL was in.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Completely and totally false. When the AAC was deciding whether or not to expand to 16, UL was firmly in consideration. A person involved with those decision making processes told me first hand that UL was in.
    I have heard this from a few people as well. Not sure how credible their sources were, it wasn't first hand information, but they made it sound like we were seriously on the AAC "watch list".

If the AAC offer is not a possibility I have absolutely no issues with this. In fact, I believe this is going to happen over the next 10 years.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL did come up in the original discussions among the AAC membership committee. We were passed over because we were deemed not ready....which of course was and as of now is true.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    UL did come up in the original discussions among the AAC membership committee. We were passed over because we were deemed not ready....which of course was and as of now is true.
    I have seen people comment on here before about what UL needs to do to be ready, what do you think/know needs to happen to be "ready"?? I have followed your posts before, and you seem pretty in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Agreed: really the only facility lacking is CF. I truly think our wait to see those improvements done has been GREATLY reduced.
    Two words, NEW PRESSBOX! Hahaha When ESPN 3 covers a game it looks like the commentators are in an old outdoor kitchen!

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    I have seen people comment on here before about what UL needs to do to be ready, what do you think/know needs to happen to be "ready"?? I have followed your posts before, and you seem pretty in the know.
    Budget in the high 20's and climbing.
    Football stadium project.
    Contract with a National media/marketing firm..
    Purchase of production equipment so that we may produce and sell our own broadcasts to National and Regional Networks
    Win consistently in Football and Men's Basketball.

We have done a good job so far on facilities. We are playing catch up there but the good thing is....not only are we modernizing our facilities, when completed the facilities is comparable to the best mid majors and mid level P5 programs.

We are on the cusp Academically. We now have at least 10 PHD programs which is one of the criteria for SREB 1/Doctoral 1 status.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    If the AAC offer is not a possibility I have absolutely no issues with this. In fact, I believe this is going to happen over the next 10 years.
    The schools that currently make up the AAC consider themselves far superior to any school in the SBC or CUSA. Some of them have better academics, some have better athletics, and some have both, but they ALL absolutely loathe the SBC and CUSA. Unless it loses three or four members and gets desperate for replacements, I don't see any current SBC or CUSA member being invited to join the AAC anytime soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast