Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: East West Shrine Game

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    LOL!!! True! But my point was just because the play was successful in an all-star game, doesn't justify Hudspeth's commitment to run him constantly between the tackles. Mainly because you don't watch video of your opponents offense and plan to defend it. It's an all-star game.
    Yeah: we agree. The Shrine coaches are running plays these players will run in the NFL to see how they'll do, with zero regard for winning a football game. Wish Eli could've caught one or two out of the backfield, but apparently he showed some of that in practice this week.

He answered a lot of questions today, though, simply by finding holes and breaking tackles up the middle.

The fact that his was the only touchdown only helped. LOL

Default Re: East West Shrine Game

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    Was excited to get this alert on my iPhone!! 🤓
    When did he shrink to 5'9"?

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    Was excited to get this alert on my iPhone!! 🤓
    I had no idea he was 5'9"... I just assumed he was taller.

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    I had no idea he was 5'9"... I just assumed he was taller.
    ---The things to remember about the ball being run in the middle are the different sets, play action , and blocking schemes---Zone blocking, Zone read of everybody on the defensive front, traps, counter pulls, H back schemes, and more that are used to run with quickness or during play development!!!

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    But But But... only an idiot would run Eli up the middle
    Your obsession with Hud is weird.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    As for running up the middle. There were actually holes he could run through.
    And if an NFL coach can mastermind an offense that produces holes for Eli to run through, more power to that coach. Succeeding at anything offensively has to do with producing multiple play threats. There's a difference between launching a small quick back through a gap... and pounding him into a wall.

Our biggest Hud fan on here thinks he exonerated our poor use of Eli this past year. The question is... Why did running Eli between the tackles work this weekend and not this past year?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Your obsession with Hud is weird.
    I was referring to the first couple of comments made on this thread.

Your obsession with Hud is also weird.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    I was referring to the first couple of comments made on this thread.

Your obsession with Hud is also weird.
    I post on substantially diverse forum subjects. Even when it comes to UL football itself, I exchange with others on a wide variety of topics. You focus on defending Hud. I want Hud to succeed... because that means UL succeeds. He's ego'd out because of people like you. And it's going to cost him... and UL.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I post on substantially diverse forum subjects. Even when it comes to UL football itself, I exchange with others on a wide variety of topics. You focus on defending Hud. I want Hud to succeed... because that means UL succeeds. He's ego'd out because of people like you. And it's going to cost him... and UL.
    yeah, but damnm.....You gotta love those tight ssss shirts that stud wears, right???

Z

We know Eli was hurt for a good portion of the season. Is it possible that the foot/ankle injury limited his ability to plant and cut, thereby limiting his opportunities on the edge?
    I realize it is an all-star game and he had all-star blockers but arent the defensive guys also all-stars? And wouldn't a running play up the middle be the first thing the D works on?
    I dont think its as simple as "Hud stupid".

Thankfully the Prophet (TM) didn't let HUD's inability to think past his biceps affect his ability to make money. You have to respect a kid who goes out there and does it himself when times get tough. Of all the "positive" coaches can bring to student athletes, eventually they will be on their own. That's where the rubber meets the road, and you find out who you are as a person. Congrats Eli, YOU did this. No one else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    yeah, but damnm.....You gotta love those tight ssss shirts that stud wears, right???

Z
    You know I can't criticize his tight shirts. I wear tight thongs to show off my moose knuckle. It's the same thing, Z!

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

You know I can't criticize his tight shirts. I wear tight thongs to show off my moose knuckle. It's the same thing, Z!
    To this day, the moose knuckle still haunts me in my dreams!!!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Thankfully the Prophet (TM) didn't let HUD's inability to think past his biceps affect his ability to make money. You have to respect a kid who goes out there and does it himself when times get tough. Of all the "positive" coaches can bring to student athletes, eventually they will be on their own. That's where the rubber meets the road, and you find out who you are as a person. Congrats Eli, YOU did this. No one else.
    Amen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    We know Eli was hurt for a good portion of the season. Is it possible that the foot/ankle injury limited his ability to plant and cut, thereby limiting his opportunities on the edge?
    I realize it is an all-star game and he had all-star blockers but arent the defensive guys also all-stars? And wouldn't a running play up the middle be the first thing the D works on?
    I dont think its as simple as "Hud stupid".
    When it came to our offense this past season... most defenses also focused on stopping the run of Eli. He was hampered by injury. No matter how you cut it, he was utilized poorly. To say we had a "clever" offense... just wouldn't be appropriate. And personally... I like offensive cleverness. If you truly know you have dominate athletes over the balance of your competition... you can play slug-it-out football. If you do not... you must deploy your brain as part of the offensive strategy. Having Eli "pound" the ball between the tackles just didn't illuminate a sense of "clever" on our program's part. And don't get me wrong... there are few on here that can get as ramped up as me for power and pure kill instinct. But I also have a profound appreciation for putting extreme power and kill instinct into a clever delivery.

As for all-star games... you are right in that there are all-stars all over the field. What you don't truly have is a cohesive team on either side of the ball. Who knows what's going on in the minds of the athletes. Many haven't even played the style of offense/defense played by these all-star coaches. They don't know the tendencies or limitations of the players around them. Some athletes are trying to make individual highlight footage. Others probably focus on not getting hurt. Who really knows?

It's great that Eli had a great day with limited opportunity. I just hope whatever chances he gets in the NFL, it's the style of football that showcases his tremendous abilities. It will depend heavily on where he goes and if they understand who and what they're working with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    To this day, the moose knuckle still haunts me in my dreams!!!

Z
    Do not give in to those dreams. Like Hud... I'm a freak of nature. But like Hud... I refuse to purchase larger apparel... just to limit the nightmares of other men.

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

How many touches did Eli end up with and what was his total yards running the ball? Did he have any receiving yards? Best to Eli!

7 carries 42 yards and a touchdown.

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

So 6 yards per carry! Wish he would have had more carries, like some of the backs. 10-15 would have been nice and a pass in the flats!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    So 6 yards per carry! Wish he would have had more carries, like some of the backs. 10-15 would have been nice and a pass in the flats!
    That would have been nice for us (fans)... and it would have been cool for Eli with the viewing audience... but he did his job for an NFL spot during the week leading up to the game. NFL scouts know how good his hands are, they know how quick and elusive he is, they've seen how naturally powerfully built he is, and all that goes into their assessments.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast