Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    I would be in favor of a P5 Playoff on one bracket and a G5 Playoff in another bracket, with the two champions meeting to decide the National Championship. Similar to NFC and AFC. I don't see why this would be not at least considered.

I'd envision 6 teams in each bracket. The 5 P5 Conference champions and 1 at-large. The 5 G5 Champs and 1 at-large.

This would be a fair and really exciting Playoff.
    No it wouldn't be. It'd be like taking the top 6 teams in the NFL and have them play and have 7-12 play and give a ticket to a team in the bottom 7. It'd be like making 1-8 in a basketball regional play and having them match up with a 9-16 to get to the final 4. In what world should western Michigan have an easier path to the national champ game than Washington.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    And I know it's not a popular idea, but it might be necessary. On a theoretical level, 1 in 128 teams have a chance at the National Championship. On an actual level, 1 in 64ish have a chance. The other 64 play for bowl games. It's the worst post-season in sports.
    What it is, is the prelude to another separation between the top of the G5 and the bottom that has been privately discussed. Some of us have discussed it somewhat on Ragin Pagin. Once that happens, you might as well play FCS Football.

Default Re: G5 Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18369921/growing-number-group-5-officials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams
    There you have it boys....1-AA relabeled. What utter BS. "National networks interested"...I don't know who won the FCS championship other than NDSU got knocked out. Nor do I give a flip. And neither will America.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    I would be in favor of a P5 Playoff on one bracket and a G5 Playoff in another bracket, with the two champions meeting to decide the National Championship. Similar to NFC and AFC. I don't see why this would be not at least considered.
    That will never happen. Pigs at the trough, no room for the "runts" of G-5. They just expanded to four teams playing for the Championship. Just more money at the end of the day. And the big boys don't want to share anymore.

MelRock is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

If this happens the next thing will be for the big boys to raise the number of scholarships they give out in football, basketball, baseball etc.

This is a no win for us.

On an actual level, 1 in 64ish have a chance. The other 64 play for bowl games. It's the worst post-season in sports.
    And the REAL truth is that maybe only 1 in 30 have a realistic chance.... yea the Vandebilt's, Kentucky's, Wake Forest's and the likes have a theoretical chance but year in year out it is only a small, similar handful that are really in the hunt.... The finances in the P5 are widely varying also....Truth is there is Top P5; Bottom P5 and G5

We play for a New Orleans bowl berth with a 1 in 68 (G5 schools) chance of making it into the big bowl. A playoff gives you something to play for.
    We already have something worthless to play for, with a (long)shot at a magical moment in an NY6. Give me that over a "cher, look how cute" playoff any day.

This is bullcrap.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    And the REAL truth is that maybe only 1 in 30 have a realistic chance.... yea the Vandebilt's, Kentucky's, Wake Forest's and the likes have a theoretical chance but year in year out it is only a small, similar handful that are really in the hunt.... The finances in the P5 are widely varying also....Truth is there is Top P5; Bottom P5 and G5
    The playoff format should be changed to include all conference champions and a few at large selections. FBS should be FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    If this happens the next thing will be for the big boys to raise the number of scholarships they give out in football, basketball, baseball etc.
    BINGO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The playoff format should be changed to include all conference champions and a few at large selections. FBS should be FBS.
    This right here...

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Agreed. But that's like saying we need world peace.

Stupid idea conjured up by people who want the demise of the G5 and the those who are in it.

I just read a SBNation article, it talked about making a 4 team G5 championship tournament with same criteria as the existing CFP.
    You keep all other bowls the same.
    They had Boise St vs Temple and USF vs Western Mich.

At least gives G5 teams and actual title chance but doesn't give a total break away which would be damaging beyond repair. Also, bowls stay in place.

little league playoff will be considered just that, little league. Who wants that?

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    little league playoff will be considered just that, little league. Who wants that?
    so we just stay pat with never a chance of doing anything other than a NOLA bowl?

NOLA bowl is littler league

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    so we just stay pat with never a chance of doing anything other than a NOLA bowl?
    That access bowl is going to make more money for western Michigan ten fold than this silly little play off idea

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    That access bowl is going to make more money for western Michigan ten fold than this silly little play off idea
    For 1 team! Sunbelt team will never even get that opportunity. Western Mich loses one game, which by the way, they did against Ok St. Refs blew it and admitted to blowing it. They got more than lucky.

An undefeated Sunbelt would lose out to a 2 lost American champion or 1-2 lose MWC ever year.

Definitely don't stay pat, keep searching for better and more access to the best that can be accomplished in College football. Don't settle for lower tier, and 2nd class.

I'm not for either at this point, but we ____ed either way.

I'm not for either at this point, but we ____ed either way.
    We may be.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast