Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Baseball polls

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Baseball polls

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    The government pretends to pay workers, while the workers pretend to work. What could go wrong?
    =====Did you make this up===What a great line

the paradoxical humor is so correct

--Can I borrow it for discussions with my liberal friends at parties??? lol

Brenn Conrad also tore the cover off of the ball in the fall. None of the pitchers could fool him.

Hey Lafayette high...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    =====Did you make this up===What a great line

the paradoxical humor is so correct

--Can I borrow it for discussions with my liberal friends at parties??? lol

It's an old Soviet Union joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_political_jokes

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Hey Lafayette high...

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Some might hack the Government? At least those with their own home servers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    I and others (Robe) are less concerned with BA than OB% and Slugging %. Sensley destroyed baseballs in Alaska with maple bats. Hoping the swing holes are now smaller and aluminum will respond, also. Not going too far out on the limb saying Handsome Monica (1.102 OPS last year) will destroy baseballs.

Sensley hit .308 in 38 games overall, led the Alaska league in home runs (6) and slugging percentage (.531), and tied for first in extra base hits (16). He was second in the league in RBIs (27) and (OPS) on-base-slugging percentage (.915). He also stole seven bases.

Last year we had one player with OPS % over .900, Kyle Clement. OB% + SLG % = OPS. If those two can hit over .900 OPS in the middle of the order, spring and summer could be very sweet.

Playing summer ball in Alaska and coming from a JUCO in no way gets you ready for a weekend series with 4000 plus people in the house each game against a quality Div 1 opponent or conference opponent.

Players who were "lights out" in the fall mean nothing as well, See above statement.

Basically this is a TEAM sport and whether you have one guy that's Mr. Super Stats or five guys, you still have to have good pitching, good defense, and TIMELY hitting [See the UCLA team who won the CWS a few years back with a .242 team BA]. Hell, it might have been even lower.

All in all, expectations are high going into this season as well they should be. BUT you have to play all 56 first and then we'll see what's happening.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Baseball Re: Baseball polls

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Playing summer ball in Alaska and coming from a JUCO in no way gets you ready for a weekend series with 4000 plus people in the house each game against a quality Div 1 opponent or conference opponent.

Players who were "lights out" in the fall mean nothing as well, See above statement.

Basically this is a TEAM sport and whether you have one guy that's Mr. Super Stats or five guys, you still have to have good pitching, good defense, and TIMELY hitting [See the UCLA team who won the CWS a few years back with a .242 team BA]. Hell, it might have been even lower.

All in all, expectations are high going into this season as well they should be. BUT you have to play all 56 first and then we'll see what's happening.
    Of course you can win a championship getting hot in the short run, but far more games and titles won with great stats than mediocre to bad stats.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post

I bet people enjoy having you at parties. BTW, Sensley hit very well in the regionals. So your patronizing his playing well in Alaska is not relevant at all.

No one is saying we will be the best hitting team ever. People are pumped because the hitting talent we have this year is better than last year. Summer ball and fall ball are indicators of people developing well.

But, go on scolding people for being excited for baseball season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I bet people enjoy having you at parties. BTW, Sensley hit very well in the regionals. So your patronizing his playing well in Alaska is not relevant at all.

No one is saying we will be the best hitting team ever. People are pumped because the hitting talent we have this year is better than last year. Summer ball and fall ball are indicators of people developing well.

But, go on scolding people for being excited for baseball season.
    Some people embrace expectations, others would much rather have none because it's easier to deal with poor results.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Some people embrace expectations, others would much rather have none because it's easier to deal with poor results.
    That's what she said.

I understand being excited for ball. I am too. But babysitter is right. Stats and things done prior to the lights coming on for the first Friday night are irrelevant. Development is encouraging, sure. I personally think Sensley will be very good for us this year. But baseball people know how mental this game is. Especially in baseball, I try to stay away from expectations. Not because it's easier to deal with poor results, but because baseball is a game of failure. Many many things must go right to have consistent success.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I understand being excited for ball. I am too. But babysitter is right. Stats and things done prior to the lights coming on for the first Friday night are irrelevant. Development is encouraging, sure. I personally think Sensley will be very good for us this year. But baseball people know how mental this game is. Especially in baseball, I try to stay away from expectations. Not because it's easier to deal with poor results, but because baseball is a game of failure. Many many things must go right to have consistent success.
    I hate when you take a Valium and post on RP.

Blog Entries

I embrace coaches that have high expectations, challenge their athletes, demand commitment and state their goals publicly. I'm not talking about committing to specific stats, but specific team goals. See Robichaux and Lotief for results.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I hate when you take a Valium and post on RP.
    Summer is over.. I got what I wanted, we're headed in the right direction, new AD in place, and my new stadium is almost built..

I have to return to my diplomatic ways for a while, you know that..

But by babysitter's way of doing things we must wait until all 56 games are played before we can be excited about having a talented team and generally pumped for the upcoming season. I don't think anyone believes there are any guarantees, but on paper this is going to be one of our more talented teams ever. Let the fans enjoy it. To pretend this team has no promise is retarded (not saying that's your opinion MAT). To imply this team doesn't have the pitching and defense to compete is nonsensical. Ppl have been discussing offensive expectations because the pitching and defense is going to be the same (probably better), but what was missing last year was consistent bats. So fans are excited that that specific area will be improved this year.

Yes, this team has proven nothing, but pardon me while I enjoy some of the hype without being told that I have to wait 56 games in before I enjoy 2017 Cajuns baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    But by babysitter's way of doing things we must wait until all 56 games are played before we can be excited about having a talented team and generally pumped for the upcoming season. I don't think anyone believes there are any guarantees, but on paper this is going to be one of our more talented teams ever. Let the fans enjoy it. To pretend this team has no promise is retarded (not saying that's your opinion MAT). To imply this team doesn't have the pitching and defense to compete is nonsensical. Ppl have been discussing offensive expectations because the pitching and defense is going to be the same (probably better), but what was missing last year was consistent bats. So fans are excited that that specific area will be improved this year.

Yes, this team has proven nothing, but pardon me while I enjoy some of the hype without being told that I have to wait 56 games in before I enjoy 2017 Cajuns baseball.
    I hear you. And you are right, it's ridiculous not to allow yourself to get pumped up about this squad. I'm fighting my own inner urge to get extremely confident about them, honestly. On paper, we have all of the tools. Really, we have a surplus of tools. Fans should be giddy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast