Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UTA crushes #12 St. Mary's 65-51

Default Re: UTA crushes #12 St. Mary's 65-51

In listening to coach Johnson yesterday on radio, I found it very odd that Tech has like 8 or 9 lefties on their team. Not that it really matters but thought it was strange. We will really see how good of a rebounding team we have this year in this game. I've been concerned about rebounding although some here see it as a strength even with our lack of height. Tech is long and athletic so we will be testing this against a better level of athlete than what we've been facing. We need to man up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    In listening to coach Johnson yesterday on radio, I found it very odd that Tech has like 8 or 9 lefties on their team. Not that it really matters but thought it was strange. We will really see how good of a rebounding team we have this year in this game. I've been concerned about rebounding although some here see it as a strength even with our lack of height. Tech is long and athletic so we will be testing this against a better level of athlete than what we've been facing. We need to man up tomorrow.
    I think the lefty thing comes into play.. You played, so maybe you had a similar experience.. I always had a little adjustment period when defending a lefty (dribbling/shooting/in the post). Probably because the game is so dominated by righties and natural tendency.

I was actually at the St. Mary's - UTA game last night. UTA totally outclassed them... Bigger... Much much more athletic.

Game wasn't even as close as the score. If they played eachother 10 times, UTA would win 9.

Movin' Mavs are for real. Sun Belt looks good this year.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    This is ridiculous statement, no one ever said it is impossible. I guess our 2 wins on the road were miracles as well.
    No, our two road wins are against two teams who are totally pathetic. We had two chances for decent OOC road wins this year, Minnesota and Georgia. We did not get it done at Minnesota, maybe Bobby Big Fish can quit making excuses and get the win in Athens. As of this week, the UNO game is potentially an all right road win, but I don't think their RPI will hold up, nor do I think they will win enough games to help our RPI.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think the lefty thing comes into play.. You played, so maybe you had a similar experience.. I always had a little adjustment period when defending a lefty (dribbling/shooting/in the post). Probably because the game is so dominated by righties and natural tendency.
    ---where and when did you guys play?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---where and when did you guys play?
    High school, Air Force, adult rec, still play at Reds and Bougois when I can..

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

High school, Air Force, adult rec, still play at Reds and Bougois when I can..
    ---What HS---thanks for your service---Stretch very well before these games!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---What HS---thanks for your service---Stretch very well before these games!!! lol
    Now that's a secret. Can't give away my bias Boomer.

Science has shown that most who develop (not all) left hand tendencies are due to poor potty training when they were youngsters....just saying, but that would describe Tech....

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Science has shown that most who develop (not all) left hand tendencies are due to poor potty training when they were youngsters....just saying, but that would describe Tech....
    Three of the last 4 presidents of the US would like a word with you.

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    No, our two road wins are against two teams who are totally pathetic. We had two chances for decent OOC road wins this year, Minnesota and Georgia. We did not get it done at Minnesota, maybe Bobby Big Fish can quit making excuses and get the win in Athens. As of this week, the UNO game is potentially an all right road win, but I don't think their RPI will hold up, nor do I think they will win enough games to help our RPI.
    We get it you hate Marlin. When Marlin makes a comment you call it an excuse and spin it. If you think it is so easy call the office and volunteer to do the scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    We get it you hate Marlin. When Marlin makes a comment you call it an excuse and spin it. If you think it is so easy call the office and volunteer to do the scheduling.
    We pay him nearly half a million dollars a year. I honestly don't think we do that to play d2 schools and d1 bottom feeders. Saying it is all about 3 games in March is an excuse, I don't care how you spin it. Being satisfied with never winning a conference title is an excuse. Being happy to get a 16 seed is an excuse.

I am not the one calling for playing Duke or Kansas, but I don't believe for a minute that the best he can do is to schedule SLC bottom feeders and d2 schools for home OOC games.

As far as his salary is concerned he is getting paid what the market calls for. If you do not like it cough up the money to buy him. I am sure your gift to RCAF jumped up once Scott was let go.

Marty Flecher Era 1987-1987
    1991-92 SBC Champions & Tournament Champions, NCAA Tournament
    1993-94 SBC Tournament Champions, NCAA Tournament

Jesse Evans Era 1998-2004
    1999-00 SBC Champions & Tournament Champions, NCAA Tournament
    2003-04 SBC Tournament Champions, NCAA Tournament, Later vacated so never happened.

So show me another time any UL team that has been in the SBC has made the NCAA tournament by not winning the conference. Show me another SBC team that was a 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. When was the last time a SBC team made the NCAA without winning the SBC tournament.

Again I get it you hate Marlin and have been calling for him to be fired for some time now. If you want to go back to the Evan years with the all of the arrest and guys not being eligible for the whole season, then you can have it.

Lefties are easier to guard. Most lefties are more dominant handed than righties. Force them to dribble right, and spin to "their left" when posting up and it disrupts rhythm MUCH more than those same tactics on righties.

Since 2000, the SBC Auto Bid has gone to #16 Seeds in 2011 [UALR], 2012 [WKU] and 2013 [WKU]; to #15 Seeds in 2007 and 2010 [both times UNT]; the rest have been 14 or better. The best seed since 2000 for an auto bid was 9 [WKU in 2002]. The SBC has had two teams in the tournament twice since 2000: 2008 [USA 10 at large, WKU 12 auto] and 2013 [WKU 16 auto, MTSU 11 at large].

Little bit of an adjustment. More for the Righty as the Lefty plays against predominantly right handed players more. Easier to block shots but also the same for getting yours blocked. I found the post to be a little trickier when playing offense but it wasn't a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    Lefties are easier to guard. Most lefties are more dominant handed than righties. Force them to dribble right, and spin to "their left" when posting up and it disrupts rhythm MUCH more than those same tactics on righties.
    Yes but the same advantages you have are reversed when they are guarding you.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Since 2000, the SBC Auto Bid has gone to #16 Seeds in 2011 [UALR], 2012 [WKU] and 2013 [WKU]; to #15 Seeds in 2007 and 2010 [both times UNT]; the rest have been 14 or better. The best seed since 2000 for an auto bid was 9 [WKU in 2002]. The SBC has had two teams in the tournament twice since 2000: 2008 [USA 10 at large, WKU 12 auto] and 2013 [WKU 16 auto, MTSU 11 at large].
    Thank you, this is information I did not know.

Mel, I don't hate Marlin. I actually love the way he runs his program. I would happily support a 16-15 Cajuns team if we were actually playing schools that would benefit our RPI and that of the conference. No coach is allowed to complain about being in a one bid league if his OOC schedule is littered with 7-24 teams with RPIs in the 200+ range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2