Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: The Advertiser Sucks

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It was forced.. and we all know it.. And so does everyone in athletics.. and anyone that watched the press conference..
    That's not the point. I have conceded that it was forced.

    Again, as a individual, I can say that but he is stating something as an official position that is not. He could say "what appears to be the forced resignation." But to state it as fact is unethical and dishonest as a journalist.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,369

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It was forced.. and we all know it.. And so does everyone in athletics.. and anyone that watched the press conference..
    No doubt but I do follow the logic. As a journalist your held to a higher standard and have to back up your statements without question. When journalist report on crime they often use the terms "person of interest" and "alleged". We all know they did it!!

    You know it, I know it, the journalist knows it...but if he doesn't have the smoking gun he should be careful what he prints and make very clear what is opinion vs. fact and have the evidence to back it up. It is a slippery slope. The SF comment isn't a big deal but if that behavior continues into other areas of his work.....???

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    Probable doesn't because I'm sure he gets all his news from this message board instead of his newspaper because he knows his newspaper is trash.

    Yes, all the published information, news conferences, official announcements were that he was voluntarily stepping down.

    I have no problem calling Buckley out and have no respect for him since he has only contempt for the program that gives him his livelihood and agree with above about him owing those he defamed an apology. I fully expected a retraction in the stories where he said "forced resignation," but I obviously gave him and the Daily Advertiser and Kevin Foote more credit for being decent people than they deserve.
    I'm interested in the truth, not what a narrative set forth for "official" public consumption says.. Most people would probably prefer the truth.

    Buckle wrote the truth..

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    That's not the point. I have conceded that it was forced.

    Again, as a individual, I can say that but he is stating something as an official position that is not. He could say "what appears to be the forced resignation." But to state it as fact is unethical and dishonest as a journalist.
    But... it is fact.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,014
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    That's not the point. I have conceded that it was forced.

    Again, as a individual, I can say that but he is stating something as an official position that is not. He could say "what appears to be the forced resignation." But to state it as fact is unethical and dishonest as a journalist.
    He was probably told off the record and made the statement with some assumption on his part. Now I can understand why that is a problem with some, but really who cares? This is a paper that has a circulation of around 18,000 right now and has cut staff down to the bone to survive. Yes, he is the beat writer, but I really don't care about his journalistic standards because it has and always will be about the bottom line. For the record, I don't read the Daily Advertiser that much and I don't understand why you, or anyone else would if you have a problem with the integrity of the journalist on staff.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    He was probably told off the record and made the statement with some assumption on his part. Now I can understand why that is a problem with some, but really who cares? This is a paper that has a circulation of around 18,000 right now and has cut staff down to the bone to survive. Yes, he is the beat writer, but I really don't care about his journalistic standards because it has and always will be about the bottom line. For the record, I don't read the Daily Advertiser that much and I don't understand why you, or anyone else would if you have a problem with the integrity of the journalist on staff.
    I like to see "Daily Advertiser Sucks" at the top of the message board and not a big fan of the "bump" tactic. If I am going to post something it should be thought provoking and worthwhile.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It was forced.. and we all know it.. And so does everyone in athletics.. and anyone that watched the press conference..
    Are you happy with only hearing the final score?

    Do you only need the punch line to laugh at a joke.

    Do you pay bills that just anyone sends you?

    Do you go to a movie just to see the ending?

    A matter of fact journalist without facts is a cart before the horse writer.

    If the evolution is to be believed, connect the dots and show me the formula.

    Now if you say he was forced out, common knowledge right? Ok. But I'm a microfiche researcher and this claim has no legs. It's a head with no body.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Are you happy with only hearing the final score?

    Do you only need the punch line to laugh at a joke.

    Do you pay bills that just anyone sends you?

    Do you go to a movie just to see the ending?

    A matter of fact journalist without facts is a cart before the horse writer.

    If the evolution is to be believed, connect the dots and show me the formula.

    Now if you say he was forced out, common knowledge right? Ok. But I'm a microfiche researcher and this claim has no legs. It's a head with no body.
    Literally none of that applies here.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Literally none of that applies here.
    An untethered story is as relevant as understanding any of the events listed.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    An untethered story is as relevant as understanding any of the events listed.
    It's not "untethered". Buckley is writing what he, and most of his readers, know to be exactly what happened.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    No doubt but I do follow the logic. As a journalist your held to a higher standard and have to back up your statements without question. When journalist report on crime they often use the terms "person of interest" and "alleged". We all know they did it!!

    You know it, I know it, the journalist knows it...but if he doesn't have the smoking gun he should be careful what he prints and make very clear what is opinion vs. fact and have the evidence to back it up. It is a slippery slope. The SF comment isn't a big deal but if that behavior continues into other areas of his work.....???
    Your point is well taken.

    I somewhat agree with your last sentence, but I prefer the raw truth. In buckelys case, his style can be volatile, but it's a win/win for the reader IMO. If he's right in his "assumption", you get the full story. If he's wrong, you get the response from readers and a lot of times, the parties involved.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It's not "untethered". Buckley is writing what he, and most of his readers, know to be exactly what happened.
    It may make you happy but its a boat with no anchor.

    Knowing something now, without connected dot documentation is worth less than the paper it isn't written on.

    Some people call it fake news.

    Bad health can "force" you out.

    "Forced out" without a story is worthless.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Your point is well taken.

    I somewhat agree with your last sentence, but I prefer the raw truth. In buckelys case, his style can be volatile, but it's a win/win for the reader IMO. If he's right in his "assumption", you get the full story. If he's wrong, you get the response from readers and a lot of times, the parties involved.
    It is not the truth.

    Buckley is not the arbiter of truth.

    It's fine for people on this message board to say they know the truth but for Buckley to do it when it is contrary to everything that every news outlet publishes, then he has no integrity unless he proves it.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ventura, California
    Posts
    3,383

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    what article are you now talking about, please post link, as the article title posted in this thread says "photos", im not seeing the other article


  15. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    It is not the truth.

    Buckley is not the arbiter of truth.

    It's fine for people on this message board to say they know the truth but for Buckley to do it when it is contrary to everything that every news outlet publishes, then he has no integrity unless he proves it.
    So an official release or stance by the university is the arbiter of truth? No. The truth is the truth.

    Turbine's BS about connecting dots has nothing to do with Buckley saying he was forced out. If the reader wants a back story, said reader has multiple avenues to investigate and form their own opinion.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    "Truth, what is that?"


  18. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    "Truth, what is that?"
    A mythical being, apparently..

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: The Advertiser Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A mythical being, apparently..
    Says Buckley?

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    Says Buckley?
    Who's on first?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •