Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The fix: A common-sense solution for conference realignment

Default Re: The fix: A common-sense solution for conference realignment

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If the SWC goes to 12, I think you would see a West/East split with the Texas schools + NMSU being West and the rest in the East.
    So, it could look like this:

East - Ark. State, LA Tech, Louisiana, USM, USA, UAB/Troy
    West - NMSU, UTEP, N. Texas, UTSA, TX State, Rice

It would depend on if the Texas schools want to all be in the same division.

I, personally, would prefer the North/South split. All of our division games are basically at schools along I 10. All are drivable and we have a Houston exposure, important for recruiting as we need a Texas presence. Plus much better travel cities in Houston, San Marcos, San Antonio, Hattiesburg and Mobile, than Ruston, Birmingham, and Jonesboro.

I guess it will be what it will be.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    S
    I, personally, would prefer the North/South split.
    When predicting realignment, the main error I frequently made was starting with what was the best scenario for LA.

I've learned to think in terms of what is most likely to happen. Once you begin with this mindset, then all you need is enough accurate information, and realignment becomes slightly predictable.

Of the CUSA-6 that will create this new league, 4 of them are Texas schools, and they will want to stay together if divisions are created. They are creating this thing. They will dictate the divisions.

Besides, a division with Arkansas State, Tech, Southern Miss and South Alabama? Man, that would be rivalry week every week.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: The fix: A common-sense solution for conference realignment

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    When predicting realignment, the main error I frequently made was starting with what was the best scenario for LA.

I've learned to think in terms of what is most likely to happen. Once you begin with this mindset, then all you need is enough accurate information, and realignment becomes slightly predictable.

Of the CUSA-6 that will create this new league, 4 of them are Texas schools, and they will want to stay together if divisions are created. They are creating this thing. They will dictate the divisions.

Besides, a division with Arkansas State, Tech, Southern Miss and South Alabama? Man, that would be rivalry week every week.
    Generally speaking you have one constant opponent in the other division and that could be Rice for us, keeping us in the Houston area every year.

Generally I agree with your take on the Texas schools they want to play each other more than anything, and the Eastern division would be one awesome battle every week.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    The best hope for all concerned would be a mega-merger with four six-team "pods" that feed into a championship game or some type of four-team playoff scenario as a Thursday-Monday playoff/championship in a city like New Orleans. Win Thursday, and stay in town until Monday.

The 20 conference teams that do not make the four-team playoff randomly play each other in a "consolation game" as their 12th game, with all of this taking place before bowl selection happens.

I bet that some network would be interested in broadcast rights to something like this because it creates plenty of advertising sales opportunities in a large swath of the southern United States.
    This actually makes the most sense. Reduce OOC games to 2 or 3 and play a 10 or 9 game conference schedule. Have 1 permanent cross division rival and rotate the other 3 or 4 games.

No more FCS games and play 2 or 3 OOC depending on the 9 or 10 game conference slate. The media package could potentially be larger since it would essentially lock up every southern state. Bowl games would be an issue though. You could possibly see a conference foe in a bowl game.

Some great ideas here. Lets do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2