Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The fix: A common-sense solution for conference realignment

Default The fix: A common-sense solution for conference realignment

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    If they decide to do this, and I think they should, the conference leaders will be kicking themselves in the ___.

Default Re: The fix: A common-sense solution for conference realignment

You guys notice that on the option maps (towards the bottom), there's no ULM? Are they dropping football or moving back to FCS?

Nevermind, just saw the explanation of the lack of budget along with UTEP's remote location.

This makes way too much sense for the "smart" people leading our schools to consider!

What the MT AD said is probably what's going to happen. The ex-Sun Belt schools and Southern Miss won't play us in football and basketball in most cases. If brought under more financial pressure they might.

For many years I've hoped the states outside of Louisiana would restrict taxpayer money for athletics to level the playing field.

The drivable away conference games would be great.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Nevermind, just saw the explanation of the lack of budget along with UTEP's remote location.
    NMSU should be in this mix.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

NMST
    UTEP
    UTSA
    TXST
    RICE
    UNT
    UL
    USM
    LA TECH
    A-ST.
    ......IF YOU WANT 12 ADD USA and Troy

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The real answer for us is the AAC.....and it is doable

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE

WESTERN DIVISION
    Navy
    Tulsa
    Memphis
    Houston
    SMU
    Tulane

EASTERN DIVISION
    Temple
    USF
    UCF
    Cincinnati
    East Carolina
    UConn

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

NMST
    UTEP
    UTSA
    TXST
    RICE
    UNT
    UL
    USM
    LA TECH
    A-ST.
    ......IF YOU WANT 12 ADD USA and Troy
    Doc and others are pushing a grand shuffling of schools between conferences to accomplish regionality. While sounding nice, it is a bit pie in the sky. Reality dictates that schools will not be forced to associate with schools they do not want. Regionality will happen, but it will happen organically.

The list you have is very likely. Only caveat is that I think it stops at 9, unless stAte, South Al and either UAB or Troy come over for 12. I don't see stAte coming unless the others do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Doc and others are pushing a grand shuffling of schools between conferences to accomplish regionality. While sounding nice, it is a bit pie in the sky. Reality dictates that schools will not be forced to associate with schools they do not want. Regionality will happen, but it will happen organically.

The list you have is very likely. Only caveat is that I think it stops at 9, unless stAte, South Al and either UAB or Troy come over for 12. I don't see stAte coming unless the others do as well.
    With current Sun Belt and C-USA exit fees as high as they are, I really don't see schools abandoning one conference for the other any time soon. A few years ago when the Sun Belt had no exit fee, C-USA was making 20 million/yr. in TV money, and they were a step above in prestige, it made sense for Sun Belt schools to jump to C-USA. Today, both conferences are competitively equal to each other, have very large exit fees, and make about the same from TV. There's really no incentive to take a huge financial hit to move laterally.

I think a mutual conference shuffle is way more plausible than most people think.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    With current Sun Belt and C-USA exit fees as high as they are, I really don't see schools abandoning one conference for the other any time soon. A few years ago when the Sun Belt had no exit fee, C-USA was making 20 million/yr. in TV money, and they were a step above in prestige, it made sense for Sun Belt schools to jump to C-USA. Today, both conferences are competitively equal to each other, have very large exit fees, and make about the same from TV. There's really no incentive to take a huge financial hit to move laterally.

I think a mutual conference shuffle is way more plausible than most people think.
    I'd hope so. Just need Egos to be put on the side.

The best hope for all concerned would be a mega-merger with four six-team "pods" that feed into a championship game or some type of four-team playoff scenario as a Thursday-Monday playoff/championship in a city like New Orleans. Win Thursday, and stay in town until Monday.

The 20 conference teams that do not make the four-team playoff randomly play each other in a "consolation game" as their 12th game, with all of this taking place before bowl selection happens.

I bet that some network would be interested in broadcast rights to something like this because it creates plenty of advertising sales opportunities in a large swath of the southern United States.

Agreed. And I can betcha that will be the mission given to the new AD. Or, better said, that will be the mission that shapes who the new AD is.

Change the names of the conferences to remove any stigma attached. That's why 1-A/1-AA was changed to FBS/FCS.

6 schools from CUSA West can leave CUSA with NCAA autobid intact in 2018.

Summer of 2017 is when this will all be decided as to who will go with them from the SBC. The new SWC will be formed. CUSA will cherry pick the remaining SBC schools with probably ULM being the only school left out. The SBC CFP money will be given to the new SWC and everybody lives happily ever after.

HoustonCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    6 schools from CUSA West can leave CUSA with NCAA autobid intact in 2018.

Summer of 2017 is when this will all be decided as to who will go with them from the SBC. The new SWC will be formed. CUSA will cherry pick the remaining SBC schools with probably ULM being the only school left out. The SBC CFP money will be given to the new SWC and everybody lives happily ever after.
    If those 6 schools do leave, that would be:

LA Tech, UNT, Rice, USM, UTSA and UTEP. Actually, there could be 7 schools if UAB moves West. If UAB wants to stay East, Troy slips into the North Division.

Add to that Louisiana, Ark State, NM State, and USA for a 12 team conference.

Looking at a map, this divides perfectly in North and South Divisions:

SWC (Western - based conference)

North - Ark State, LA Tech, UAB/Troy, N. Texas, UTEP, NM State
    South - UTSA, Texas State, Rice, Louisiana, USM, USA

CUSA (Eastern - based conference) would then be:

North - Marshall, WKU, MTSU, ODU, Charlotte, App State
    South - FIU, FAU, GA State, GA Southern, Coastal, Troy/UAB

If the SWC goes to 12, I think you would see a West/East split with the Texas schools + NMSU being West and the rest in the East.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast