This is my biggest issue with the whole name thing. When people at our own university use the second L. I graduated in 07' and can say with honesty that I never remember my friend, people in Lafayette or others at the university using the second L. Maybe I just didn't notice it, but no instance comes to mind.
Now, some of our own student athletes use the second L. I recently saw a picture of a customized Cajun Microwave that had ULL Ragin Cajuns etched into the side of it and it was being used by a Cajun fan. That blows my mind. Maybe I'm too sensitive about it now, because it bugs the crap out of me when I see stuff like that.
The university can really only blame itself. I hope this LA abbreviation push has some weight behind it. Every time you see ULL on ESP-N, that's what people call you.
I tweeted at them, but check out their website. UL-Lafayette all over the place:
Was the "profane" trump locker room video stuff last use of ULL??? We are LA...... No not yet, ..... Starting ... Now!
1. I can't find it on Louisiana.edu. Somebody initially posted it, so I'm sure its there, but where and why is it not more prominent?
2. It is not on RaginCajuns.com. Shouldn't it be prominent on the athletic website as it is athletics related?
3. How was this sent out? Was it a news release, an email, etc.? Is there any follow-up with ESPN, Fox, CBS, ABC & NBC and the SBC, etc. and, if so, who is doing that? Anyone know their responses?
4. What is being done to further promote this?
5. Why did Buckley not do an article about this? This is a big deal for Louisiana. The Advertiser is part of the USA Today network and owned by Gannett. It would likely get picked up by all of the Gannet papers around the country as well as USA Today.
6. Still not seeing any impact on the Sun Belt Conference board. Yet, it refers to UALR as Little Rock. Is ULM still objecting to this within the SBC? I thought we had Bruno's OK that he would not fight it.
7. For Georgia, their website shows "the Louisiana game", yet Game Notes shows UL Lafayette, their coach references Louisiana Lafayette, and their schedule shows UL Lafayette. Since they are using "the Louisiana game" on their website, it appears a little effort on our part would get them to use Louisiana consistently, particularly on game day. Does anyone in the athletic dept. follow-up on these things?
VA Tech - Virginia Polytechnic University and State College - VT, not VPU
GA Tech - Georgia Institute of Technology - GT, not GIT
Fresno State - Cal State Fresno - FS, not CSF
Nevada - University of Nevada Reno - N, not UNR
LA Tech - known as LA Tech even when they were LA Polytechnic College/Institute