Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think showing your hand to the state is the biggest step. I also think that once the rest of the state is finished complaining, AP and ESPN are on board, and the fanbase (staff/players/students too) are all informed of our identity going forward, we can cement this change pretty painlessly.

This is a key component to the Alden Report and while it's going slower than we want, at least it's happening. And I said this when the Big 12 announced no expansion.. This could be the shot in the arm that we need. The delay gives us extra time to act. Maybe admin felt like to much had to be done in too little amount of time (like cramming for a final in 30 minutes).
    I don't see anything on the UL Athletic website regarding the name reference. Seems like they would want to publicize a news release on this. No change yet on ESPN website or AP.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I don't see anything on the UL Athletic website regarding the name reference. Seems like they would want to publicize a news release on this. No change yet on ESPN website or AP.
    http://www.louisiana.edu/node/148

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    That's good. But, why isn't it also on the Athletic Website? Also, was a press release sent out?

Blog Entries

That's good. But, why isn't it also on the Athletic Website? Also, was a press release sent out?
    Simple explanation, you have the same people that created the problem now executing the new policy.

This is the email that was sent out.

Subject: New Brand Standards For UL Lafayette athletics
    Date: Monday, November 7, 2016 8:32 AM

All,

Periodically, we review our brand standards at the University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette. After our most recent discussions with the President's Office and the Office of Communications and Marketing, it was decided to revise our Athletics first reference and abbreviation effective November 1st, with the commencement of the 2016-17 basketball season. This also affects all other sports teams, including fall 2016 sports, going forward from that date.

Below is the approved references to the University's athletic programs. We would appreciate that your news outlet support and comply with our efforts.

Official University Name - University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette
    Nickname - Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns
    First Reference - Louisiana
    Abbreviation - LA (to be used only for sports statistical uses that require abbreviated characters)

The academic institution will still be abbreviated as "UL Lafayette" and it will continue to not be referenced as ULL.

We appreciate your assistance.

--
    Matt Sullivan
    Sports Information Director | Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns | University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette |
    Cox Athletics Center | 201 Reinhardt Drive | Lafayette, LA 70506-4297

O - 337.482.6331 | M - 985.981.0009 | Twitter - @MattSulli123

#GEAUXCAJUNS

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post

Let's see how well this works...
    Correct me if I am wrong: Isn't this the FIRST time the actual ADMINISTRATION has released this type of "guidance" (i.e, that we be called "Louisiana")? I know the Daily Disapoointment started calling us "UL" several years ago and toher networks have sometimes reference "Louisiana," but I think this is the first time the ADMIN has requested this. Yes?
    Anyway, I just saw - I think it was either last week or the week prior - the LAST admin reference (i.e., "UL-L" ) in the ESPN Goal Line right hand column that provides updated scores. I think it was the FIRST time I actually saw the "current" "UL-L is the preferred reference" acronym on TV

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

Check the attached media guide on the Athletic Website. When they sent out the hard copy media guides it was on the first inside (page).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong: Isn't this the FIRST time the actual ADMINISTRATION has released this type of "guidance" (i.e, that we be called "Louisiana")? I know the Daily Disapoointment started calling us "UL" several years ago and toher networks have sometimes reference "Louisiana," but I think this is the first time the ADMIN has requested this. Yes?
    Anyway, I just saw - I think it was either last week or the week prior - the LAST admin reference (i.e., "UL-L" ) in the ESPN Goal Line right hand column that provides updated scores. I think it was the FIRST time I actually saw the "current" "UL-L is the preferred reference" acronym on TV
    UL-L" was an accidental off the cuff -one-time only- recommendation by this administration, that was retracted the next day but was pounced upon by national and Sun Belt media.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "UL-L" was an accidental off the cuff -one-time only- recommendation by this administration, that was retracted the next day but was pounced upon by national and Sun Belt media.
    The admission is so stupid that they didn't have something ready to go back then. All they have to do is use Ragin Pagin as their think tank and audit and this mess would never happen.

Does a new policy actually count as a new policy when nobody adheres to said policy?

Quote Originally Posted by bmverret View Post
    Does a new policy actually count as a new policy when nobody adheres to said policy?
    I have seen no such policy.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    I have seen no such policy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "UL-L" was an accidental off the cuff -one-time only- recommendation by this administration, that was retracted the next day but was pounced upon by national and Sun Belt media.
    It wasn't retracted the next day Turbine. Dr. Savoie was in California for a president conference when the announcement was made by the SBC. I don't know how many days exactly after it hit the newspaper.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

What did he replace it with? The memo said a two to four letter/symbol description we wanted to go by for NCAA purposes. It was used for a lot more, but the stupid hyphen was no accident.

Well Georgia Southern got the memo

And some media.

Quote Originally Posted by bmverret View Post
    And some media.
    Holy S***! He got an email from the school?? So, we are actually enforcing this? Awesome!

Chirping from southern Arkansas in 3...2...1...

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Chirping from southern Arkansas in 3...2...1...
    He's already been warned that we're doing this.

Thanks BV.. I was coming here to post that.

We're committed to this. It's legit and it's legal.

We've appropriated people to enforce it.

Finally.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast