Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 287

Thread: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Actually this is important. It will probably end up being the first shots fired in a statewide battle, but by the Univerosty officially having a stance, it shows that their confident in the name usage, the legality and the purpose behind it. As dumb as our admin can be, they're not dumb enough to misunderstand that this will come with scrutiny.

    I'm happy that this is coming before baseball season, when our team will be plastered all over the college baseball world.

    Key take away, "initial mention: Louisiana".
    We really need ESPN and the AP on board, other state schools and other media outlets in the state will be the last ones to call us this and you are right will fight back. We just have to figure out how to get the ESPNs and APs not to cave.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Actually this is important. It will probably end up being the first shots fired in a statewide battle, but by the Univerosty officially having a stance, it shows that their confident in the name usage, the legality and the purpose behind it. As dumb as our admin can be, they're not dumb enough to misunderstand that this will come with scrutiny.

    I'm happy that this is coming before baseball season, when our team will be plastered all over the college baseball world.

    Key take away, "initial mention: Louisiana".
    well said

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    We really need ESPN and the AP on board, other state schools and other media outlets in the state will be the last ones to call us this and you are right will fight back. We just have to figure out how to get the ESPNs and APs not to cave.
    I don't know for sure, but knowing the folks that they've been consulting with, I have to believe the AP and ESPN are being courted on this.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    As long as you are still in business good marketing is never too late, even when it is 16+ years in the making.

    "LA"

    Great Move!

    Necessary move!

    Clears up a ton of confusion.


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I don't know for sure, but knowing the folks that they've been consulting with, I have to believe the AP and ESPN are being courted on this.
    This will be huge if true, let's just hope they do not cave when the push back begins (because it will)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Both "Louisiana" and "LA" are nicknames nothing more and certainly nothing less.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    859

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I don't know for sure, but knowing the folks that they've been consulting with, I have to believe the AP and ESPN are being courted on this.
    I'm pumped! This is HUGE.

  8. #28
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,237

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    I will be pumped when our nutless president stands up to the conference and ULM. I am NOT holding my breath.


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,734

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    I guess im the fight song we say go L-A now


  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    I guess im the fight song we say go L-A now
    We'll have to ask Boomer but remember no-hyphens.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,274

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Finally, some good news! This is big-time


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    Finally, some good news! This is big-time
    Now we gotta pray Monroe doesn't decide to do the same thing

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Now we gotta pray Monroe doesn't decide to do the same thing
    let them do the same..... we already have TooLame, now uLAm-e can join them... lol

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Now we gotta pray Monroe doesn't decide to do the same thing
    We (fans and school) should focus more on what they have asked to be called.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,071

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Does this mean no more "Lou Lafay"?? Say it ain't so!


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    We (fans and school) should focus more on what they have asked to be called.
    I agree but maybe they chose ulm because they knew UL wouldn't fly and now that LA is ok they might do the same

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Opelousas, LA
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    Does this mean no more "Lou Lafay"?? Say it ain't so!
    As long as we continue to play like we did this weekend we will be "Lou Lafay". Remember the game this Thursday is on ESPNU. If we stink it up again, the insulting references will continue.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I agree but maybe they chose ulm because they knew UL wouldn't fly and now that LA is ok they might do the same
    oh well.... great point, but oh well... they chose warhawks because Indians "wouldn't fly" either, but then suddenly it was ok for some to still have "Indians" (or derivations), but they didn't change back. (but honestly I think warhkaws is cooler)

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Lol. This will go about as well as "We are branded as Louisiana. Louisiana-Lafayette or ULL is not acceptable".

    Expect more "UL-L and LA-Laf"


  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,071

    Default Re: LA - The new "official" abbreviation for stats, crawls, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    As long as we continue to play like we did this weekend we will be "Lou Lafay". Remember the game this Thursday is on ESPNU. If we stink it up again, the insulting references will continue.
    I would love to agree with that, but history has shown that win-lose-draw we will be referred to as everything BUT Louisiana. After 3 straight NOLA bowls we were still the Lafayette Leopards.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •