Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why don't more players from the Acadiana area get recruited?

Default Why don't more players from the Acadiana area get recruited?

The numbers might not bare it out, but the Acadiana area is experiencing one of the best ever years when it comes to wide receiver play.

Default Re: Why don't more players from the Acadiana area get recruited?

Cause they suck

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Because we are loaded with very good high school football players. We just do not have a whole lot of collegiate quality talent on the field.

IMO we have some kids that could thrive at FCS football. But FBS is on another level.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I would think that if these prospects are equal or better than who is recruited... the coaches would be recruiting them. I have no doubt that some area HS coaches have tried on behalf of local athletes to get UL to take a strong look at their athletes. If they weren't getting to our camps and making sure they impressed our coaches... I don't know what to say. Are they all academically qualified? Why wouldn't our coaches go after the best they think they can get from our own back yard?

I can say from personal relationships and past experiences, more than several Acadiana area coaches, and not in just football, hold contempt for our athletic program.

I don't know the source/cause of this, but unfortunately just the way it has been amongst many for about 15-20 years now.

It's because for so long all of the interest around here was LSU. UL was an after thought to these coaches, and because UL wasn't winning they wouldn't want to push their overhyped players to UL. In essence they thought they were better than UL. Now that we have (somewhat) turned it around, they expect the red carpet rolled out to them and their players like we are doing them a favor. We say thanks but they just aren't good enough they feel slighted like "how can UL say no to me"

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    It's because for so long all of the interest around here was LSU. UL was an after thought to these coaches, and because UL wasn't winning they wouldn't want to push their overhyped players to UL. In essence they thought they were better than UL. Now that we have (somewhat) turned it around, they expect the red carpet rolled out to them and their players like we are doing them a favor. We say thanks but they just aren't good enough they feel slighted like "how can UL say no to me"
    Could it be that for decades, area high school coaches encouraged their athletes to go elsewhere because they knew the disdain Martin Hall had for athletics and knew their athletes would get better quality and institutional support at other schools??

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Could it be that for decades, area high school coaches encouraged their athletes to go elsewhere because they knew the disdain Martin Hall had for athletics and knew their athletes would get better quality and institutional support at other schools??
    Meh, growing up here and playing ball here, it was always that "lil ole USL" attitude amongst all the coaches.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I think this is a factor. It may not be the biggest reason, but it is one of the reasons.

Blog Entries

But this article implies we are looking past local talent... not that local talent is looking past us. I know we've had historical issues with Acadiana area coaches... but Kevin is saying there's a load of local talent he thinks are good enough for UL. Kevin is talking like the HS coaches. "This kid may not be good enough for anyone else, but he's good enough for UL." All 50 states have access to every recruiting service and have information on every player. Our coaches better be getting the best we can get (for the system we run)... whether they're from Acadiana... or Australia.

I would venture to say that no great Louisiana football athlete... proving himself on the HS level... is unidentified by recruiting groups and the state/regional FBS universities. If Kevin thinks something odd is going on, he needs to investigate and explain it. Just saying "all the greats are right in our back yard... better than neighboring areas... and all of these ignorant scouts and college coaches are missing them" is pure conjecture. Give a reason why they're overlooked.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

So most of the locals we don't recruit aren't ending up at high G5 schools. No, they're mostly ending up at FCS schools.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    I think that describes something that is seldom brought up but probably happens a lot.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

They just aren't eligible or not talented enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So most of the locals we don't recruit aren't ending up at high G5 schools. No, they're mostly ending up at FCS schools.
    This article is foolishness. Is he really suggesting that there is some reservoir of local talent that we (and evidently every other school) has missed? In Louisiana. One of the most famously talent laden states. Come on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    This article is foolishness. Is he really suggesting that there is some reservoir of local talent that we (and evidently every other school) has missed. In Louisiana. One of the most famously talent laden states. Come on.
    Yes. Yes he is. He's been bitten by the "there's a local FBS talent explosion... and I may be the only one that noticed it" bug. It happens from time to time. Good stuff for the locals to consume. Not usually helpful to the local university coaching staff.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

---In the past maybe, but certainly not now---think about it in regards to our facilities (who has a bigger stadium, IPF, APC, and our basketball and soon to be baseball stadia)---our living quarters are damn good, the campus is beautiful, out crowds are usually bigger, our academic quality and athletic help is fabulous based upon performance, our food service and nutritional programs are very good (thank you T-Boy), our coaching salaries are damn good, and there is more to come in RCAF growth, we have gone bowling for the last 4 out of 5 years, we have done very well in other sports---so tired of all the negative and just no mention of what the hell we have here!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---In the past maybe, but certainly not now---think about it in regards to our facilities (who has a bigger stadium, IPF, APC, and our basketball and soon to be baseball stadia)---our living quarters are damn good, the campus is beautiful, out crowds are usually bigger, our academic quality and athletic help is fabulous based upon performance, our food service and nutritional programs are very good (thank you T-Boy), our coaching salaries are damn good, and there is more to come in RCAF growth, we have gone bowling for the last 4 out of 5 years, we have done very well in other sports---so tired of all the negative and just no mention of what the hell we have here!
    I get that Boomer, and certainly hope the perception is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Yes. Yes he is. He's been bitten by the "there's a local FBS talent explosion... and I may be the only one that noticed it" bug. It happens from time to time. Good stuff for the locals to consume. Not usually helpful to the local university coaching staff.
    Last i checked no louisiana hs football team was in the top 50 nationally this season..... Doesnt necessarily speak to individual skills,but teams used to have a shot at that poll in the past. So i would assume this is a down time

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    Last i checked no louisiana hs football team was in the top 50 nationally this season..... Doesnt necessarily speak to individual skills,but teams used to have a shot at that poll in the past. So i would assume this is a down time
    It really speaks more about the quality of High School coaching in the state than about the quality of athletes.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Ditto that Boomer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast