Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Coaches Salaries......

  1. #21
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Mr Miserable---sorry you didn't enjoy --if you were there, I don't know, but if you were and didn't enjoy ---well whatever!!!
    Boomer, he didn't say that he did not enjoy it....what express stated is also true as what you stated is true...

  2. #22
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,597

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Boomer, he didn't say that he did not enjoy it....what express stated is also true as what you stated is true...

    I can tell how much he enjoyed it from his positive post of the 5 things he takes from the events---Can't believe all the posts on here about Hud's salary when Tulane was in the process of getting him for a higher amount and the same posters were coming down on Farmer for maybe losing him

    -he got T-Joe to up the amount to keep him and didn't see people upset at that happening!!!


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Can't believe all the posts on here about Hud's salary when Tulane was in the process of getting him for a higher amount and the same posters were coming down on Farmer for maybe losing him

    -he got T-Joe to up the amount to keep him and didn't see people upset at that happening!!!

    He definitely earned it.

    Now he needs to keep it.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    The past is the past.. Ul will never have that easy a path again in the WORST conference in USA and a AD that feels the need to schedule several AZZ beatings a year in which we dont stand a chance to win. All of the sudden we are in ULM territory without the mythical SEC win like they had. Boomer wake up.
    All Boomer was saying is that the reason he is paid that much is because of his immediate success. He took us to a place we have never been and put us on the map. We paid him and he stayed. We were all happy. Now, looking back, of course the details and the whole ACT debacle was unknown and two bad seasons, knowing all that now it's easy to say we over paid. But at the time, no one was complaining. His pay gives him a much shorter leash and I agree 100% with that, we should be seeing better results. The problem is not how much we pay our coach, the problem is the contract in my opinion.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Breaux Bridge
    Posts
    3,899

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicky Rustle View Post
    The most over paid person in the US.
    No that would be Farmer.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    4,724
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    All Boomer was saying is that the reason he is paid that much is because of his immediate success. He took us to a place we have never been and put us on the map. We paid him and he stayed. We were all happy. Now, looking back, of course the details and the whole ACT debacle was unknown and two bad seasons, knowing all that now it's easy to say we over paid. But at the time, no one was complaining. His pay gives him a much shorter leash and I agree 100% with that, we should be seeing better results. The problem is not how much we pay our coach, the problem is the contract in my opinion.
    I can agree with your argument. The contract was crafted by Scott Farmer correct?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I can agree with your argument. The contract was crafted by Scott Farmer correct?
    Well technically it was crafted by lawyers but Farmer and TJoe signed and approved it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I can agree with your argument. The contract was crafted by Scott Farmer correct?
    No that contract was likely drawn up by Hud's agent, and Farmer put on his big boy pants and made sure to tell T-Joe it was a good idea. And now we have...this.

  9. #29
    TheFan's Avatar
    TheFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,379

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    All Boomer was saying is that the reason he is paid that much is because of his immediate success. He took us to a place we have never been and put us on the map. We paid him and he stayed. We were all happy. Now, looking back, of course the details and the whole ACT debacle was unknown and two bad seasons, knowing all that now it's easy to say we over paid. But at the time, no one was complaining. His pay gives him a much shorter leash and I agree 100% with that, we should be seeing better results. The problem is not how much we pay our coach, the problem is the contract in my opinion.
    Yep... Farmer got taken to the woodshed.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,972

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Kinda funny how not one person said it was a horrible deal when it happened.

    I suppose the only logical answer is to limit our coaches salaries to like ~$250,000. This is surely the best path to success at the D1 level.


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    A school simply must have a cheaper buyout than the full cost of the contract. To be on the hook for the full amount is ridiculous. The coach always has a cheaper cost to get out of the contract. To not have it in there for the school shows how inept the administration is.


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Kinda funny how not one person said it was a horrible deal when it happened.

    I suppose the only logical answer is to limit our coaches salaries to like ~$250,000. This is surely the best path to success at the D1 level.
    Because it wasn't. It was back pay.

    For it to truly be a good deal, then with increased salary the buyout should go down, not up.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Kinda funny how not one person said it was a horrible deal when it happened.

    I suppose the only logical answer is to limit our coaches salaries to like ~$250,000. This is surely the best path to success at the D1 level.
    noone is saying we shouldn't pay our coach, I just hope whoever our next coach is we do not get in spot where we can't afford to buy out his contract.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    I can tell how much he enjoyed it from his positive post of the 5 things he takes from the events---Can't believe all the posts on here about Hud's salary when Tulane was in the process of getting him for a higher amount and the same posters were coming down on Farmer for maybe losing him

    -he got T-Joe to up the amount to keep him and didn't see people upset at that happening!!!

    Hindsight is always 20/20. But it is a bad contract. Yes fans overreacted in a positive nature when we went to 4 bowls in 4 years. As did Tjoke and IdiotFarmer. But Tjoke and idiot farmer were more worried about losing Hud to a P5 program than they were worried about the downside. That is on them for not weighing the full costs of the contract. Jimmy Sexton did horrible things to Tjoke and IdiotFarmer, and all of them would be considered illegal in all 53 states according to Obummer.

    That contract is on Tjoke and idiotFarmer - period end of sentence. Hud is WAY OVERPAID. At the time it seemed like the prudent thing to do, but they left UL's backside exposed. SO no, we would not change the feelings and emotions felt during the bowl wins, but sadly they no longer count. And when it's time to face facts and deal with contracts, facts are all that matter. And a transparent AD in negotiations would have stated to the fans and public if we lost Hud that things were close, but the contract if Hud faltered would have crippled this program, like it is now.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,458

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Things don't always have to be either/or.
    Sometimes, both can be true.

    Did Hudspeth deserve a raise? Based on accomplishment, yes he did.
    Does he deserve criticism for underperforming that raise? Based on record and a mult-faceted set of examples, yes he does.

    Was it a bad contract? That's debatable. At present state, the value is not there. Even if we return to 4 straight NOLA Bowls, is that worth a million dollars a year?

    An argument can be made that a million bucks a year should get you better than finishing out of the top spot in the sports weakest conference, absolutely anhilated by any team in the top 50 at least 2-3 times a year, and a two hour drive to play in a lower tier bowl game. To be clear, it was wonderful and the experience will stay with fans forever, but those successes should be building blocks, not end goals.


  16. #36
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    I can tell how much he enjoyed it from his positive post of the 5 things he takes from the events---Can't believe all the posts on here about Hud's salary when Tulane was in the process of getting him for a higher amount and the same posters were coming down on Farmer for maybe losing him

    -he got T-Joe to up the amount to keep him and didn't see people upset at that happening!!!

    I disagreed with the length of the contract.....

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ventura, California
    Posts
    3,796

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Things don't always have to be either/or.
    Sometimes, both can be true.

    Did Hudspeth deserve a raise? Based on accomplishment, yes he did.
    Does he deserve criticism for underperforming that raise? Based on record and a mult-faceted set of examples, yes he does.

    Was it a bad contract? That's debatable. At present state, the value is not there. Even if we return to 4 straight NOLA Bowls, is that worth a million dollars a year?

    An argument can be made that a million bucks a year should get you better than finishing out of the top spot in the sports weakest conference, absolutely anhilated by any team in the top 50 at least 2-3 times a year, and a two hour drive to play in a lower tier bowl game. To be clear, it was wonderful and the experience will stay with fans forever, but those successes should be building blocks, not end goals.
    Seems a catch 22, we need to show conferences we are spending more, but spending more doesnt always get you more? Hmmm i woukd wager some of the 70 or so million being spent by some p5 coukd probably get the same result with less than 50, but they are trying to price us out

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by FSF View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20. But it is a bad contract. Yes fans overreacted in a positive nature when we went to 4 bowls in 4 years.
    Your hindsight isn't 20/20

    There is no such thing as overreacting when trying to secure success. Especially when it involves 4 straight bowl victories after a 40 year appearance drought.

    If anyone is guilty of anything it is our combined inability to foretell that money would make Hudspeth extremely conservative.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Kinda funny how not one person said it was a horrible deal when it happened.

    I suppose the only logical answer is to limit our coaches salaries to like ~$250,000. This is surely the best path to success at the D1 level.
    ^This. You're making too much sense Reb. Stop it.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Coaches Salaries......

    You're right it's more like 20/10 !!!

    There is when you don't account for the possible downside to a situation. Would you clean out you bank acct and go play the World Series of poker just because you beat all your neighbors in the weekly game? No because you account for the possible downside.

    I don't think the million per year made Hud conservative, I think it made him lazy and narcissistic. Again, I don't fault Hud for getting his paper, or anyone else for that matter (Brock Oswieler 😊 ), but I fault the powers that be that only account for the positives and forget that negatives in every contract should be accounted for. I hope Tjoke learned the cliché that if you thinks it's expensive to hire a professional, hire an amateur and find out. Because that's what we have w idiotFarmer.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •