_ _ _ _

Thread: Softball Fall Ball

Default Softball Fall Ball

Anyone have any news on the fall ball schedule for softball? I was looking at the LSU-E schedule and saw that they play the Cajuns on 10/22. I know that we lost a lot of homeruns and RBI's last year to graduation. We have Hayden and Craighton coming back who both have a little pop in their bats. We also picked up a transfer (Chavez) who also has some pop. Other than that, I don't know what was on the bench last year or what we have with the freshman class that can help offensively. It would also be nice if we could develop a couple more serviceable pitchers to help Stewart and Trahan in the circle.

Default Re: Softball Fall Ball

D. J. hit 17 home runs. I would call that "pop". She'll be a junior. Also, the Cajuns will have 10 pitchers on their roster.

You are right. No explanation as to how/why I left DJ off the list. We need to have a couple of those 10 pitchers really step up this year.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SportyCajun459 View Post
    Anyone have any news on the fall ball schedule for softball? I was looking at the LSU-E schedule and saw that they play the Cajuns on 10/22. I know that we lost a lot of homeruns and RBI's last year to graduation. We have Hayden and Craighton coming back who both have a little pop in their bats. We also picked up a transfer (Chavez) who also has some pop. Other than that, I don't know what was on the bench last year or what we have with the freshman class that can help offensively. It would also be nice if we could develop a couple more serviceable pitchers to help Stewart and Trahan in the circle.
    Don't forget DJ Sanders who had 18HRs last year and Kara Gremellion who hit .331 and played a great third base. I expect you'll see Brittany Nollkamper at catcher after playing while Lexie was injured, and Daniella Chavez at first. You have Creighton and Kelli Martinez who played regularly last year in the outfield and I'd expect Beth Ashley to see plenty of playing time who has shown to have plenty of power from high school and practice. We have a number of power hitters that didn't play last year as we had load of experience back so fall practices would seem to be the proving ground on who will fill the holes. One true freshmen who also showed lots of pop and plenty of offers was Kara Gremillion's sister Kourtney and may have an opportunity to play as a freshman.

On the mound in addition to Stewart and KJT you have Victoria Brown, Macey Smith, and Alison Deville back. I think Summer Ellyson would be first up out of last years freshman class as a pitcher. We currently show nine pitchers on the roster so fall ball practices should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Don't forget DJ Sanders who had 18HRs last year and Kara Gremellion who hit .331 and played a great third base. I expect you'll see Brittany Nollkamper at catcher after playing while Lexie was injured, and Daniella Chavez at first. You have Creighton and Kelli Martinez who played regularly last year in the outfield and I'd expect Beth Ashley to see plenty of playing time who has shown to have plenty of power from high school and practice. We have a number of power hitters that didn't play last year as we had load of experience back so fall practices would seem to be the proving ground on who will fill the holes. One true freshmen who also showed lots of pop and plenty of offers was Kara Gremillion's sister Kourtney and may have an opportunity to play as a freshman.

On the mound in addition to Stewart and KJT you have Victoria Brown, Macey Smith, and Alison Deville back. I think Summer Ellyson would be first up out of last years freshman class as a pitcher. We currently show nine pitchers on the roster so fall ball practices should be interesting.
    Not sure about Nollkamper. I think we might see a lot of Grotenhuis.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    "One true freshmen who also showed lots of pop and plenty of offers was Kara Gremillion's sister Kourtney and may have an opportunity to play as a freshman."
    East MVP of the LHSAA All Star game and is a very good player. Who else offered her besides the Cajuns? I was under the impression that she always had blinders for the Cajun program and was not entertaining offers from any other program. The one thing that I am disappointed about is that Mike was not able to rope in the Hemphill kid from STM. Her bat would have been an extremely nice compliment in the line-up to Hayden, Craighton and Sanders.

Also, as asked by Sporty, anyone have any idea as to when the fall ball schedule might be made known?

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Not sure about Nollkamper. I think we might see a lot of Grotenhuis.
    Nollkamper gets my vote. She is a slick defensive catcher, and though she struggled at the plate last year, she has previously been very effective offensively. I might DH with Grotenhuis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Nollkamper gets my vote. She is a slick defensive catcher, and though she struggled at the plate last year, she has previously been very effective offensively. I might DH with Grotenhuis.
    Teams were running on her at will.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Nollkamper gets my vote. She is a slick defensive catcher, and though she struggled at the plate last year, she has previously been very effective offensively.
    She was a true freshman last year who was redshirting until Elkins got hurt. What are you basing your comment on about her previous offensive effectiveness? High school or travel ball?

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    East MVP of the LHSAA All Star game and is a very good player. Who else offered her besides the Cajuns? I was under the impression that she always had blinders for the Cajun program and was not entertaining offers from any other program. The one thing that I am disappointed about is that Mike was not able to rope in the Hemphill kid from STM. Her bat would have been an extremely nice compliment in the line-up to Hayden, Craighton and Sanders.

Also, as asked by Sporty, anyone have any idea as to when the fall ball schedule might be made known?
    Pretty sure LSU offered.