Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: More Fossil Censorship

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: More Fossil Censorship

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    Why do ppl even bother giving red dots? Damn, I'll do it to some of the trolls every blue moon. But why can't we all just get along? ____, ppl having an opinion is ok!!! Find something better to do with your time.

Now, green dots every once in a while is nice to give!
    I prefer no one but trolls get red dots. It signals they're a troll. Cajun fans should talk to each other openly, and not stab each other in the back with red dots.

As for "name calling", I don't like the concept of policing this. I don't believe people should threaten each other with bodily harm... but "name calling"? I like to see everyone express themselves in whatever way they want. It's a way of getting to know the individual and their style. I absolutely DO NOT like censorship. All things have a way of working themselves out on their own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I prefer no one but trolls get red dots. It signals they're a troll. Cajun fans should talk to each other openly, and not stab each other in the back with red dots.

As for "name calling", I don't like the concept of policing this. I don't believe people should threaten each other with bodily harm... but "name calling"? I like to see everyone express themselves in whatever way they want. It's a way of getting to know the individual and their style. I absolutely DO NOT like censorship. All things have a way of working themselves out on their own.
    For the record I have yet to delete any post calling me a name.

I just don't acknowledge them and try to find the bigger point of their post.

However some name calling rides on the edge of slander and I try err on the side of caution.

That does not to imply or mean that I am accurate in every case.

Civility and censorship should not be confused. I feel that name calling should only be done if you are either putting your name behind it or saying it to someone's face. The forum rules are the rules and Turbine is right, we all agree to those rules upon signing up. It is nice to go to a forum where people can be civil to one another and exercise proper behavior. With that being said, I've seen worse interactions with posters than what he was censored for and if you are going to do it, you need to be consistent with your policy.

Blog Entries

I would love turbine to institute a policy or issuance of red dots. From now on anyone giving one has the caveat of their name being attached. Even Though i'm against censorship I do tend to follow bankruptcy mans feelings. This is turbine's board and he does have a right to make whatever rules he deems needed. I do agree there has to be limits but basic words of exclamation such bastard, ___ etc are not that bad. But as I mentioned earlier, I do not own this board.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMarineBBK View Post
    My family is from Sulphur. My Grandmother taught at WW Lewis for 30 plus years.
    How long ago did your grandmother teach and what was her name? I attended WW Lewis a long, long time ago.

Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I would love turbine to institute a policy or issuance of red dots. From now on anyone giving one has the caveat of their name being attached. Even Though i'm against censorship I do tend to follow bankruptcy mans feelings. This is turbine's board and he does have a right to make whatever rules he deems needed. I do agree there has to be limits but basic words of exclamation such bastard, ___ etc are not that bad. But as I mentioned earlier, I do not own this board.
    I think you are right in that people would think twice about red dotting someone if their name was attached, my fear is it would lead to more direct confrontation and an escalation of emotions when they would occur.

So the post I messaged MaT about (that ultimately started this thread) was not edited.

The word he used was not deleted.

I didn't red dot him

I didn't censor him.

I didn't threaten him.

I didn't "or else" him.

I included my name.

I used "Please: in my request.

AND I STILL got a direct confrontation

I think I'm clear when I say I don't know exactly how to handle every situation.

But I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Civility and censorship should not be confused. I feel that name calling should only be done if you are either putting your name behind it or saying it to someone's face. The forum rules are the rules and Turbine is right, we all agree to those rules upon signing up. It is nice to go to a forum where people can be civil to one another and exercise proper behavior. With that being said, I've seen worse interactions with posters than what he was censored for and if you are going to do it, you need to be consistent with your policy.
    See, you are a great example. I disagree with a lot of what you post, but we've never swapped personal insults. But this is not the point.

I posted people's pictures with sarcastic captions under them, including calling for them to be fired and insults. I fully expected to be reprimanded. Never a word.

The moment I mention Authement, I get a warning. The truth is, there are certain people or topics that I can not broach; because if I do, the "right" people will complain and my posts are manipulated, the threads are closed, the threads are moved, whatever the case may be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think you are right in that people would think twice about red dotting someone if their name was attached, my fear is it would lead to more direct confrontation and an escalation of emotions when they would occur.

So the post I messaged MaT about (that ultimately started this thread) was not edited.

I didn't red dot him

I didn't censor him.

I didn't threaten him.

I didn't "or else" him.

I included my name.

I think I'm clear when I say I don't know exactly how to handle every situation.

But I'll keep trying.
    Turbine. How everyone gets 1 free red dot pass but after the 2nd a name gets attached. I think that will assist in vetting the people who mean well from the troublemakers. That will stop people from being repeatedly abused for no reason. I understand turb. This is a constant work in progress. Thanks for what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    How long ago did your grandmother teach and what was her name? I attended WW Lewis a long, long time ago.

Doc
    Technically, Doc, I attended W.W. Lewis a long, long time ago. I think the timing of your tenure there is best measured in Epochs! Or Millenia!

This thread is really 4 pages already. Come on people, really? #smh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    "Not True"
    So I may suffer from selective amnesia, thanks for sending me the message the way you did.

Blog Entries

see what i mean. Some brave soul just red dotted me. Ridiculous.

Subscribed Threads with New Posts: (0)
    There are no subscribed threads to display in this folder for this time period.
    View all Subscribed Threads
    Latest Reputation Received (564 point(s) total)
    September 13th, 2016 09:00 am
    Thread: More Fossil Censorship
    if someone want to make a comment that is too long to explain their red dot, then it doesnt seem like there is any more space available to put the name, or if the spacing never runs out it would look weird to have so much type until it is out of spac
    September 11th, 2016 08:23 am

Blog Entries

I didn't red dot him

I didn't censor him.

I didn't threaten him.

I didn't "or else" him.

I included my name.

But I'll keep trying.
    Turbine, the redot function should require a name attached. If a person wants to comment, why not address that person in a particular thread? Most redots are insults anyway, so in that manner you are allowing people to anonymously insult others. That contradicts your goal of civility on this board. Most people don't use their real names to post, so the direct confrontation is no different if that person was posting his or her comments in a thread. JMO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Turbine. How everyone gets 1 free red dot pass but after the 2nd a name gets attached. I think that will assist in vetting the people who mean well from the troublemakers. That will stop people from being repeatedly abused for no reason. I understand turb. This is a constant work in progress. Thanks for what you do.
    Thanks for the idea.

Already only one thumb up/down for is allowed per post. If the setting is working properly you are blocked from double dotting someone.

If someone gets multiple dots from the same post, they came from different individuals.

Also blocked is the ability to red dot someone back to back even if in different posts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Turbine, the redot function should require a name attached. If a person wants to comment, why not address that person in a particular thread? Most redots are insults anyway, so in that manner you are allowing people to anonymously insult others. That contradicts your goal of civility on this board. Most people don't use their real names to post, so the direct confrontation is no different if that person was posting his or her comments in a thread. JMO
    I appreciate that thought. Worth considering.

All I know is...this Cajunhawk guy...is an _______.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    All I know is...this Cajunhawk guy...is an _______.
    This is a universal truth: Hawk makes MAT look like Mr. Rodgers.

Blog Entries

I appreciate that thought. Worth considering.
    It's a function that has always existed on the Sun Belt Board, while it has caused confrontation at times it usually comes down to two individuals that have had a history of going after each other. All the moderators can see those comments and the board rules still apply to civility and language in the comments as well. You can still police it if the board allows that function. In our daily lives anonymous comments are allowed to improve the workplace environment and address concerns without reprisal. Anonymous insults do nothing but make this board more toxic and allow individuals that are incapable of expressing their ideas or debating their disagreement to cowardly insult others without any accountability. JMO

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

As long as red dotters remain anonymous the dots should never be apart of your board rep..

Frankly Turbine, I don't care if my name has a series of red dots, or a long list of green dots. My self esteem is not in anyway tied to dots. What I post is not in anyway tied to dots.

I will say this though, I am receiving many red dots now that it has become such a public thing, and not a name to the bunch. At this rate I expect my green dot rep to be replaced by the red dotters sometimes about the time FarmerBROWN fires Marlin for failure to attempt to schedule all Division 1A basketball teams.

Pretty much every other board I've seen attaches the name of the person giving positive or negative rep.

Anonymous negative rep kinda encourages stealthy keyboard commandoism....in my opinion. However, it does give some people the ability to feel empowered who might not otherwise be able to hold their own in a discussion on the merits....

Kinda like a reverse trigger warning or a retro-active safe space...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast