Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Production Equipment Idea

fanof71 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Production Equipment Idea

Just an idea, haven't had time to research who's and what's of it all.
    Has anyone on here dealt with procuring grant $

Here's the idea:

Get the Communications Department on board with an agreement that says the production equipment/truck is a learning lab. The department can lease the truck/equipment to Athletics for game broadcasts. Communications Dept sets up a 5013C account to make all grant donation tax deductible as that's normally the way the money gets donated. If the university has a grant writing office, that would be a big help. But I think the kicker is getting the Communications Department behind it, utilizing the equipment/truck as a learning lab, and allowing athletics to lease. Lease could be for $1 per event with Sr. and Grad level students handling the production. You could also include electrical engineers and that department in this as well as so much of what goes on with a remote broadcast is engineering driven.

Does UL have an office dedicated to writing grants?

Default Re: Production Equipment Idea

Savoie DOES NOT WANT to do this. That's the beginning and be end of the discussion.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Or we could change directions and RCAF could raise the money

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Or we could change directions and RCAF could raise the money
    We know from Arkstfan, that the stAte prez rearranged their long range plans after their Big-12 verbal exam. I'm guessing it was to address this production issue.

We can begin a push for this now, but I don't think you'll see any movement towards this until the Tigue is near completion. This is the price we have to pay for demanding a new baseball stadium.

This was my argument from the beginning of the Master Plan. We had it backwards. It shouldn't have been based on who or what deserved to happen first. It should have been what NEEDED to happen first.

In the big picture of collegiate athletics, the Football stadium renovation and issues such as Production should already be done.

There is no way this has not been discussed. A communications dept that would not be interested in communicating a game? MAT has to be right. No way this has not been thought of before.

The University utilizes (I think) three assessed fees:
    1. Board assessed fees (for)
    Academic Enhancement
    Academic Excellence

2. University assessed fees (for)
    Auxiliary Operations
    -Provides ancillary student support for Auxiliary services which include the Student Union,
    transit system, operations, recreational sports/activities, the health clinic, and other student
    related services.

3. Student assessed fees (for)
    Masterplan Advancement Program
    Student Technology Fee
    -Provides funding to enhance student-accessible technology on campus

These are some of the fees which I'd spitball could be maybe used for the purchase of capital equipment using academic dollars for eventual athletic purposes, i.e. production equipment.

I'm trying to find how these are broken down by credit hour.
    https://bursar.louisiana.edu/node/80

The University offers a degree in "Moving Image Arts" in the Department of English
    http://english.louisiana.edu/undergr...ing-image-arts
    I'm guessing prospective students learn production here.

The University also offers a degree Sports Management in the School of Kinesiology.
    http://kinesiology.louisiana.edu/pro...rts-management

Finally, the University offers an MBA.
    http://business.louisiana.edu/progra...ms/mba-program

This is Strategic Recommendation #6 from the Alden Report:
    VI. Develop a formalize Internship Program to include marketing,
    development, game operations, and ticketing.

Fanof71, I think the elements might be there.

Serious question, why would we want this? 4 mil seems like a lot of money for something we currently get for free.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Serious question, why would we want this? 4 mil seems like a lot of money for something we currently get for free.
    Because it's free exposure with your own production crew. We could sell our games to whoever we please as long ESPN can air the same product. It's not just for football. We could air basketball, baseball and any sport we please. It is tangly makes us more valuable to other conferences since they know we can air every home game and every road game within reasonable distance.

Also "free" is exactly right. We make next to nothing through our TV/Media rights right now. Let's just say that we get $25k per football game from the Yes Network. It will make us way more than it cost us.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Read the Alden report

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Because it's free exposure with your own production crew. We could sell our games to whoever we please as long ESPN can air the same product. It's not just for football. We could air basketball, baseball and any sport we please. It is tangly makes us more valuable to other conferences since they know we can air every home game and every road game within reasonable distance.

Also "free" is exactly right. We make next to nothing through our TV/Media rights right now. Let's just say that we get $25k per football game from the Yes Network. It will make us way more than it cost us.
    All of that and we score a huge victory in the name battle by controlling our brand that gets out on the airwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    All of that and we score a huge victory in the name battle by controlling our brand that gets out on the airwaves.
    Absolutely. We could secure the Cox TV deal that Fott Farmer screwed up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

Is that really worth 4mil? ESPN already broadcast our games. Why would Yes network pay us? Are there that many degenerate gamblers up north? And wouldn't all that equipment be obsolete in a few years. Sure we could all get our jollies seeing some crew call us Louisiana for 4 hours, but it would change nothing nationally. I'd rather see us spend that money on a SBC exit fee.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Is that really worth 4mil? ESPN already broadcast our games. Why would Yes network pay us? Are there that many degenerate gamblers up north? And wouldn't all that equipment be obsolete in a few years. Sure we could all get our jollies seeing some crew call us Louisiana for 4 hours, but it would change nothing nationally. I'd rather see us spend that money on a SBC exit fee.
    read the Alden report.

Sorry, I will not. I have never heard of this man/firm until this summer and I am not sure why I should have to read his report. I have worked for many companies who pay overpriced consultants to tell them what's wrong. The company institutes a few things they were going to do anyway and then ignores the rest of the report. Sound familiar?
    Anyway, our goal is to get out of this conference and I do not see how spending 4mil on some soon to be obsolete equipment will get us there.

fanof71 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    The University utilizes (I think) three assessed fees:
    1. Board assessed fees (for)
    Academic Enhancement
    Academic Excellence

2. University assessed fees (for)
    Auxiliary Operations
    -Provides ancillary student support for Auxiliary services which include the Student Union,
    transit system, operations, recreational sports/activities, the health clinic, and other student
    related services.

3. Student assessed fees (for)
    Masterplan Advancement Program
    Student Technology Fee
    -Provides funding to enhance student-accessible technology on campus

These are some of the fees which I'd spitball could be maybe used for the purchase of capital equipment using academic dollars for eventual athletic purposes, i.e. production equipment.

I'm trying to find how these are broken down by credit hour.
    https://bursar.louisiana.edu/node/80

The University offers a degree in "Moving Image Arts" in the Department of English
    http://english.louisiana.edu/undergr...ing-image-arts
    I'm guessing prospective students learn production here.

The University also offers a degree Sports Management in the School of Kinesiology.
    http://kinesiology.louisiana.edu/pro...rts-management

Finally, the University offers an MBA.
    http://business.louisiana.edu/progra...ms/mba-program

This is Strategic Recommendation #6 from the Alden Report:
    VI. Develop a formalize Internship Program to include marketing,
    development, game operations, and ticketing.

Fanof71, I think the elements might be there.
    I just think there's a way to pay for this by going after grant$...

Well then why ask a question that you already have a preconceived notion that it's worthless? Our own production equipment would be the single greatest asset to the athletic department since Farmer has been here. That includes bowl games. Having the ability to get your "LOUISIANA" brand into, let's say CST's footprint is immeasurable. That's a 17 state 60+ million 2.5 hour commercial every week. You can't get that for $4M anywhere.

Because I wanted to see if I was missing something. I agree More exposure is usually a good thing, although Texas may disagree with you. The name angle is probably moot because of ESPN and state laws.
    I just think 4mil is a ton of money and I do not see how a kid in Nola or Houston is going to think more highly of our program because we have our own broadcast crew when playing Georgia St. I would spend the money on a new AD and conference.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sorry, I will not. I have never heard of this man/firm until this summer and I am not sure why I should have to read his report. I have worked for many companies who pay overpriced consultants to tell them what's wrong. The company institutes a few things they were going to do anyway and then ignores the rest of the report. Sound familiar?
    Anyway, our goal is to get out of this conference and I do not see how spending 4mil on some soon to be obsolete equipment will get us there.
    You sound just like Scott Farmer! Imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You sound just like Scott Farmer! Imagine that!
    I doubt Farmer agrees with me about having him fired and trying to get in a better conference.

Because I wanted to see if I was missing something. I agree More exposure is usually a good thing, although Texas may disagree with you. The name angle is probably moot because of ESPN and state laws.
    I just think 4mil is a ton of money and I do not see how a kid in Nola or Houston is going to think more highly of our program because we have our own broadcast crew when playing Georgia St. I would spend the money on a new AD and conference.
    MC, there are no state laws associated with calling ourselves Louisiana...none whatsoever.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast