Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 283

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Todd Berry as our new defensive coord.
    I would be all for that!

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, La
    Posts
    3,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Todd Berry as our new defensive coord.
    Executive Director of American Football Coach's Association

  3. Ragin' Cajuns Ragin' Cajuns Announce Football Staff Changes



    Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns head coach Mark Hudspeth announced Sunday afternoon that defensive coordinator Melvin Smith has been relieved of his duties effective immediately. Hudspeth added that linebackers coach Mike Lucas will serve as defensive coordinator for the remainder of the season.


  4. Default UL fires d-coordinator Smith early in second season

    Former Southeastern Louisiana head coach Mike Lucas will serve as UL's DC for the rest of the season



  5. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    Don't know how many have ever been on staffs

    things get really crazy at times from yelling blow outs to punches etc---Been on about half a dozen in HS and college and tell you at times it is not a fun thing, but that is what happens when the people who do it are nuts---It is also why so many exes from the profession do so well in other lines of employment---you have guys with an incredible work ethic with huge egos, and they all want to do it their way---and that presents itself with options by the head dude as to what he thinks will be the best remedy to the situation--and in this case it was termination of the DC---Sure hope it works out!!!

    While I agree our defense needed some shaking up weather it was to fire Smith or change the scheme it doesn't change how god awful our offense was. I thought our play calling was horrible. O Line looked like deer in head lights. No imagination on play calling and we could not move the ball....We looked very un prepared and often times confused. Who do we fire for that?

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    I would be all for that!
    He always had decent defenses at ULM.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Yep!


  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Yeah Boom. I appreciate the insight. No one really knows what happened. It could have been a big fight or it could have been Hud simply calling in Melvin to his office to tell him that unfortunately things weren't working out. Who knows. Hud comes off as a perfectionist with alot of passion. It's evident in the way he carries himself. I view that as a good thing. Some people don't though. Those people would call Hud a micromanager perhaps. I still believe in him and I'm just not ready to write him off at this point.

    Here's to righting the ship!


  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Of course we are not the most talented bunch. We are in the Sun Belt and have to compete with that other team across the basin. But we have enough talent to compete and win the conference. And obviously we have the talent to beat teams from other conferences in bowl games.
    Melvin Smith didn't work out. He was horrible at Auburn, which is why he was fired from there. Hud took him in and it just didn't work out. His scheme and the way he prepared the players was blatantly awful. I'm just glad Hud has the balls to make a change like that right now.

    I still think we can win 7 or 8 games in our schedule (if the defense improves)
    I've spent this entire thread assuming you were being a smart___. But you're serious, aren't you?

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    Don't know how many have ever been on staffs

    things get really crazy at times from yelling blow outs to punches etc---Been on about half a dozen in HS and college and tell you at times it is not a fun thing, but that is what happens when the people who do it are nuts---It is also why so many exes from the profession do so well in other lines of employment---you have guys with an incredible work ethic with huge egos, and they all want to do it their way---and that presents itself with options by the head dude as to what he thinks will be the best remedy to the situation--and in this case it was termination of the DC---Sure hope it works out!!!

    If firing this man was an option today, it should have been done in fall camp. He didn't become unfit over night. This is ridiculous timing.

  11. #131
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,723

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Yeah Boom. I appreciate the insight. No one really knows what happened. It could have been a big fight or it could have been Hud simply calling in Melvin to his office to tell him that unfortunately things weren't working out. Who knows. Hud comes off as a perfectionist with alot of passion. It's evident in the way he carries himself. I view that as a good thing. Some people don't though. Those people would call Hud a micromanager perhaps. I still believe in him and I'm just not ready to write him off at this point.

    Here's to righting the ship!

    "NO one really knows what happened"---end of story for now---you hit it on the head!!Could have been Hud/Smith---Def Staff/Smith---players/Smith---Like you, I hope the good ship Cajun turns it around!!!


  12. #132
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I've spent this entire thread assuming you were being a smart___. But you're serious, aren't you?
    I surely am MAT.
    I too felt like the sky was falling while we were getting beat down by Boise.
    But there are still 11 games on the schedule and only Georgia will by as tough as Boise.
    Call me an optimist I guess.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,367

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    How many times has an FBS coordinator been fired after week one??? Something seriously wrong with this well beyond the issues on the field Saturday.
    I want to say Texas did a year or two ago. If not them, another P5 school of equal caliber.

  14. #134
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    While I agree our defense needed some shaking up weather it was to fire Smith or change the scheme it doesn't change how god awful our offense was. I thought our play calling was horrible. O Line looked like deer in head lights. No imagination on play calling and we could not move the ball....We looked very un prepared and often times confused. Who do we fire for that?
    Dang it! Mxt3999 had me believing Melvin was our problem! I forgot about the other side of the ball. Dang it! Are you saying perhaps our whole coaching situation is a clown show?
    Dang it! Hud needs to tighten up. I sure hope he doesn't think I mean he needs to hit the gym... some more.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    "NO one really knows what happened"---end of story for now---you hit it on the head!!Could have been Hud/Smith---Def Staff/Smith---players/Smith---Like you, I hope the good ship Cajun turns it around!!!

    I know what happened.. We looked like 11 floppy kocks out on defense for 4 hours. Nothing else matters.

  16. #136
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Melvin Smith name has already been removed from the football staff listings...


  17. #137
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Dang it! Mxt3999 had me believing Melvin was our problem! I forgot about the other side of the ball. Dang it! Are you saying perhaps our whole coaching situation is a clown show?
    Dang it! Hud needs to tighten up. I sure hope he doesn't mean I think he needs to hit the gym... some more.
    Gee willickers fellas, chin up, won't ya? Sheesh! Hud will save us from these bad assistants! Gee golly, we just need to all give more money and be patient!

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,911

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    Melvin Smith name has already been removed from the football staff listings...
    I want someone in the local media to exit interview him.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,367

    Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Have to admit, what you witnessed must have a connection with what happened today. I've heard about a few flare ups between them last season to not totally surprising.

    I worry about the effect it could have on the players. Hope they handle this situation well.
    What can a new DC accomplish 5 days before a game?

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Calm down now bream. It's called patience and optimism. Try it sometime, it feels great.
    I'm not a total "sunshine pumper" though. I'm a realist. I know it didn't look good on either side of the ball Saturday. Just not ready to give up on Hud at this point. He's shown us far too much success.
    If we don't win 6 games this year, I'll re-assess the situation.
    We should not engage one another in conversation. It would only end badly.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •