Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I had hoped the best for us with Melvin... but I would rather we take in solid coordinators from smaller programs, that show off coaching skills with even less talent than we recruit. It's stupid for people to believe a coordinator from a P5 (successful or not) can translate well at a school with a lesser talent slate. But like you said... Melvin struggled at Auburn.
    This.
    I guess I would rather see some young and hungry coordinators on their way up.
    I want to see some passion.

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    This.
    I guess I would rather see some young and hungry coordinators on their way up.
    I want to see some passion.
    Start with Hud. That's where we need the passion.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Start with Hud. That's where we need the passion.
    Haha come on Hawk. Stop it man. Hud is not as bad as you think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I had hoped the best for us with Melvin... but I would rather we take in solid coordinators from smaller programs, that show off coaching skills with even less talent than we recruit. It's stupid for people to believe a coordinator from a P5 (successful or not) can translate well at a school with a lesser talent slate. But like you said... Melvin struggled at Auburn.
    We need to find a young DC who can recruit Nola and the river parishes.

Haha come on Hawk. Stop it man. Hud is not as bad as you think he is.
    And he isn't as good as you think he is. When the defense isn't fixed...who will you blame? Lucas?

Hud is not throwing away this season. Smith getting fired shows that. I just wish he would've done it after the end of last season

Finally a couple of guys who agree with me! Sheesh. The negativity was so strong. I was expecting a different reaction. Guess people really liked Melvin?

Let's turn this season around and start by pounding McNeese this Saturday. We have four teams on the schedule that are beatable before we get App St at home. We can correct our problems and improve drastically by then.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    We need to find a young DC who can recruit Nola and the river parishes.
    Huge cooridoor of talent that is within reach of UL. You're right.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    It doesn't take balls to blame someone for your mistakes. The opposite actually.

Don't know how many have ever been on staffs

things get really crazy at times from yelling blow outs to punches etc---Been on about half a dozen in HS and college and tell you at times it is not a fun thing, but that is what happens when the people who do it are nuts---It is also why so many exes from the profession do so well in other lines of employment---you have guys with an incredible work ethic with huge egos, and they all want to do it their way---and that presents itself with options by the head dude as to what he thinks will be the best remedy to the situation--and in this case it was termination of the DC---Sure hope it works out!!!

Todd Berry as our new defensive coord.

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    I would be all for that!

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Executive Director of American Football Coach's Association

13. Ragin' Cajuns Ragin' Cajuns Announce Football Staff Changes

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns head coach Mark Hudspeth announced Sunday afternoon that defensive coordinator Melvin Smith has been relieved of his duties effective immediately. Hudspeth added that linebackers coach Mike Lucas will serve as defensive coordinator for the remainder of the season.

14. Default UL fires d-coordinator Smith early in second season

Former Southeastern Louisiana head coach Mike Lucas will serve as UL's DC for the rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

things get really crazy at times from yelling blow outs to punches etc---Been on about half a dozen in HS and college and tell you at times it is not a fun thing, but that is what happens when the people who do it are nuts---It is also why so many exes from the profession do so well in other lines of employment---you have guys with an incredible work ethic with huge egos, and they all want to do it their way---and that presents itself with options by the head dude as to what he thinks will be the best remedy to the situation--and in this case it was termination of the DC---Sure hope it works out!!!

While I agree our defense needed some shaking up weather it was to fire Smith or change the scheme it doesn't change how god awful our offense was. I thought our play calling was horrible. O Line looked like deer in head lights. No imagination on play calling and we could not move the ball....We looked very un prepared and often times confused. Who do we fire for that?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    I would be all for that!
    He always had decent defenses at ULM.

Yep!

Yeah Boom. I appreciate the insight. No one really knows what happened. It could have been a big fight or it could have been Hud simply calling in Melvin to his office to tell him that unfortunately things weren't working out. Who knows. Hud comes off as a perfectionist with alot of passion. It's evident in the way he carries himself. I view that as a good thing. Some people don't though. Those people would call Hud a micromanager perhaps. I still believe in him and I'm just not ready to write him off at this point.

Here's to righting the ship!

Of course we are not the most talented bunch. We are in the Sun Belt and have to compete with that other team across the basin. But we have enough talent to compete and win the conference. And obviously we have the talent to beat teams from other conferences in bowl games.
    Melvin Smith didn't work out. He was horrible at Auburn, which is why he was fired from there. Hud took him in and it just didn't work out. His scheme and the way he prepared the players was blatantly awful. I'm just glad Hud has the balls to make a change like that right now.

I still think we can win 7 or 8 games in our schedule (if the defense improves)
    I've spent this entire thread assuming you were being a smartazz. But you're serious, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

If firing this man was an option today, it should have been done in fall camp. He didn't become unfit over night. This is ridiculous timing.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast