Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: DC: Melvin Smith Fired

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DC Melvin Smith Fired

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    HUD knows his number is coming if we go 4-8 again. He needs to get out of the OC business and let him run the offense. I defended Hud last year, but after Saturday it's clear who has been calling the plays all along.
    I could care less who Hud blames. I know who I blame for that coaching clown show yesterday.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Yall are too hard on Hud. Sound like some damn LSU Tiger fans. Hud is and will remain one of the best things to ever happen to this football program.
    Melvin Smith SUCKED at defensive coordinator (see his last year at Auburn).
    Hud does the right thing and makes a change immediately and yall jump all over him. You have to be kidding me guys.
    Hud is righting the ship. Shiite is about to change around here for the better.
    Cheer up guys
    Are you going to double fist that holiday cheer if he fires the entire staff? He hired Melvin and turned our defense over to him. Why is Hud to be complimented for firing him. It's a zero sum move.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Are you going to double fist that holiday cheer if he fires the entire staff? He hired Melvin and turned our defense over to him. Why is Hud to be complimented for firing him. It's a zero sum move.
    It didn't work out man. That's all that can be said. Hud is making it right early on, so that we don't have another repeat of last season.

Guys,

Bear Bryant could be our HC and we wouldn't compete with Boise. What you are seeing has been the result of the deck being slowly stacked against us. We are being out recruited and are not able to attract athletes that would allow us to compete. We are in a state that is over saturated with D1 programs and we are rounding out the bottom of the barrel. The last 7 years has been great, but the ship is correcting course. Just wait for baseball season, and don't get your hopes up.

It didn't work out man. That's all that can be said. Hud is making it right early on, so that we don't have another repeat of last season.
    3 straight DC's fired. It ain't the DC's.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan64 View Post
    Guys,

Bear Bryant could be our HC and we wouldn't compete with Boise. What you are seeing has been the result of the deck being slowly stacked against us. We are being out recruited and are not able to attract athletes that would allow us to compete. We are in a state that is over saturated with D1 programs and we are rounding out the bottom of the barrel. The last 7 years has been great, but the ship is correcting course. Just wait for baseball season, and don't get your hopes up.
    That's a cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    3 straight DC's fired. It ain't the DC's.
    Hawk come on man. We were pretty got damn good before Melvin Smith got here last season. Our defense has looked terrible since. It's ultimately on the head coach, I get that of course. But Hud is being proactive and is fixing the problem right now, before the season gets away from us. It's going to get better

Hawk come on man. We were pretty got damn good before Melvin Smith got here last season. Our defense has looked terrible since. It's ultimately on the head coach, I get that of course. But Hud is being proactive and is fixing the problem right now, before the season gets away from us. It's going to get better
    Our defense has been awful since Greg Stewart. It will not get better. Hud is the problem.

Blog Entries

Guys,

I didn't see a Boise State team that was more athletic or had more speed than UL. What I did see is a program that is well coached and recruits to it's system. We have enough talent to win in the Belt, it's their job to get it done on the football field.

Our defense has been awful since Greg Stewart. It will not get better. Hud is the problem.
    The 3-3-5 worked ok the few games that darzil washington was able to play. Outside of having a legit dedicated rush lb that scheme sucks balls.

The DC's have been terrible. Just because we went through a few has no bearing on if they were good. It means Hud cannot hire a good DC if it bit him on the azzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    The DC's have been terrible. Just because we went through a few has no bearing on if they were good. It means Hud cannot hire a good DC if it bit him on the azzzz.
    The common theme is that the schemes have been almost identical with all 5 of them minus the half season of the 4-2-5.
    The Nevada bowl game that season was the best performance yet for a hud defense

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Or...Hud is forcing them to run a system that will not work. These are all guys who worked well elsewhere and continue to do so. The only constant is Hud.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerPokeCenter View Post
    I'm not sure about for the majority of your season, but this can't be anything but good for your defense this week, as Lucas knows us as well as anybody.

Your previous DC might not have given us his full attention, but I'm confident Lucas will. He's got some old scores to settle and as I recall, he didn't like us much...
    Fair enough. I'm good with it.

So what type of defensive scheme did Lucas run during his time at SLU and NW State?

Or...Hud is forcing them to run a system that will not work. These are all guys who worked well elsewhere and continue to do so. The only constant is Hud.
    Hawk, take the tin foil hat off for a second dude. Like I said, Hud is fixing the problem as we speak. He should be applauded for doing so. He could keep his friend Melvin on the staff and go 4-8 again, but he didn't. He fired his friend right away. Coordinators come and go all throughout college football, it's not just us.
    Hud is a perfectionist and he expects the best. He is perhaps the sole reason why we have enjoyed so much success in recent years.
    In Hud we trust!
    Give him some credit for recognizing a problem and trying to correct it immediately.

I'm not going to comment whether it was a good move or not, but I can't imagine there's a ton of defensive coordinators around the nation wanting to come throw their resumes for a chance to be the next DC fired under Hud.

Guys,

Best post here. I am at a loss when I see people here talk about our talent. Where is it? Is Hud sending more or less players to the NFL than is predecessors? I can only speak to Nola talent, but we are not doing well here. In fact I would guess we do worse than all D1A programs not named ULM. Our recruiting has been terrible the past few years.
    I am torn on firing the DC. On one hand it is obvious his scheme blows. I have no idea if he has the players he wants, but it is obvious his players make coverage mistakes and are frequently out of position. On the other hand Hud looks like a buffoon firing DC's all the time. Just a sad state of affairs.

Hawk, take the tin foil hat off for a second dude. Like I said, Hud is fixing the problem as we speak. He should be applauded for doing so. He could keep his friend Melvin on the staff and go 4-8 again, but he didn't. He fired his friend right away. Coordinators come and go all throughout college football, it's not just us.
    Hud is a perfectionist and he expects the best. He is perhaps the sole reason why we have enjoyed so much success in recent years.
    In Hud we trust!
    Give him some credit for recognizing a problem and trying to correct it immediately.
    Hud is the problem. He said so in an interview a week ago.

Does he coach from the box or on the sidelines? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if nobody saw him on the sidelines, he WAS NOT a part of Saturday's game. The odd 5hit that I saw at my tailgate leads me to believe that the falling out happened pregame'ish

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    Does he coach from the box or on the sidelines? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if nobody saw him on the sidelines, he WAS NOT a part of Saturday's game. The odd 5hit that I saw at my tailgate leads me to believe that the falling out happened pregame'ish
    If he was the problem with the defense, and he was drunk and sent home...then why did the defense do so bad?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast