Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22
Results 421 to 432 of 432

Thread: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

  1. #421
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    But, they looked good in the scrimmages and practice...
    That's always been the case. Our own system playing itself gives our coaches a false sense of preparedness.

  2. #422
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,093

    UL Football Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    That's always been the case. Our own system playing itself gives our coaches a false sense of preparedness.
    Exactly the reason I never put any credence in spring games.

  3. #423
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    People were ready to make Hud the mayor. Now suddenly you'd think he knows nothing about football, and obviously less about football than the experts on here. It's comical.
    You clearly left out the timeline and events in order to make it funny for yourself. If you study the details there's pure justification for the initial assessments, the yearly assessments, and the current assessments... by the core forum fans.

  4. #424
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted here (life has been a little hectic) but I wanted to put my $.02 in. There's been a few of us here that have been quite critical of Hud for the past 3 years now (yes that includes his last good year) and it came to fruition on Saturday. I think we realized early on that he had reached his ceiling. For me it was the 3 game stretch in '14 when we get beatdown by Tech at home, then on the road at Ole Miss, then on the road at Boise. To me, that was by far the most talented team on both sides of the ball we've had in a while. I expected to at least be in the game for 2/3 of those. That's when my thoughts about Hud changed. Same vanilla play calling, same prevent defense meant that his potential to keep growing as a head coach came to a halt. That was what we were going to have for however long his tenure would be.

    I'm not surprised at all in what we saw on Saturday. I went to the game in hopes that maybe, just maybe, something in the offseason changed with him. I left mid second quarter, earliest I've ever done, and I'm not ashamed. I ignorantly hoped for a difference but, stupidly, was wrong.

    So what's the difference from first 3 years to last 3 years? How can a Cinderella story fall off so much in such a short time? I don't think there's one solid answer. Bustle's kids, better coordinators moved on, poor recruiting evaluation, who knows. What I DO know is that the fans and University have provided everything within means to help improve the athletic program to where it is today. And to Hud's credit, those improvements NEVER would've happened without his tenacity and spunk that he brought in those first 3 years. So for where the University is today, I give all my thanks to Mark for what he has helped grow.

    But the flood waters are rising, and it won't be long before the waters reach that ceiling and it's a total loss.
    Good post 337. I'm at a loss as well. I don't know why Hud plateaued so quickly, given that he gave the program momentum it was missing. How have we not advanced... but instead regressed under Hud? Did he get too comfortable with all of the adjulation? Is his football skill set more limited than we first believed?

    I'm hoping Hud got lazy and complacent, and he will recommit himself. My fear is that he's not a jock with an advanced football mind and/or a wise manager of other men with advanced football minds. I fear he's a jock with a load of energy and desire. And his idea of recommitment is to pound harder on the staff marker board.

    Hopefully... for at least this upcoming game... pounding on the staff marker board will "do it". I sure hope so. No "problems" will be solved... but I just don't want our new Hud "bottom" to include a loss to McNeese.

  5. #425
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,093

    UL Football Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Good post 337. I'm at a loss as well. I don't know why Hud plateaued so quickly, given that he gave the program momentum it was missing. How have we not advanced... but instead regressed under Hud? Did he get too comfortable with all of the adjulation? Is his football skill set more limited than we first believed?

    I'm hoping Hud got lazy and complacent, and he will recommit himself. My fear is that he's not a jock with an advanced football mind and/or a wise manager of other men with advanced football minds. I fear he's a jock with a load of energy and desire. And his idea of recommitment is to pound harder on the staff marker board.

    Hopefully... for at least this upcoming game... pounding on the staff marker board will "do it". I sure hope so. No "problems" will be solved... but I just don't want our new Hud "bottom" to include a loss to McNeese.
    Hud had better assistants, and more NFL players his first year than any year he's been here, and the NFL numbers have been declining. That is it in a nutshell.

  6. #426
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Hud had better assistants, and more NFL players his first year than any year he's been here, and the NFL numbers have been declining. That is it in a nutshell.
    Ok. But why? I'm pretty sure I can point to the regression results. I just can't point to the cause. The cause is between Hud's ears... but what is that cause? And can he fix it before we have to do surgery?

  7. #427
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,093

    UL Football Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    He had six players who either played in or playing in the NFL, he had Baer who bailed him out twice in the NOLA bowl and regular season, and he had better coaches his first year. I mean it's been going backwards ever since, a little at first to an all out collapse last year. This year may be worse. Honestly I cannot point to a single game that IS a guaranteed win in my W and L column.

    Some here are still giving him too much credit for some great talent that he did not recruit. He did get three great guys in Ringo, Harris, and Hamilton. The Prophet is all that is left. He simply is not that good a coach we were victims of fools gold.


  8. #428
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,262
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    How many d backs did Bustle send to the league? I don't see any Dez or Fenroy type players out there now. Our O lines could block under Bustle also, not seeing that at all now.
    He had his share but benefitted from the same thing Hud is being accused of.

    Tillman and Taylor were Baldwin boys.

  9. #429
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Good post 337. I'm at a loss as well. I don't know why Hud plateaued so quickly, given that he gave the program momentum it was missing. How have we not advanced... but instead regressed under Hud? Did he get too comfortable with all of the adjulation? Is his football skill set more limited than we first believed?

    I'm hoping Hud got lazy and complacent, and he will recommit himself. My fear is that he's not a jock with an advanced football mind and/or a wise manager of other men with advanced football minds. I fear he's a jock with a load of energy and desire. And his idea of recommitment is to pound harder on the staff marker board.

    Hopefully... for at least this upcoming game... pounding on the staff marker board will "do it". I sure hope so. No "problems" will be solved... but I just don't want our new Hud "bottom" to include a loss to McNeese.
    He plateaued because he is a micromanager coming from a world where he did everything including driving the bus. He obviously cannot scale his operation and vision in the FBS world, or hire the right people.

  10. #430
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redgineer View Post
    He plateaued because he is a micromanager coming from a world where he did everything including driving the bus. He obviously cannot scale his operation and vision in the FBS world, or hire the right people.
    We'll give him time to figure it out. But he better get some advice and fast... unless he's ok with our 2011 season being the pinnacle of his coaching career.

  11. #431
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Bridge
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Can someone explain to me how McGuire was used with another running back in his first 2 years and the last 2 seasons we have become a one backfield offense? How hard is to key on 1 player for the opponents?


  12. #432
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Can someone explain to me how McGuire was used with another running back in his first 2 years and the last 2 seasons we have become a one backfield offense? How hard is to key on 1 player for the opponents?
    If Zo were still around, we still would. The single back backfield provides some other sets that can be hugely effective. Without criticizing down to our athletes... Hud, Munoz and Dez need to have a serious conversation with our receivers. The offense we run absolutely requires our receivers do some blocking. I'm not sure they were told that for Boise. But if we continue this offense, those WRs are going to have to learn how to block, and actually drive people out of their shoes.

  13. #433
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,723

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    Was Nixon the only player on the field Saturday that gave his teammates a high five, Boomer? Our point is that no one is knocking Nixon here, saying he's not a "team" player. But, there are literally thousands and thousands of team players around the country... almost none of whom are extolled for giving a high five to teammates when walking off the field.
    It wasn't a high 5 and he went out of his way to give what looked like a go get em tap---again getting pulled out under those circumstances would have ticked many off, but his attitude is what I am referring to---Team!!!

  14. #434
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I cant go there, Bustle was king of fundamentals' but brought no passion to the players overall performance.

    Hudspeth took fundamentally sound teams and motivated them to unexpected heights.

    Today, Hudspeth teams are struggling with fundamentals, and no amount of motivation will help a team lacking in that department.

    History has shown it takes both.

    jmo
    I think this is a good assessment of things.

  15. #435
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,336

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    That's always been the case. Our own system playing itself gives our coaches a false sense of preparedness.
    It was sarcasm.

  16. #436
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    If Zo were still around, we still would. The single back backfield provides some other sets that can be hugely effective. Without criticizing down to our athletes... Hud, Munoz and Dez need to have a serious conversation with our receivers. The offense we run absolutely requires our receivers do some blocking. I'm not sure they were told that for Boise. But if we continue this offense, those WRs are going to have to learn how to block, and actually drive people out of their shoes.
    On that note, Boise's wrs did an outstanding job of blocking on the outside. It made our wrs lack of blocking more obvious

  17. #437
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    It was sarcasm.
    You didn't think I knew that? I was piling on. I've been saying it for years... even pre-Hud. We are notoriously confident going into game 1 every season... because our defense is ill-prepared... and our offense thinks it is prepared, because they play opposite an ill-prepared defense.

  18. #438
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,336

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    You didn't think I knew that? I was piling on. I've been saying it for years... even pre-Hud. We are notoriously confident going into game 1 every season... because our defense is ill-prepared... and our offense thinks it is prepared, because they play opposite an ill-prepared defense.
    Well, I'm never sure. Especially when CC and some of the others have argued with me ad nauseum about the prospective talent of that group.

  19. #439
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by RedCajun View Post
    On that note, Boise's wrs did an outstanding job of blocking on the outside. It made our wrs lack of blocking more obvious
    No doubt about it. Coaching. It made me very disappointed in Munoz and Dez... to be quite honest. This week better involve WRs learning how to ram a defender's chest into his backbone. I've never seen such lost and wimpy attempts at blocking. I know you'd rather catch the ball... but for God's sake... help your DAMN team! Do what you're assigned to do! Who makes football players these days? Does every one of them have to be begged to be a bull?

    The single worst aspect from our offense was the atrocious WR blocking. And it was obvious it was paramount to our plays. You don't have to knock the guys jock strap off. Our WRs 75% of the time failed to make contact when in blocking assignments. We didn't even get a penalty out of any of them for holding or anything. They decided they didn't like the duty... and blew it off. What coaching staff puts up with that?

  20. #440
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,723

    Default Re: In-Game Thread: Louisiana vs. Boise State

    Quote Originally Posted by RedCajun View Post
    On that note, Boise's wrs did an outstanding job of blocking on the outside. It made our wrs lack of blocking more obvious
    ---Correct---the differentiation was quite evident and I think that possibly the quickness of the ball to the flat (not sure)---also when McG is anywhere on the field the defense is aware of it and prepositions accordingly!!! been out of it too long but splitting our TEs out (excluding Ladarius Green) does not put a real threat to the opponents secondary with their athleticism!!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •