Thread: RCAF Holds First-Ever Student-Athlete Thank-A-Thon

1. Ragin' Cajuns RCAF Holds First-Ever Student-Athlete Thank-A-Thon

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns student-athletes from all 16 Division I programs took time out of their schedules last week, expressing their thanks to supporters of the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) during the first ever RCAF Student-Athlete Thank-A-Thon.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: RCAF Holds First-Ever Student-Athlete Thank-A-Thon

This is so very cool---great job by all involved!!!

on the card I received the student-athlete wrote that they are from Louisiana Lafayette...

also what does "took time out of their schedules" mean? isn't it summer, no school & no practice, right?

my work blocks the my rcaf website. lol, no I don't work for Scott Farmer or T-joe, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    on the card I received the student-athlete wrote that they are from Louisiana Lafayette...

also what does "took time out of their schedules" mean? isn't it summer, no school & no practice, right?
    1- There is definitely summer school.

2- Some student athletes work during the summer to make some money since holding a job during practice and season can be almost impossible.

3- Just because "official" practice can't be held doesn't mean these athletes don't have off-season training programs that take up several hours of their time each day. Whether or not all those athletes follow the programs and show up to campus in shape could be a different story, but yes, should be a couple to several hours of training pretty much each day.

I received a phone call last week from Simeon Thomas last week. Very surprised to get the phone call.

I got a phone call too. I was out and they left a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    1- There is definitely summer school.

2- Some student athletes work during the summer to make some money since holding a job during practice and season can be almost impossible.

3- Just because "official" practice can't be held doesn't mean these athletes don't have off-season training programs that take up several hours of their time each day. Whether or not all those athletes follow the programs and show up to campus in shape could be a different story, but yes, should be a couple to several hours of training pretty much each day.
    agreed! thanks... I thought summer school was over, but they could have written the notes weeks ago.... as far as the training, I didn't think it could be "scheduled" per se, wouldn't a schedule cause it to fall into the "mandatory" category, and a "coach" might happen to be there and illegally instruct or coach them?

P.S. I agree holding a job is impossible, but isn't it also against NCAA regs?
    P.P.S. dumb question -- if I am on a summer training program, but not in summer school, am I allowed to live in Lafayette at university expense as part of my scholarship?

Guys, this is a great personal touch. I'm glad the university is trying new things to get in touch with the fans. However, my skepticism says that this is the UL athletic department trying to put the smoke in front of the fans, so that we forget their ineptitude and cheer their new "involvement". I guess when it comes to UL, I'm now a cynic.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    agreed! thanks... I thought summer school was over, but they could have written the notes weeks ago.... as far as the training, I didn't think it could be "scheduled" per se, wouldn't a schedule cause it to fall into the "mandatory" category, and a "coach" might happen to be there and illegally instruct or coach them?

P.P.S. dumb question -- if I am on a summer training program, but not in summer school, am I allowed to live in Lafayette at university expense as part of my scholarship?
    1- There's also very short, summer classes between the larger summer session, if I remember correctly. Like a quick 3 week deal.

2- A coach can't physically force you to train at certain times each day during summer, but there are summer/winter break programs athletes are given so base conditioning is established when real practice starts. Trust me, no all athletes follow it, but they should. They are their teams are better if they don't show up to the first practice out of shape because they sat on their ___ all summer.

3- You can definitely hold a summer job. You can even work, closely monitored, during the school year if you can manage it time-wise.

4- I don't believe so. Therefore, you carry out your training program on your own time wherever you are during break.

thanks much cajunrunner!!!! a little clearer now

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

[QUOTE=31Ragin97;927555]agreed! thanks... I thought summer school was over, but they could have written the notes weeks ago.... as far as the training, I didn't think it could be "scheduled" per se, wouldn't a schedule cause it to fall into the "mandatory" category, and a "coach" might happen to be there and illegally instruct or coach them?

P.P.S. dumb question

Summer school ended last week. As far as training goes, don't confuse this with practice led by coaches. That is either not allowed or severely limited in the summer. The "training" generally involves conditioning drills led by the "strength" coach. Team members do work on some aspects of their game during the summer. QB's and receivers probably do lots of passing work during this time while basketball players participate in lots of pickup games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_in_NM View Post
    Guys, this is a great personal touch. I'm glad the university is trying new things to get in touch with the fans. However, my skepticism says that this is the UL athletic department trying to put the smoke in front of the fans, so that we forget their ineptitude and cheer their new "involvement". I guess when it comes to UL, I'm now a cynic.
    I totally thinks it's a cover, but still nice.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

It is a nice gesture that the Administration can do at NO cost; but it is of practically no value, either. I seriously doubt that one new dollar is raised by this campaign; but the Administration can now pretend that they care about the rank and file season ticket holder.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I've said for years (and passed on to the sports admin with no response) that I thought recognition for long term contribution to a sport was a cheap way to keep your fans feeling appreciated. My beef was when I checked with the season ticket renewal group at the Cox building (about 10 years ago) I asked how many years they showed me having season tickets. I was discussing it with my wife the night before and we couldn't remember whether it was 1980 or 1981. I was told they didn't know that year it was as they didn't keep that information. My email commented on this and that a cheap way to recognize those ticket purchasers without costing anything would be every 5 years or so add a handwritten or hand signed letter in their renewal thanking them on an "anniversary" year for being a long term fan. No money, no gifts, just a thank you. Needless to say I never heard back.

The followup to that rambling comment was this is another cheap way to let RCAF members that they are appreciated for their contributions, and makes it personal by having the athletes themselves do the calling. I very much enjoyed hearing from Alex Stewart.