_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 79

Thread: BIG 12 leaning towards

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    Posts
    889

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    More on what to look for in College Football realignment
    54 6 y2016m07d30
    A pair of Cougars - BYU and Houston - will be the next two teams to join the Big 12
    A pair of Cougars - BYU and Houston - will be the next two teams to join the Big 12
    www.wikipedia.org
    You can't find an educated follower anywhere who believes for one second that even if/when the Big 12 conference expands, that will be the end of college football's expansion and realignment. This is a process that keeps on giving us stories to follow and get worked up about.

    So what's going to happen, short term AND long term? An educated guess:

    For the 2018 season, the Big 12 will add a pair of Cougars: BYU and Houston.

    BYU is ready made for expansion. They have a rabid fan base that fills a 65,000 seat stadium, a national following, and already play a big time schedule. Houston is getting a hefty push from the politicians and it seems important for the conference to take hold of the nation's fourth largest TV market. These are easy choices.

    The rest of the candidates will get a couple of seasons to beef up their resumes for the next round…because there is always going to be a next round. Each has flaws that kept them out of the expanding Big 12 the first time around, so now they'll get time to address those. It will end up with Colorado State and Cincinnati having the right "2020 vision" to make the Big 12 a 14-team league by 2020.

    The conference under the most pressure after that will be the Pac 12. They will have fewer teams than every other Power Five conference, and far fewer worthy candidates to choose from. If they are smart – and they are – Larry Scott and the Pac 12 will first have some quiet conversations with both Boise State and San Diego State about the work those schools need to do to greatly improve on the academic side. If the needed transformations can take place by then, in 2020 the Pac 12 will add everyone's favorite underdog in the Broncos as well as a sleeping giant in the Aztecs. Both divisions will get one more team. Makes perfect sense.

    What happens after that? Who will be the first conference to go to 16 teams (not counting the old Western Athletic Conference, circa 1996)?

    Will the Pac 12 add two more still? Who? If the handwriting on the wall is clear enough for the current Group of Five schools to see, then they should boast their resumes in every way possible as to not be left behind.

    We will ultimately get to 80 teams: Five 16 team conferences. This will be great news for schools like New Mexico, Central Florida, Memphis, and UConn. It could happen as much for basketball as for football at that point because you can't play every team in the conference every year in football anyway. Basketball powers like the Lobos and Huskies will finally get their due.

    College football (and basketball) expansion will be going on well into the next decade.


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    15,194

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    80 haves, 50 have nots.


  3. #43
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    It doesn't work like that...you don't recruit fun belt players to play in the big 12...you start recruiting big 12 players to play in the big 12....none of it matters because we have noshot, but this is an often misunderstood concept. You would take your lumps early but eventually you start getting those P5 level players across the board.
    ---But that is the thing that goes to the favor of UL---We already have the facilities or are very close to the best of any of these schools, we are also about tops in attendance, we have (other than the ACT deal) good academic/Athletic ratings, we are nearing tier 1 and didn't drop like LTUR in other classifications---and yes I agree that the selling is not there (or ever has been except on a brief run in the past to grow the affiliation)---remember that we went Div I and that the rest of the state didn't---thought we to be in pretty good shape then

    I remember Stoke saying that we would never play McNeese again at their house)---OUR ENDOWMENT TAINT too bad to some although not even in the same class as others vying!!!


  4. #44
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,846

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    What's our goal Boomer.....where's the vision and leadership ahtletically?


  5. #45
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    What's our goal Boomer.....where's the vision and leadership ahtletically?

    -I would sure hope Big12---But I really think ( REALLY ) that every school in Louisiana would be against it---that they would try to influence their reps and do everything possible to prevent it---oh and yes I could be wrong, but I really think that to be the case

    If we can keep growing our enrollment in both undergrad and grad, we will keep getting more to the general fund based upon enrollment numbers and the formula of distribution---Same old Same old---LSU pushing us down and the rest trying to pull us down

    This is why I hate all the rest of the state schools !!!


  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    We don't need anybody to push or pull us down. We can accomplish all of our goals right where we are!


  7. #47
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    -I would sure hope Big12---But I really think ( REALLY ) that every school in Louisiana would be against it---that they would try to influence their reps and do everything possible to prevent it---oh and yes I could be wrong, but I really think that to be the case

    If we can keep growing our enrollment in both undergrad and grad, we will keep getting more to the general fund based upon enrollment numbers and the formula of distribution---Same old Same old---LSU pushing us down and the rest trying to pull us down

    This is why I hate all the rest of the state schools !!!

    It won't matter Boomer.....he doesn't give us all the money we are entitled too in Athletics anyway.

  8. #48
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    -I would sure hope Big12---But I really think ( REALLY ) that every school in Louisiana would be against it---that they would try to influence their reps and do everything possible to prevent it---oh and yes I could be wrong, but I really think that to be the case

    If we can keep growing our enrollment in both undergrad and grad, we will keep getting more to the general fund based upon enrollment numbers and the formula of distribution---Same old Same old---LSU pushing us down and the rest trying to pull us down

    This is why I hate all the rest of the state schools !!!

    Total narcissism. All our problems lie at our own meek feet. You really need to grow up and quit fearing the boggie man.

  9. #49
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Total narcissism. All our problems lie at our own meek feet. You really need to grow up and quit fearing the boggie man.
    ---And that is why we are by law the University of Louisiana and must always add Lafayette

    No fear, but aware of the truth

    history records the moments of this display by schools!


  10. #50
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,030

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    No doubt the judge found a way to justify the verdict he was handing out regardless. We didn't appeal.

    Boomer 90% of our issues are self imposed. It's okay to be aware of some injustice. To focus on those is narcistic. When 90% of our problems are McNesse and others in the ULS we will all know we're doing our business.

    Like Robe, like Loteif, like Hud say. Let's focus on us. We can't do a damed thing about them.


  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,921
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    No doubt the judge found a way to justify the verdict he was handing out regardless. We didn't appeal.

    Boomer 90% of our issues are self imposed. It's okay to be aware of some injustice. To focus on those is narcistic. When 90% of our problems are McNesse and others in the ULS we will all know we're doing our business.

    Like Robe, like Loteif, like Hud say. Let's focus on us. We can't do a damed thing about them.
    No law says you can drive 54 in a 55, was his logic given against the name change.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    No law says you can drive 54 in a 55, was his logic given against the name change.
    Apparently there is a different definition of logic in legal studies..

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,921
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    Apparently there is a different definition of logic in legal studies..
    Yes, his logic played hopscotch in 1984

  14. #54
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,008

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    -I would sure hope Big12---But I really think ( REALLY ) that every school in Louisiana would be against it---that they would try to influence their reps and do everything possible to prevent it---oh and yes I could be wrong, but I really think that to be the case

    If we can keep growing our enrollment in both undergrad and grad, we will keep getting more to the general fund based upon enrollment numbers and the formula of distribution---Same old Same old---LSU pushing us down and the rest trying to pull us down

    This is why I hate all the rest of the state schools !!!

    Keep living in the past.....our problems TODAY are 95% self made. Quit blaming others that you have no control over anyway.

    ---But that is the thing that goes to the favor of UL---We already have the facilities or are very close to the best of any of these schools, we are also about tops in attendance, we have (other than the ACT deal) good academic/Athletic ratings, we are nearing tier 1 and didn't drop like LTUR in other classifications---
    You are saying this about us versus the teams that are currently being considered for the Big 12?? I don't even know what to say about that statement. You need to come back to reality.

  15. #55
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Keep living in the past.....our problems TODAY are 95% self made. Quit blaming others that you have no control over anyway.

    You are saying this about us versus the teams that are currently being considered for the Big 12?? I don't even know what to say about that statement. You need to come back to reality.
    Well take the schools that are being considered and compare their facilities---Now I could be wrong but from what I have seen or heard ---our baseball to be and softball are as good or better than these schools---We have a great IPF and APC---A great basketball arena that could host a Big 12 type game---The FB stadium will hold I think 55-60K and that will be enough for this type of game---lets compare!!!

    By the other schools comment, I was thinking of our announcing a desire to get in the BIG 12---Which schools in the state would be helping that out? Even though it would be great for the state, how much funding would they be willing to give UL???


  16. #56
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,030

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Boomer, you actually never say anything, you just hang statements out there for interpretation. Your actual statement was something to the effect ULS schools would actively attempt to sabotage us.

    Pay attention to reality, it's about our own failings.

    Did you really just say you wonder how much MONEY THEY WOULD GIVE UL to join the Big XII. I would expect zero dollars from Brokeback U, and others.

    Boomer said( Which schools in the state would be helping that out? Even though it would be great for the state, how much funding would they be willing to give UL???)


  17. #57
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,646

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Boomer; let's do compare. But not facilities. Let's compare Presidents and ADs with, say, Houston, Memphis, BYU, Cincinnatti and Colorado State.

    All those also have better facilities as well, but let's talk leadership instead.

    I don't even think I need to put anything down for most folks to get the point.


  18. #58
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Boomer; let's do compare. But not facilities. Let's compare Presidents and ADs with, say, Houston, Memphis, BYU, Cincinnatti and Colorado State.

    All those also have better facilities as well, but let's talk leadership instead.

    I don't even think I need to put anything down for most folks to get the point.
    Repeat post again and again and again

    so how are their facilities better---just asking!!!


  19. #59
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Boomer, you actually never say anything, you just hang statements out there for interpretation. Your actual statement was something to the effect ULS schools would actively attempt to sabotage us.

    Pay attention to reality, it's about our own failings.

    Did you really just say you wonder how much MONEY THEY WOULD GIVE UL to join the Big XII. I would expect zero dollars from Brokeback U, and others.

    Boomer said( Which schools in the state would be helping that out? Even though it would be great for the state, how much funding would they be willing to give UL???)

  20. #60
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: BIG 12 leaning towards

    ---Go read the post --- think about past history and the efforts of other state schools to hinder our progress

    it was pointed out what we are doing well in advancing in other areas that might be considered for conference change===go read the post!!!


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •