Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 just voted to expand to 14

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Oh ... I forgot ... just like our President and AD chose the Sunbelt.

But the coaches have significant input ... that's reason why they were polled, but you are right only the Presidents vote.
    I would think some coaches opinions matter more than others depending on the university...the other sunbelt presidents chose us...we didn't choose the sunbelt was what he was getting at.

Default Re: Big 12 just voted to expand to 14

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Seems like we would have to convince teams that with the small amount of TV revenue each conference is now getting, it is better to split the SBC and CUSA into Western and Eastern based conferences as in their best interests. If you can't get the TV revenue, lower travel costs, create closer rivalries where fans can actually travel to away games increasing attendance and gate revenue.
    I think your best hope for that to happen would be the AAC losing 3 and choosing to backfill all 3 from CUSA. If you took Southern Miss, Marshall, and one other away from CUSA, I think it would really cause a lot of the Western Schools to rethink things

Otherwise the best hope is the SBC ironically enough, remaining strong. You'd need a series of SBC Presidents to say "I'm not going to join CUSA in its current alignment, but we'd love to share a conference with X school" you might see Presidents on that end becoming more receptive.

Won't the SBC's and CUSA's automatic bids to the NCAA MBB tournament, as well as the football payoff's each year make it very hard for a new conference to be formed?

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Won't the SBC's and CUSA's automatic bids to the NCAA MBB tournament, as well as the football payoff's each year make it very hard for a new conference to be formed?
    I believe you are correct. Now I do know that CUSA and the SBC could get together, split up both Conferences East/West and reform "new Conferences" and keep the names Sunbelt and CUSA and the monies would not be affected.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

SBC could even change it's name to SWC if that is not a protected entity, which it almost surely is.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    I believe you are correct. Now I do know that CUSA and the SBC could get together, split up both Conferences East/West and reform "new Conferences" and keep the names Sunbelt and CUSA and the monies would not be affected.
    When the Big East basketball schools split and the other schools formed the AAC, how did the AAC manage to keep its automatic bids?

What you suggested in an East/West conference split within the SBC and CUSA is what I also suggested and makes the most sense. Here is one example of what that might look like, disregarding any teams moving to the AAC or MWC.

SBC

North - LA Tech, N. Texas, Ark State, MTSU, WKU, UAB
    South - UL, USM, Rice, TX State, UTSA, UTEP

CUSA

North - Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, App State, GA State, GA Southern
    South - FIU, FAU, Troy, USA, ULM, Coastal Carolina

Blog Entries

When the Big East basketball schools split and the other schools formed the AAC, how did the AAC manage to keep its automatic bids?

What you suggested in an East/West conference split within the SBC and CUSA is what I also suggested and makes the most sense. Here is one example of what that might look like, disregarding any teams moving to the AAC or MWC.

SBC

North - LA Tech, N. Texas, Ark State, MTSU, WKU, UAB
    South - UL, USM, Rice, TX State, UTSA, UTEP

CUSA

North - Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, App State, GA State, GA Southern
    South - FIU, FAU, Troy, USA, ULM, Coastal Carolina
    This would make entirely too much sense to happen. Too many egos involved and bridges burned.

You'd have to completely rename the conferences for that to happen just because being affiliated with SBC brings your entire programs' perspective down.

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    You'd have to completely rename the conferences for that to happen just because being affiliated with SBC brings your entire programs' perspective down.
    That would be a priority if any of those schools would even consider this. But, you would have to first separate under the SBC name to keep the automatic bids.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Yes and the NCAA implemented post season delay is why you don't see new conference formations anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Yes and the NCAA implemented post season delay is why you don't see new conference formations anymore.
    How did the Big East breakup and formation of the AAC allow the AAC to not have any postseason delays? didn't they separate they separate the basketball schools from the all sports schools, kept them in the Big East and formed the AAC for the all sports schools?

How did the Big East breakup and formation of the AAC allow the AAC to not have any postseason delays? didn't they separate they separate the basketball schools from the all sports schools, kept them in the Big East and formed the AAC for the all sports schools?
    I think it had to do with both still having 5 charter members for 7 years after the split...or something to that affect.

Blog Entries

Too big to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Yep. The NCAA doesn't care what you call your conference. The leagues could reorganize entirely and come up with new names and new commissioners and new TV deals, but as long as one claims to be the original Sun Belt and the other the original CUSA, then they get to keep their auto bid and playoff cut.

AAC got a break in that they essentially were able to take over the Big East's BCS money at the time. The Auto Bid was granted based off of how long the teams had been together.

I've been away from RP the past few days, any re-alignment mentions from our local media or admin??

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I've been away from RP the past few days, any re-alignment mentions from our local media or admin??
    Outside of 103.7, not a peep. I was told by Kevin Foote, "there's nothing to talk about" when I asked if they would cover it in the paper or on radio...

No, they're talking WWE and MidSouth wrestling this morning..

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I was told by Kevin Foote, "there's nothing to talk about" when I asked if they would cover it in the paper or on radio...

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Outside of 103.7, not a peep. I was told by Kevin Foote, "there's nothing to talk about" when I asked if they would cover it in the paper or on radio...

No, they're talking WWE and MidSouth wrestling this morning..
    Truly sad.

Remember that other school we beat in a bowl game just a couple of years ago...

"Not only would the Big 12 conference gain a new, ultra competitive opponent on the field but it would also gain access to one of America's most die-hard college sports fan bases headquartered in one of Sports Illustrated's 2004 Sportstown USA communities. Historically, ECU has been known for its great game day atmosphere while continually filling its bleachers with fans. In 2010 ECU Football averaged over 50,000 fans per home game and currently has plans to add another 1,000 seats to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium by 2018, including luxury suites and a brand new press box."

Statement from Greenville City Council

Also from the Athletic Director:

Attached Images Attached Images  

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Remember that other school we beat in a bowl game just a couple of years ago...

"Not only would the Big 12 conference gain a new, ultra competitive opponent on the field but it would also gain access to one of America's most die-hard college sports fan bases headquartered in one of Sports Illustrated's 2004 Sportstown USA communities. Historically, ECU has been known for its great game day atmosphere while continually filling its bleachers with fans. In 2010 ECU Football averaged over 50,000 fans per home game and currently has plans to add another 1,000 seats to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium by 2018, including luxury suites and a brand new press box."

Statement from Greenville City Council

Also from the Athletic Director:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast