_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 164

Thread: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Is your argument against human-caused or human-enhanced global warming that the Earth has changed in the past without humans, therefore its doing it again?
    Because that's just silly. Have species gone extinct before humans were here? After? Have some gone extinct because of humans?
    Also, be careful with wikipedia. I just edited the entry to say that Mars is 11% smaller than my butt.
    That's been fixed evidently, they police the sites petty well.

    Didn't you know there are references too.
    http://humbabe.arc.nasa.gov/~fenton/pdf/fenton/nature05718.pdf

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Do you think that things can only happen in the absence of human activity? Or only in the presence of human activity?
    I'm not sure what's confusing. Global temps are cyclical because of changes in the Earth's orbit, changes in atmospheric composition, changes in the composition of the biosphere, changes in solar output. Adding greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere will increase the global temp. Diminishing ice and snow cover decrease albedo, which increases surface temps, which increases atmospheric temps. And you have a feedback loop.
    Your grass will grow whether you are there or not. Adding fertilizer to your grass will increase its growth rate. I am fond of the analogy.


  3. #23
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    So what you are saying is that you don't have to prove humans cause warming, you can simply say we enhance it...and that is that.


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Or I can say humans dont enhance it and that is that.

    Seems pretty simple. Increased greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere line up pretty well with increased global temps.

    I also get that our understanding of the universe is in constant flux. What we view as permanent and fixed today can certainly change tomorrow. It was "science" that the Earth was the center of the universe and those bishops refused to look through Galileo's telescope.


  5. #25
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Or I can say humans dont enhance it and that is that.

    Seems pretty simple. Increased greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere line up pretty well with increased global temps.
    Then what was the cause before green house gases?

    If I say that we'd be covered in a glacier as part of a new ice age IF NOT for the effects/benefits from human activity, wouldn't you ask me to prove it?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere are normal. Present levels of greenhouse gasses are not.
    We need the greenhouse effect or the Earth would be too cold for life. But to continue to add those gasses could lead to a runaway greenhouse effect. See Venus.


  7. #27
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    "Could lead"? Shouldn't you be saying "will lead"?


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    "Could" is correct. Not many 100% locks in science. Especially climate science. Earth processes and extremely dynamic and interdependent.


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    17,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    "Could" is correct. Not many 100% locks in science. Especially climate science. Earth processes and extremely dynamic and interdependent.
    Not a lot of 100% locks in science? "100% locks" is the entire point of the scientific process...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Not a lot of 100% locks in science? "100% locks" is the entire point of the scientific process...
    Nope. Not even a little correct.

  11. #31
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Al Gore is still laughing at all the "suckers" to whom he sold carbon credits for millions...while all the time he's flying around in a private jet...and just one of his houses uses more energy in a month than each of us does in a year. Nice gig if you can get it.


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Al made out like a bandit.


  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    17,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Nope. Not even a little correct.
    You're trying to tell me that the scientific method was not meant to find facts and/or laws?

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    A fact is an observation. A law is a description. A theory is an explanation.
    The scientific method is a process to test a hypothesis.
    There is no proof in science.


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    17,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    A fact is an observation. A law is a description. A theory is an explanation.
    The scientific method is a process to test a hypothesis.
    There is no proof in science.
    Thanks for the clarification..
    Red, I think he just proved your point for you.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thanks for the clarification..
    Red, I think he just proved your point for you.
    De nada for the edification.
    Unsure about your second statement.

  17. #37
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    I believe him to be honorable. I do think, though, that much of this movement is less than honorable...and ALL are making out like bandits.


  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Well I said gravitational havoc, it's the magnetic field of the earth, which is why the change is happening. Some scientist believe that the earth is reacting to the magnetic field of this object. Which in turn is causing the climate to change.


  19. #39
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,542

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Well I said gravitational havoc, it's the magnetic field of the earth, which is why the change is happening. Some scientist believe that the earth is reacting to the magnetic field of this object. Which in turn is causing the climate to change.
    ---Are any of the scientific field aware of grants that are given to certain pro or anti Global warming profs to carry out experiments? Just seems that their findings could be slightly subjective in favor of the side giving the bucks!!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: New York Post uses University of Louisiana :-)

    Oh I agree! Personally I think the earth naturally goes through periods of warning and cooling .


Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •