_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Branding, Media and the Alden Report

Default Branding, Media and the Alden Report

Well, that was an investment well spent. Comprehensive and complete in its review and suggestions/plan of action...

As we have long discussed, the "Branding" of athletics and all that encompasses that single descriptive word (adjective, noun, and verb) was broken down into all of its single components from marketing, digital, new media, traditional media, sponsorship's, ad sales, in game and out of game experiences for the fans etc, etc. This report is a total and conclusive road map to the future success (off the field) of UL Athletics. Some of what I liked...

Have a multimedia group like IMG, Learfield, or others handle all sponsorship marketing. It gives UL a national reach that nearly every school in the country enjoys. They also specialize in brand licensing and other internal marketing objectives.

Improve on all of the digital/new media opportunities. Develop more content for distribution, both through traditional and non-traditional means. Folks, the media landscape is going to changing in the near future in Lafayette. KADN/KLAF etc will be put up for sale after Nexstar acquires Media General. KLFY will ride that train while KADN/KLAF will be sold to (in all likelihood) to Meredith Corp. or some other large broadcast group. Most of those don't sell, produce, and air local originated sports. The outlets you enjoy now will be gone.

The biggest advantage to a more multi media approach is in selling the brand/product to anyone in the world who has an interest. Yes, the oilfield sucks right now, but there are alumni and friends and interested parties far beyond the boundary that of Louisiana and Acadiana that would love to be a part of the Cajun Nation with donations if they were only enticed to do so....

Love all the suggestions as far as in-game experiences. "Stomp at the Swamp"...love it. Have always thought that a cajun fiddler or accordion playing the national anthem (have seen it done at softball) would be a great way to kick off any athletic event.

Finally logos and the intellectual property of the university. Personally, I like the "one and only" Ragin Cajuns campaign. My problem is that the brand of "Ragin Cajuns" while owned by UL is continually used and seen without any payment to the University. I just saw a commercial for (I think) TGI Fridays or some other QSR for a Ragin Cajun steak....How much money is the university loosing on this sort of stuff. The University of California (Cal) has a great program that sniffs out and punishes business who use all things Cal that don't pay for the use of or misuse of their intellectual property, logos, etc. This problem goes straight to the University Marketing Office...those buffoons should be fired with the release of this report.....

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Branding, Media and the Alden Report

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Well, that was an investment well spent. Comprehensive and complete in its review and suggestions/plan of action...

As we have long discussed, the "Branding" of athletics and all that encompasses that single descriptive word (adjective, noun, and verb) was broken down into all of its single components from marketing, digital, new media, traditional media, sponsorship's, ad sales, in game and out of game experiences for the fans etc, etc. This report is a total and conclusive road map to the future success (off the field) of UL Athletics. Some of what I liked...

Have a multimedia group like IMG, Learfield, or others handle all sponsorship marketing. It gives UL a national reach that nearly every school in the country enjoys. They also specialize in brand licensing and other internal marketing objectives.

Improve on all of the digital/new media opportunities. Develop more content for distribution, both through traditional and non-traditional means. Folks, the media landscape is going to changing in the near future in Lafayette. KADN/KLAF etc will be put up for sale after Nexstar acquires Media General. KLFY will ride that train while KADN/KLAF will be sold to (in all likelihood) to Meredith Corp. or some other large broadcast group. Most of those don't sell, produce, and air local originated sports. The outlets you enjoy now will be gone.

The biggest advantage to a more multi media approach is in selling the brand/product to anyone in the world who has an interest. Yes, the oilfield sucks right now, but there are alumni and friends and interested parties far beyond the boundary that of Louisiana and Acadiana that would love to be a part of the Cajun Nation with donations if they were only enticed to do so....

Love all the suggestions as far as in-game experiences. "Stomp at the Swamp"...love it. Have always thought that a cajun fiddler or accordion playing the national anthem (have seen it done at softball) would be a great way to kick off any athletic event.

Finally logos and the intellectual property of the university. Personally, I like the "one and only" Ragin Cajuns campaign. My problem is that the brand of "Ragin Cajuns" while owned by UL is continually used and seen without any payment to the University. I just saw a commercial for (I think) TGI Fridays or some other QSR for a Ragin Cajun steak....How much money is the university loosing on this sort of stuff. The University of California (Cal) has a great program that sniffs out and punishes business who use all things Cal that don't pay for the use of or misuse of their intellectual property, logos, etc. This problem goes straight to the University Marketing Office...those buffoons should be fired with the release of this report.....
    Pretty sure when we trademarked Ragin' Cajuns we only did it for athletics leaving others to do what they want with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Pretty sure when we trademarked Ragin' Cajuns we only did it for athletics leaving others to do what they want with the name.
    Then that should change....

How much did report cost?

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Then that should change....
    I'm not sure you could do this retroactively as a number of business entities already use the name in other markets.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    ^This. I was about to ask that question whenever I read the first line of this post. IMO spending any money on consultants is a waste. I mean consultants? really? I'de like to slap whoever placed a job title on the word Consultant. Consultants are a big part of the reason our great state is in such financial trouble right now. President and AD along with their staff should know whats going on within their university. No need to throw money away at a consultant.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Not just the marketing office.....

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    How much does it cost you to hire a CPA to do your taxes? If he is good, and you do what he tells you, he MAKES you money. Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    How much does it cost you to hire a CPA to do your taxes? If he is good, and you do what he tells you, he MAKES you money. Same here.
    Exactly.

We could sit and all say, "Well we've been saying this for years on this message board", but the reality is the initiatives wouldn't be implemented until people who have been there done that, like Alden, put together something for our university leadership.

As someone who is familiar with organizational development consulting, most companies already know the problems and potential solutions before a consultant is hired. The information is generally received better by the employees/stakeholders when that info in conveyed by an outside source.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Dr. Savoie needed to hear this from an outside source.

An even better analogy is how much did that positive cancer screening cost?

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    ^This. I was about to ask that question whenever I read the first line of this post. IMO spending any money on consultants is a waste. I mean consultants? really? I'de like to slap whoever placed a job title on the word Consultant. Consultants are a big part of the reason our great state is in such financial trouble right now. President and AD along with their staff should know whats going on within their university. No need to throw money away at a consultant.
    Been waiting for this post from someone.

You couldn't be more wrong.

No company, school or business has all the answers. Hiring outside people to give you a different viewpoint or to affirm what you think you know has been going on for much longer than this state has had a financial crisis.

When I was a teenager, the place I worked had people who would come in and buy stuff just to see how customer service and other things were handled. That is a consultant.

That was in 1969.

No administrator has all the answers. To suggest they should is folly.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post

No company, school or business has all the answers. Hiring outside people to give you a different viewpoint or to affirm what you think you know has been going on for much longer than this state has had a financial crisis.

When I was a teenager, the place I worked had people who would come in and buy stuff just to see how customer service and other things were handled. That is a consultant.

That was in 1969.

Come on now, Jay. We could have gotten Jerry Luke LeBlanc, Chris Williams, Coach Blanco and their Band of Brothers to produce the same quality study with integrity at half the cost!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Branding, Media and the Alden Report

That was in 1969.

This may be the best post you have ever made, BOP. Now we just need to hope that our administrators can acknowledge that they have been doing it wrong all these years and start doing it the right way. Sometimes that is the biggest part of the battle.

I know this. I have been both the administrator who did it wrong and the consultant who advised a better way.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by jric116 View Post
    As someone who is familiar with organizational development consulting, most companies already know the problems and potential solutions before a consultant is hired. The information is generally received better by the employees/stakeholders when that info in conveyed by an outside source.
    ---I worked for and am familiar with 2 outstanding companies and your post is right on the money

These outside folks come in the loop and check every facet of the company---an example would be say in sales and your manager telling you what is wrong rather than XYZ company coming in and giving examples of your problems (yes we know there is a problem, but defining it and presenting ways of fixing it is what the worth is)

Upon reading this, the LSU and state universities will be trying to stop what we put in if it involves in any way state monies

the me I see, the me you see, and the me I be!!! This is what the consulting agency defines, and a program given for correction and hitting future goals is what hopefully we will get!!!

That was in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    This may be the best post you have ever made, BOP. Now we just need to hope that our administrators can acknowledge that they have been doing it wrong all these years and start doing it the right way. Sometimes that is the biggest part of the battle.

I know this. I have been both the administrator who did it wrong and the consultant who advised a better way.
    Agreed.

If its a current business, its grandfathered in. Any future business or product would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by mxt3999 View Post
    Pretty ingnorant post right here.

I work for engineering consultants who designed the track/soccer complex, softball indoor facility, the new Tigue, as well as many many other projects associated with the university and this community.

Nearly every company hires consultants to perform various jobs that they are either incapable of doing or to get an unbiased opinion on their deficiencies. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the wide array of jobs consultants perform before you go around knocking the profession.

I think for T-Joe to have an outside group look at how UL does things is a breath of fresh air. You need something tangible to change the "we have always done it this way" attitude. UL has a history of promoting from within. Now T-Joe has that ammunition to institute changes. I will wait and see if there are, in fact, any changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast