Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 301

Thread: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,771

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    This report talks about many many things that have to get done and a lot of them are immediately. But none of this is going to get done in any sort of a timely manner until we increase our athletics staff by a LOT.

    To be fair (and I say that understanding none of you need to be fair LOL) suggesting our leadership can't get it done may be valid, but how do we know when they've never been given the resources they need to be successful...and personnel is chief among them.

    I'm not smart enough to know exactly what order things need to be done, but I'll argue increasing the staff needs to be at the top of the list.

    Mike Alden is well respected...but even he wouldn't be able to get this to where it needs to be without a LOT more people.

    There were more people involved in putting this report together than we have on our full time athletic staff.

    Think about that.
    I guess that means the ball is now in Dr. Savoie's court.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    This report talks about many many things that have to get done and a lot of them are immediately. But none of this is going to get done in any sort of a timely manner until we increase our athletics staff by a LOT.

    To be fair (and I say that understanding none of you need to be fair LOL) suggesting our leadership can't get it done may be valid, but how do we know when they've never been given the resources they need to be successful...and personnel is chief among them.

    I'm not smart enough to know exactly what order things need to be done, but I'll argue increasing the staff needs to be at the top of the list.

    Mike Alden is well respected...but even he wouldn't be able to get this to where it needs to be without a LOT more people.

    There were more people involved in putting this report together than we have on our full time athletic staff.

    Think about that.
    All valid points. Opinions about current leadership aside.. Then the issue becomes about money and personnel before anything gets started. We need significantly more personnel but don't have the money. We need significantly more money but don't have the personnel. Eventually we will have to take a shot at the student fee or T Joe will have to allocate more to athletics. If neither of these occur then I guess it falls on the back of private fundraising. I'm not sure we can immediately raise the kind of money we need to kick this off.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,986

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Pretty sure fees and tuition has increased substantially in the last 3-4 years with the state cut backs coupled with the state allowing universities to increase tuition based on performance criteria.
    Right, and I noted that. Tuition in and of itself has gone up about $2000 since this PDF was produced.

    I don't think that any additional student fees have been adopted by the students since 2013 (maybe the facility fee?), but from what I'm reading fees are capped at a maximum, so I dont' think they can be arbitrarily increased, without going back to the students.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,193

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but the timing of this report couldn't be any worse. It has come out just in time to see the oilfield completely shut down while the entire world heads into recession. The Great State of Louisiana is also completely broke at this time. It also comes out just as the P5 conferences are imposing the cost of pay for play on all of us.

    Not to beat a dead horse, but we needed to have acted on the information in this report 15-20 years ago. As usual, our timing is a day late, and a dollar short.

    We'll be doing well if we can just maintain the status quo over the next few years.
    Anyone else read this in Debbie Downer's voice?

  5. #125
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan83 View Post
    All valid points. Opinions about current leadership aside.. Then the issue becomes about money and personnel before anything gets started. We need significantly more personnel but don't have the money. We need significantly more money but don't have the personnel. Eventually we will have to take a shot at the student fee or T Joe will have to allocate more to athletics. If neither of these occur then I guess it falls on the back of private fundraising. I'm not sure we can immediately raise the kind of money we need to kick this off.
    Somebody at the university needs to understand that if we do not INVEST in our future by putting money into whatever we need to implement this plan, we may as well go back to the SLC now, and prepare for ALL of our sports to be totally irrelevant, including Softball and Baseball.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Somebody at the university needs to understand that if we do not INVEST in our future by putting money into whatever we need to implement this plan, we may as well go back to the SLC now, and prepare for ALL of our sports to be totally irrelevant, including Softball and Baseball.
    Many on this board will agree that if we can't get our name right, if we can't even decide what to call ourselves, how we brand ourselves, then we are screwed from the "get go". I submitted this ideal years ago. We need to get out of the Louisiana name battle and attack from a totally different angle. ULM, LA Tech, LSU, Lafayette, ULLLL...it's all exhausting.

    Are you ready? ACADIANA UNIVERSITY. The Acadiana Ragin' Cajuns.. ARC. No more confusion with Lafayette Leopards. No more "you guys are in Monroe right?" It sets us apart. It will take time but will work. There is no other Acadiana, no other Ragin' Cajuns. Do it.

  7. #127
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by uslol'dog View Post
    Many on this board will agree that if we can't get our name right, if we can't even decide what to call ourselves, how we brand ourselves, then we are screwed from the "get go". I submitted this ideal years ago. We need to get out of the Louisiana name battle and attack from a totally different angle. ULM, LA Tech, LSU, Lafayette, ULLLL...it's all exhausting.

    Are you ready? ACADIANA UNIVERSITY. The Acadiana Ragin' Cajuns.. ARC. No more confusion with Lafayette Leopards. No more "you guys are in Monroe right?" It sets us apart. It will take time but will work. There is no other Acadiana, no other Ragin' Cajuns. Do it.
    Oh freakin GOD!

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    We are short staffed bc there is no money to hire people. There is no money bc we dont have enough people doing the work to get more money.

    I can see the admin is disappointed in that they need to get more people working. I can see they would rather use money to build and improve what we have rather than pay more people with the limited money we have.


  9. #129
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    People who donate to the program want to see buildings and stadiums, not more employees in the office.


  10. #130
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    People who donate to the program want to see buildings and stadiums, not more employees in the office.
    If my money is being used to create vehicles to make MORE money, I have no problem at all with that.

  11. #131
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,728

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    If my money is being used to create vehicles to make MORE money, I have no problem at all with that.

    As the number of retired Boomers increases every day---this might be a way to get some cheap experienced retired employees kinda on a volunteer basis---Unlike some with low tech qualifications (ahemmm), we have people that can do it all and wouldn't mind doing some volunteer type stuff for the athletic department---in fact if they liked it, maybe take over their positions!!! lol Seriouly, we have some former athletes and alumni that love their school and are ready to give more than just their money to help the athletics Department!!!


  12. #132
    BirdofParadise's Avatar
    BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,080

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    If my money is being used to create vehicles to make MORE money, I have no problem at all with that.
    And, there will be no opinion that makes more sense than this one.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,676

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by uslol'dog View Post
    Many on this board will agree that if we can't get our name right, if we can't even decide what to call ourselves, how we brand ourselves, then we are screwed from the "get go". I submitted this ideal years ago. We need to get out of the Louisiana name battle and attack from a totally different angle. ULM, LA Tech, LSU, Lafayette, ULLLL...it's all exhausting.

    Are you ready? ACADIANA UNIVERSITY. The Acadiana Ragin' Cajuns.. ARC. No more confusion with Lafayette Leopards. No more "you guys are in Monroe right?" It sets us apart. It will take time but will work. There is no other Acadiana, no other Ragin' Cajuns. Do it.
    Haven't gotten over that name change from SLI to USL eh?

    Love my heritage, area and community. But man, what a step backwards.

  14. #134
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,726

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Right, and I noted that. Tuition in and of itself has gone up about $2000 since this PDF was produced.

    I don't think that any additional student fees have been adopted by the students since 2013 (maybe the facility fee?), but from what I'm reading fees are capped at a maximum, so I dont' think they can't be arbitrarily increased, without going back to the students.
    Current tuition and fee schedule.

    http://bursar.louisiana.edu/tuition-...n-fee-schedule

  15. #135
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,157

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    As the number of retired Boomers increases every day---this might be a way to get some cheap experienced retired employees kinda on a volunteer basis---Unlike some with low tech qualifications (ahemmm), we have people that can do it all and wouldn't mind doing some volunteer type stuff for the athletic department---in fact if they liked it, maybe take over their positions!!! lol Seriouly, we have some former athletes and alumni that love their school and are ready to give more than just their money to help the athletics Department!!!

    Guess what Boom, you and I agree on this. Woo hoo. This is something I've considered doing when I reach that point in my life. Not there yet.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I couldn't find anything more recent, the following breakdown of fee charges is updated for Spring 2013 fee schedule as of 12.02.12:.. but I do not see any fees regarding getting into athletic events for free except for the "Auxiliary Operations Fee" and if that is it then I would assume Martin Hall and I would love see the breakdown of how much of that $100 goes towards athletics. (Probably higher in 2016 but still seems low)

    *Board Assessed Fees:

    Tuition/General Registration
    -Up to $ 2,234.28 per semester
    Building Use fee
    -$10.00 per semester
    Building Use Fee-New
    -Up to $48.00 per semester
    Academic Enhancement
    -$25.00 per semester
    Academic Excellence
    -$10.00 per credit hour; $30.00 minimum, $120.00 maximum
    Operational Fee
    -up to $61.20 per semester

    University Assessed Fees:

    Records and Evaluation Fee ($10.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding for maintenance of student academic records; provides students with free copies of University transcripts.
    Auxiliary Operations Fee ($100.00 assessed at 4 or more credit hours)
    -Provides ancillary student support for Auxiliary services which include the Student Union, transit system, operations, recreational sports/activities, the health clinic, and other student related services.

    Energy Fee (up to $60.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding to offset energy costs of the University
    Student Self-Assessed Fees
    Masterplan Advancement Program ($7.50 per credit hour, maximum of 15 credits)
    -Provides funding for campus improvements with input from students
    Student Union (up to $23.00 per semester)
    -Provide funding for construction and maintenance of existing UL Lafayette Student Union
    Student Union ($20.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours.
    -Provides funding for construction and maintenance of a new first-class Student Center
    Student Union ($55.00 per semester for students at 6 or more credit hours
    -Provides funding for construction and maintenance of a new first-class Student Center
    Student Technology Fee ($5.00 per credit hour)
    -Provides funding to enhance student-accessible technology on campus
    ID Photo ($10.00 per semester)
    -Provide for ID photographs and identification cards
    La Louisiane-Alumni ($2.50 per semester)
    -Provides funding for La Louisiane, the alumni magazine
    Debate ($1.00 per semester)
    -Provide funding for travel expenses for the University Debate Team
    Entertainment ($5.50 per semester)
    -Provide funding for University Program Council for events like Lagniappe Week, Ragin Roar, and Homecoming. UPC sponsored events are free to students
    Day Care ($2.25 per semester)
    -Provides for top quality child care at affordable prices for children of full time students.
    Intramurals ($2.00 per semester)
    -Provides for intramural sports for UL Lafayette students
    Band Association (up to $5.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding for the Pride of Acadiana March Band
    Student Loan (.50 per semester)
    -Provides for emergency loan assistance through the short-term loan program.
    Lyceum (up to $1.00 per semester)
    -Provides for academic speakers at the University
    Book (.10 per semester)
    L 'Acadian ($12.00 per Fall semester for students with 12 or more credit hours)
    -Provides a copy of the L 'Acadian Yearbook for each full-time student
    KRVS (.50 per semester)
    -Provides funding for KRVS, the campus radio station
    SGA ($7.50 per semester for 6 or more credit hours)
    -Provides funding for the Student Government Association
    Insurance ($22.00 per semester for students assessed at 7 or more undergraduate credit hours or 6 or more graduate credit hours)
    -Provides students with health care coverage
    Vermilion ($2.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding for the student published newspaper
    SGA Scholarship (.75 per semester)
    -Provides funding for SGA-awarded scholarships
    International Student Council (.35 per semester)
    Club Sports ($3.15 per semester)
    -Provide funding for club sports such as Judo, Bowling, Soccer, Rugby, Tae Kwan Do, Skeet Shooting, and Water Skiing.
    Arts Fee (up to $7.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding for the UL Lafayette Symphony Orchestra and UL Lafayette
    Performing Arts
    Cheerleaders (up to $4.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding for UL Lafayette cheerleaders
    University Police ($1.00 per semester) Provides funding for the University Police Department for scholarships, student officers, Code Blue emergency systems, crime prevention programs, and equipment for officers.
    Art Museum (up to $5.00 per semester)
    -Provides funding for the University Art Museum
    Parking and Transit (up to $25.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)
    -Provides funding to maintain transit facilities (buses), improve parking facilities, and provide free parking at Cajun Field and Zone 40.
    Recreational-.Facility/Equipment ($20.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more
    Credit hours)
    Student Health Service ($20.00 per semester for 6 or more credit hours)
    -Provides health care services to student free of charge
    Student Health Service Support ($5.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours
    -Provides support services for Student Health Services
    Auxiliary Improvement
    -$15.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours
    Initial Enrollment Fee ($7.50 first time freshmen only)
    -Provides enrollment services to first-time stude
    Thanks! The following fee addresses UL intramural sports and has nothing to do with NCAA College athletic tickets or funding. There is no student ticket fee or fee for NCAA sanctioned sports at UL. Also keep in mind, not all the Student Union or facility fees are permanent.

    Auxiliary Operations Fee ($100.00 assessed at 4 or more credit hours)
    -Provides ancillary student support for Auxiliary services which include the Student Union, transit system, operations, recreational sports/activities, the health clinic, and other student related services.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Haven't gotten over that name change from SLI to USL eh?

    Love my heritage, area and community. But man, what a step backwards.
    Not a step backwards, we will never be the University of Louisiana. Get over it. May as well go a different direction

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,632

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Thanks! The following fee addresses UL intramural sports and has nothing to do with NCAA College athletic tickets or funding. There is no student ticket fee or fee for NCAA sanctioned sports at UL. Also keep in mind, not all the Student Union or facility fees are permanent.

    Auxiliary Operations Fee ($100.00 assessed at 4 or more credit hours)
    -Provides ancillary student support for Auxiliary services which include the Student Union, transit system, operations, recreational sports/activities, the health clinic, and other student related services.
    Intramurals ($2.00 per semester)
    -Provides for intramural sports for UL Lafayette students"


    Wouldn't this one be for intermurals??

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    "Intramurals ($2.00 per semester)
    That would be correct. But would not recreational sports/activities include bowling, and other sports? What would that have to do with sanctioned NCAA sports? Recreational Sports/Activities would seem not to apply NCAA sanctioned sports, but there are a lot of services covered.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,986

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Yeah, was at this page but couldn't find anything on the number/cost of university and student assessed fees, apart from tuition.

    Are you seeing a link that I'm missing?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •