Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 301

Thread: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    There's a lot of good recommendations in this report, particularly about branding. My hope is that those in charge don't sit on their hands with these recommendations. Its not exactly ground breaking. But I really like the part about recognizing we have a unique identity as the Ragin' Cajuns, both from the standpoint that there are no other Ragin' Cajuns in the NCAA and that we've got the French influence in the University and surrounding area. These branding recommendations give life to what it means to be a Ragin Cajun. It puts substance behind that brand. The "Where every game is Mardi Gras" is a unique tagline and can push some of what we're about in South Louisiana, into our athletic identity. In marketing, when you've got something totally unique, you rally behind it, make it your strength and PUSH it.

    In order to build a strong fan base, you've of course got to strengthen appeal and involvement of our student and alumni bodies. But you've also go to reach out to the casual fan. The "sidewalk fan" so to speak who doesn't have ties to the University but sees whats going on and says "I want to be a part of this". You do that by consistently winning but also by building that strong identifiable brand. People see our logo or hear our name and automatically know who we are and what we're about.

    I'm also glad they pushed the mascot portion. Its just somebody in an expensive costume but its important roaming embodiment/characterization of our university. You've got the obvious part, that it appeals to children. Parents take their kids to games and see the mascot, take pictures. You create that appeal early with the kids and create longer term pleasant memories and associations with Cajuns sporting events. Beyond that, a great mascot with a story can resonate with adults and students too. I've been to LSU football games where the Mike mascot comes to the student section and the students high five him, take pictures etc. You also see mascots in commercials. Think of WKU's Big Red. He's unique and gotten their school some notoriety. Cayenne was generally awful. People hated the Ragin' Peppers branding and then there was the question of "Why?" How does Cayenne represent our identity? How do I relate to a pepper as a Ragin Cajun fan?

    The question is how do you embody Ragin Cajuns in a mascot? I know we had Cajun Man, but he's not particularly memorable. He was ultimately just kind of a guy. I'm from Shreveport and we had the Mudbugs hockey team. Their mascot was a crawfish named Claude. When I think of a mascot that might work for us, this stands out. A Crawfish represents something we can relate to in South Louisiana and its a unique mascot among NCAA teams. Lets not forget, that April Fools crawfish helmet got quite a bit of press.


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    2,414

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Boy, this is definitely a Ragin Pagin thread. A 79 page document that validates, corroborates, and cements what we've all said needed to happen to further our program for years, crafted by outside professionals that have taken a good look at us with a critical eye and made suggestions that will get us there if implemented, and half the posts about it are folks btching about the name.

    Never change, you guys.


  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Boy, this is definitely a Ragin Pagin thread. A 79 page document that validates, corroborates, and cements what we've all said needed to happen to further our program for years, crafted by outside professionals that have taken a good look at us with a critical eye and made suggestions that will get us there if implemented, and half the posts about it are folks btching about the name.

    Never change, you guys.
    LOL!! You noticed that, but it is part of branding.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    We need to quit using lack of student fees as an excuse for doing nothing. Yes, it would be nice to have them, but in the meantime let's go raise an additional 10 million by doing things in our control the right way.
    Really, you can't be serious , others in our conference have a student fee, we're talking about a minimue % increase in tuition. And just where do we find the $10 million. We need to find new donors, we've beat a dead horse to dearh

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,679

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Stabil123 View Post
    Really, you can't be serious , others in our conference have a student fee, we're talking about a minimue % increase in tuition. And just where do we find the $10 million. We need to find new donors, we've beat a dead horse to dearh
    Student fees have to be voted on by students. There is a less than zero chance of that happening in the current economic environment. TOPS covers tuition NOT fees. As such Universities have gone down that road numerous times and you can't blame them. As such a big part of attending college in Louisiana isn't covered by TOPS and the downturn in O&G has compounded the issue. No way you get 50% of the students and their parents to vote this in right now. So it is a mute point.

    Per VOB we just need to move on and figure out what else we can do at this time. Maybe someday we can take another look at a student fee but it isn't happening today.

  6. #46
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,213

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Stabil123 View Post
    Really, you can't be serious , others in our conference have a student fee, we're talking about a minimue % increase in tuition. And just where do we find the $10 million. We need to find new donors, we've beat a dead horse to dearh
    With all due respect, we are in the position we are in exactly because our leaders think like you. Most of the new money that will be generated by following the guidelines set out in the proposal will be coming from previously untapped or underutilized sources. We will not be beating the old dead horse. Not that we won't need more from those of us who have been giving, but most will be coming from new sources.

  7. #47
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,213

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Just one example of a non traditional revenue source covered in the Report. If you enjoyed watching our baseball series this weekend, thank stAte's AD the next time you see him. stAte produced that programing and sold it to ESPN at a profit to provide content for ESPN3. No doubt they used the fact that they were playing us to enhance the value of the product.


  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    With all due respect, we are in the position we are in exactly because our leaders think like you. Most of the new money that will be generated by following the guidelines set out in the proposal will be coming from previously untapped or underutilized sources. We will not be beating the old dead horse. Not that we won't need more from those of us who have been giving, but most will be coming from new sources.
    We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. People with money in this area have stepped up, I asked just where will the $10 million come from , why not increase Tuition by 1 or 2 %, and what are the new sources or in your case I guess we need to find 1,000 people to put up $10,000 each, good luck with that, and I find your comment condescending not with any respect

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    With all due respect, we are in the position we are in exactly because our leaders think like you. Most of the new money that will be generated by following the guidelines set out in the proposal will be coming from previously untapped or underutilized sources. We will not be beating the old dead horse. Not that we won't need more from those of us who have been giving, but most will be coming from new sources.
    Couldn't we just charge every student a ticket fee every semester that gets them into every event? Add a ticket fee as part of tuition. Why would that need student approval? $125 per semester per student is a hell of a bargain. Considering all the sporting events we have in all sports, that would come to just a couple of bucks per event. Why should they automatically get into every event free? Like us, students want to see UL excel and take pride in having a nationally recognized program and degree. A very small price to pay. I work with a Texas A&M alum and he said they did that there, except it was more like $250 a semester.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Student fees have to be voted on by students. There is a less than zero chance of that happening in the current economic environment. TOPS covers tuition NOT fees. As such Universities have gone down that road numerous times and you can't blame them. As such a big part of attending college in Louisiana isn't covered by TOPS and the downturn in O&G has compounded the issue. No way you get 50% of the students and their parents to vote this in right now. So it is a mute point.

    Per VOB we just need to move on and figure out what else we can do at this time. Maybe someday we can take another look at a student fee but it isn't happening today.
    As someone that has paid a number of fees that TOPS doesn't pay as a parent and continue to do so at this time, it needs to be discussed. I don't argue that the climate is not right today, but when will it be in the future? For too long, our students and parents have paid much cheaper tuition then most other state university students and college students in our region. At some point the fee needs to be addressed and allowed to go to vote. If it does not pass, then students should be charged the public cost for tickets to all sporting events period. Its all part of raising athletic revenue.

  11. #51
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,213

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    We have failed, not just miserably, but spectacularly, in virtually every facet of promoting our brand and selling our product. If we follow the plan set out in this report, we can reverse this failure and make it a success. Much of the money will come from outside of Acadiana, from people and sponsors who want to capitalize on our unique brand.


  12. #52
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,688

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Student fees have to be voted on by students. There is a less than zero chance of that happening in the current economic environment. TOPS covers tuition NOT fees. As such Universities have gone down that road numerous times and you can't blame them. As such a big part of attending college in Louisiana isn't covered by TOPS and the downturn in O&G has compounded the issue. No way you get 50% of the students and their parents to vote this in right now. So it is a mute point.

    Per VOB we just need to move on and figure out what else we can do at this time. Maybe someday we can take another look at a student fee but it isn't happening today.
    ---Admittedly, this is not a good time for a student vote on this issue, but you don't need 50% of the student body but rather OVer 50% of the total vote---the last student vote passed but only by a very little if I remember correctly---It would take a hugely successful plan to get it done selling an enhancement to your degree, the afore mentioned small % increase, admission to all the games and some type of shirt or fringe to go with it--beer party or whatever---Alumni selling the point of the athletic value and the chance for matriculation to a P-5 conference

    Also the calculation of losing and the ramifications of that!!


  13. #53
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,160

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    "Brand Summary"
    -You have a unique and authentic brand that can be monetized to fund athletics.

    -Your constituents want to lead more, do more, pay more.

    -you need a comprehensive brand plan with specific deliverables and timelines, developed by a task force from a cross section of both the University and the community.

    -You need to execute this plan and NOT PUT IT ON A SHELF...

    -YOU NEED TO MOVE QUICKLY ON ALL FRONTS OR RISK BEING PERMANENTLY LEFT BEHIND....

    Let that sink in boys and girls.....this is it.


  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Couldn't we just charge every student a ticket fee every semester that gets them into every event? Add a ticket fee as part of tuition. Why would that need student approval? $125 per semester per student is a hell of a bargain. Considering all the sporting events we have in all sports, that would come to just a couple of bucks per event. Why should they automatically get into every event free? Like us, students want to see UL excel and take pride in having a nationally recognized program and degree. A very small price to pay. I work with a Texas A&M alum and he said they did that there, except it was more like $250 a semester.
    heck of a bargain, eh? as compared to free now. 50% of students won't approve, heck I might not

  15. #55
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,213

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Stabil123 View Post
    We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. People with money in this area have stepped up, I asked just where will the $10 million come from , why not increase Tuition by 1 or 2 %, and what are the new sources or in your case I guess we need to find 1,000 people to put up $10,000 each, good luck with that, and I find your comment condescending not with any respect
    I apologize if I offended you. Of course some of our alumni with money have stepped up, some in a very big way. My point is that we have done a horrible job of promoting ourselves outside our alumni circle. We don't need to find 1000 people to put up $10000 each; we need to sell all of our athletic contests as self-produced packages to ESPN, FSN and others at a profit; we need to quit giving our product away for others to profit from it. We need to quit letting students in free to games, since we won't get a fee. We need to establish our brand as strongly as possible nationwide, even worldwide. A person in Poland or South Africa can buy our merchandise as easily as one from Lafayette. We have not even begun to tap our potential market.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    865

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    I've never been a big fan of most mascots but then, it's been a long time since I was a kid. And while the cayenne pepper seems to have taken a lot of heat (pun intended) from some fans, it was much better in my opinion than that hideous whatever it was with the square head. Never saw the connection there.

    Now, just thinking out loud here. Has anyone ever considered approaching the folks at Tabasco for some sort of joint advertising and promotion? That name is known world-wide.......I know because I've seen their products all over the world.


  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    heck of a bargain, eh? as compared to free now. 50% of students won't approve, heck I might not
    Well, if you don't vote for one then they can add student tickets without a vote. Either way it will eventually need to get done. Nothing is free.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    heck of a bargain, eh? as compared to free now. 50% of students won't approve, heck I might not
    Again, why do they have to approve? Simply add a ticket fee as part of tuition and fees m.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Well, if you don't vote for one then they can add student tickets without a vote. Either way it will eventually need to get done. Nothing is free.
    I'll cross that bridge when it gets here

  20. #60
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,213

    Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Again, why do they have to approve? Simply add a ticket fee as part of tuition and fees m.
    By UL system rule, student fees must be self imposed by vote. UL can't add a ticket fee, but it can simply stop letting students in free, charging either full price or a reduced price with ID.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •