_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

1. UL Basketball Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

UL On a day his team could have been playing for the CollegeInsider.com tournament championship, University of Louisiana men's basketball coach Bob Marlin instead took about 20 minutes to put a coda on his team's 2015-16 season."Our...

The rest of the story
    THE Advocate

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Marlin looks back at Cajuns' season, forward to next

"It's frustrating, because you're only as good as your players."

Got any more room under that bus, Bob?

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post

I just wish we would let him choose his own players instead of forcing him to recruit and play people he doesn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I just wish we would let him choose his own players instead of forcing him to recruit and play people he doesn't want to.
    Ha!

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I can't believe that I just read that. Seriously? Who the HELL recruits and signs..."your players"?

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    I can't believe that I just read that. Seriously? Who the HELL recruits and signs..."your players"?
    ---That quote was used with the quotes on the struggles with 3 pointers and that being the major culprit in the season's disappointments---no doubt that it was, but my point is that it seems that opponents get much better looks at 3s than we do

have no idea statistically if this is accurate but the time between getting the ball and shooting just seems so quick for us

Opponents seem to have very open guys---possibly this is the reason for the drop of the 3 point shooting %

and Wronk is the surprising shooter

Oh would I love to have some 3 point guys like L Rock and Cal Irvine

but who mentioned recruiting???

I'll mention it. One of the areas of agreement I've found here is that we need to upgrade the talent on the team.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---That quote was used with the quotes on the struggles with 3 pointers and that being the major culprit in the season's disappointments---no doubt that it was, but my point is that it seems that opponents get much better looks at 3s than we do

have no idea statistically if this is accurate but the time between getting the ball and shooting just seems so quick for us

Opponents seem to have very open guys---possibly this is the reason for the drop of the 3 point shooting %

Who recruits them, Boomer? Marlin is a good defensive coach who can't coach offense and seems to not have a good eye for talent at the guard position, and/or can't close the deal on better recruits.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I did. How can a coach say that he's limited because of his players...when HE is the one that recruited and signed his players. If a coach wants better players...find and sign them!

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    I did. How can a coach say that he's limited because of his players...when HE is the one that recruited and signed his players. If a coach wants better players...find and sign them!
    ---Guys the question is OBVIOUSLY an agreement that we are being out recruited by the afore mentioned LR and Cal-I

-Why can't we get guys like them that can shoot the all important difference maker

the 3 point shot!!!

The quote was confusing BC Luke mentioned that all of this was said during his interview but I think that the quote about his players was in the past about the inconsistent 3 point shooting.

With Walker, Long, and Hedge gone, it seems Marlin is committed to a small lineup with Washington and Plaissance being the two "big" guys. Next year will be very telling of Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    With Walker, Long, and Hedge gone, it seems Marlin is committed to a small lineup with Washington and Plaissance being the two "big" guys. Next year will be very telling of Marlin
    You mean the .500 record through 6 years hasn't?

Mel has swayed me a bit in my thinking on the Marlin situation, but the results speak for themselves. Yes, I'd prefer a team that's being built and managed correctly, from school to the court, but again, we need better results. I don't hate the guy, I just want to see our program get out of purgatory.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    I believe the inside player from Kentucky who just committed is more likely to play significant minutes than Plaisance. He has a body already built for the college game. I also think we sign one more inside guy.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I believe the inside player from Kentucky who just committed is more likely to play significant minutes than Plaisance. He has a body already built for the college game. I also think we sign one more inside guy.
    I'm assuming you mean 6'7" forward Justin Miller. I was running down the roster and "new" players who may see the court next hear for the first time.

Already on roster:
    RS-FR Jerekius Davis, 6'6" forward
    RS-FR Kadavion Evans, 5'11" guard
    RS-JR Frank Bartley IV, 6'3" guard

True Freshmen (commits)
    Herman Williams, 6'2" guard
    Roydell Brown, 6'5" forward
    Justin Miller, 6'7" forward

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I agree that Miller will likely be a contributor. If the current players on the roster and committed are who we will be playing with next year, Marlin will have to change his offensive game to put more emphasis on inside play, as only Wright is a decent outside shooter.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    You mean the .500 record through 6 years hasn't?

Mel has swayed me a bit in my thinking on the Marlin situation, but the results speak for themselves. Yes, I'd prefer a team that's being built and managed correctly, from school to the court, but again, we need better results. I don't hate the guy, I just want to see our program get out of purgatory.
    He will lose a lot in pre conference. Finish 2nd to 4th in regular season. Win a game in tournament and get to quarter finals CBI.

FarmerBROWN will give him an extension because you don't want this hot commodity hanging around without a full four year payday.

Blog Entries

...?
    That statement would be very Baldwinesk if those "players" hadn't led the conference in 3pt the year before.

Baldwin blamed the Jims and Joes as well, but his comments were not based on diminished production.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    That statement would be very Baldwinesk if those "players" hadn't led the conference in 3pt the year before.

Baldwin blamed the Jims and Joes as well, but his comments were not based on diminished production.
    We led the league in 3 pt percentage last year...where did that get us? So what else was it last year that wasn't bob's fault?

Well... the women just won the championship game of the WBI..... while attempting only 6 three point shots, and making only 2. Against an opponent that was mostly successful in stopping Kiki and Kia from driving the lane.. Bob would have just packed it in, since what he likes to do wasn't working. Garry found a way to win. It wasn't pretty, but it was a W.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast