Thread: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

Support Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

Scaling back TOPS scholarships, merging college campuses, giving universities more authority to raise their own tuition and restructuring the boards that govern higher education are among the proposals affecting Louisiana's post-secondary institutions lawmakers will debate over the coming months.

None of these concepts are new to the Louisiana Legislature, and almost all of them already have been proposed and defeated in previous years. But the pressure to change the status quo and implement structural changes across higher education is at a boiling point, as legislators grapple with potentially doling out the eighth straight year of cuts to colleges.
    http://theadvocate.com/news/15189807...akers#comments

Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

There needs to be some serious merging of college campuses, elimination of redundant administrative staffing and also redundant programs. There's plenty of fat in Louisiana's higher education system. Pork might actually be the better word.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    There needs to be some serious merging of college campuses, elimination of redundant administrative staffing and also redundant programs. There's plenty of fat in Louisiana's higher education system. Pork might actually be the better word.
    I agree, we should lobby to our legislature.

Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

They'll pass it, then goes to a vote probably this fall. Gives the politicians cover, "it's what the people voted for" should it be approved by the electorate.

By the time my daughter hits college age...Louisiana higher education might not have any budget left. But those 15 Conservation funds will be strong.

By the time she hits college age she may have already topped out on Louisiana higher education.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Less universities with higher funding and stronger research would equal better educations.

More vocational schools would bring more skilled labor jobs due to a more skilled workforce. Win win IMO.

While I agree Louisiana needs TOPS reform, higher education reform/reduction, and changes in overall management of higher education, forgive me if this doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I don't trust our legislators to get this right or to put the needs of higher education as a whole ahead of the needs of one school.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    While I agree Louisiana needs TOPS reform, higher education reform/reduction, and changes in overall management of higher education, forgive me if this doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I don't trust our legislators to get this right or to put the needs of higher education as a whole ahead of the needs of one school.
    I don't get the warm fuzzies, either; but I think the three "Statewide Universities" have enough political capital to protect ourselves, assuming we work together. Then again, that is a HUGE assumption.

I cant imagine ANY legislator willingly allowing a major employer in their area to be shuttered. Political suicide and we know that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    I agree.

It's unfortunate, but screw feelings on the survival of the entire system.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    It's unfortunate, but screw feelings on the survival of the entire system.
    Indeed; but we still need to team up with the other Statewide Universities to make sure the idiots in Baton Rouge understand the difference between UL and McNeese is not just 70 miles of I-10.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Indeed; but we still need to team up with the other Statewide Universities to make sure the idiots in Baton Rouge understand the difference between UL and McNeese is not just 70 miles of I-10.
    Well, that's a quagmire. To LSU we all suck. The only banding together would the be the defined statewide universities, UNO, Ruston and UL. That leaves all the regionally defined universities. They outnumber us. Thank you Uncle Huey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    I cant imagine ANY legislator willingly allowing a major employer in their area to be shuttered. Political suicide and we know that's not going to happen.
    This right here. These State Universities are usually one of the biggest employers in the cities they're located in. Good luck getting politicians to vote to ahnilate the economies of these cities. And yes, this includes Lafayette.

There may be a shot at closing a school like SUNO, but there's no way they'll touch schools like Northwestern or Nicholls.

But even if you do merge a school, you still have to pay the costs of replacing the infrastructure and staff in a different location. I don't know of any schools in Louisiana with the infrastructure in place to take on thousands upon thousands of new students.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This right here. These State Universities are usually one of the biggest employers in the cities they're located in. Good luck getting politicians to vote to ahnilate the economies of these cities. And yes, this includes Lafayette.

There may be a shot at closing a school like SUNO, but there's no way they'll touch schools like Northwestern or Nicholls.

But even if you do merge a school, you still have to pay the costs of replacing the infrastructure and staff in a different location. I don't know of any schools in Louisiana with the infrastructure in place to take on thousands upon thousands of new students.
    You don't have to close campi; just merge schools. No reason to have three university presidents and all the ancillary folks that go with that, and 3 Deans of Liberal Arts, and 3 Deans of Business, etc. when you can have one of each, supervising multiple campi. Plus ALL graduate programs and research facilities can be shifted to the Statewides.

LTU-Ruston
    LTU-Monroe
    LTU-Natchitoches

UL-Lafayette
    UL-Lake Charles
    UL-Alexandria

UNO
    UNO-Northshore
    UNO-Thibodaux

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Forgive me, but statements like this are the primary reason why Louisiana continues to operate like a 3 ring circus. Our politicians continue to focus more on their political futures rather than solving the financial problems that plague Louisiana.

Louisiana has far too many public universities that under perform and are a burden to taxpayers. Consolidation is part of the answer, but closing some Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges must enter the equation as well. This is a list of Louisiana's Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges. As you look over it can you honestly say we need each and every one of these schools?

Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges
    Louisiana State University System
    Louisiana State University at Alexandria
    Louisiana State University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Louisiana State University at Eunice
    Louisiana State University in Shreveport
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport
    Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge
    Southern University System
    Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Southern University at New Orleans
    Southern University at Shreveport
    Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge
    University of Louisiana System
    Grambling State University, Grambling
    Louisiana Tech University, Ruston
    McNeese State University, Lake Charles
    Nicholls State University, Thibodaux
    Northwestern State University, Natchitoches
    Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond
    University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette
    University of Louisiana at Monroe
    University of New Orleans
    Louisiana Community and Technical College System
    Baton Rouge Community College
    Bossier Parish Community College
    Delgado Community College, New Orleans area
    L.E. Fletcher Technical Community College, Schriever
    Louisiana Delta Community College
    Louisiana Technical College (40 campuses)
    Elaine P. Nunez Community College, Chalmette
    River Parishes Community College, Sorrento
    South Louisiana Community College, Lafayette
    SOWELA Technical Community College, Lake Charles

Blog Entries

Forgive me, but statements like this are the primary reason why Louisiana continues to operate like a 3 ring circus. Our politicians continue to focus more on their political futures rather than solving the financial problems that plague Louisiana.

Louisiana has far too many public universities that under perform and are a burden to taxpayers. Consolidation is part of the answer, but closing some Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges must enter the equation as well. This is a list of Louisiana's Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges. As you look over it can you honestly say we need each and every one of these schools?

Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges
    Louisiana State University System
    Louisiana State University at Alexandria
    Louisiana State University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Louisiana State University at Eunice
    Louisiana State University in Shreveport
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport
    Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge
    Southern University System
    Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Southern University at New Orleans
    Southern University at Shreveport
    Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge
    University of Louisiana System
    Grambling State University, Grambling
    Louisiana Tech University, Ruston
    McNeese State University, Lake Charles
    Nicholls State University, Thibodaux
    Northwestern State University, Natchitoches
    Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond
    University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette
    University of Louisiana at Monroe
    University of New Orleans
    Louisiana Community and Technical College System
    Baton Rouge Community College
    Bossier Parish Community College
    Delgado Community College, New Orleans area
    L.E. Fletcher Technical Community College, Schriever
    Louisiana Delta Community College
    Louisiana Technical College (40 campuses)
    Elaine P. Nunez Community College, Chalmette
    River Parishes Community College, Sorrento
    South Louisiana Community College, Lafayette
    SOWELA Technical Community College, Lake Charles
    Whatever happened to SCLSU??

Here we go, close Universities to give the state more "get the democrats more money, to they will continue to vote democrat"

Any chance there will be a recall vote on this A** wipe.

GEAUX CAJUNS