Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,073

    Support Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Scaling back TOPS scholarships, merging college campuses, giving universities more authority to raise their own tuition and restructuring the boards that govern higher education are among the proposals affecting Louisiana's post-secondary institutions lawmakers will debate over the coming months.

    None of these concepts are new to the Louisiana Legislature, and almost all of them already have been proposed and defeated in previous years. But the pressure to change the status quo and implement structural changes across higher education is at a boiling point, as legislators grapple with potentially doling out the eighth straight year of cuts to colleges.
    http://theadvocate.com/news/15189807...akers#comments

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    There needs to be some serious merging of college campuses, elimination of redundant administrative staffing and also redundant programs. There's plenty of fat in Louisiana's higher education system. Pork might actually be the better word.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prairieville, LA
    Posts
    857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    There needs to be some serious merging of college campuses, elimination of redundant administrative staffing and also redundant programs. There's plenty of fat in Louisiana's higher education system. Pork might actually be the better word.
    I agree, we should lobby to our legislature.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,502

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    They'll pass it, then goes to a vote probably this fall. Gives the politicians cover, "it's what the people voted for" should it be approved by the electorate.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    By the time my daughter hits college age...Louisiana higher education might not have any budget left. But those 15 Conservation funds will be strong.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,798

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    By the time she hits college age she may have already topped out on Louisiana higher education.


  7. #7
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,146

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Less universities with higher funding and stronger research would equal better educations.

    More vocational schools would bring more skilled labor jobs due to a more skilled workforce. Win win IMO.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,073

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    While I agree Louisiana needs TOPS reform, higher education reform/reduction, and changes in overall management of higher education, forgive me if this doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I don't trust our legislators to get this right or to put the needs of higher education as a whole ahead of the needs of one school.


  9. #9
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,175

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    While I agree Louisiana needs TOPS reform, higher education reform/reduction, and changes in overall management of higher education, forgive me if this doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I don't trust our legislators to get this right or to put the needs of higher education as a whole ahead of the needs of one school.
    I don't get the warm fuzzies, either; but I think the three "Statewide Universities" have enough political capital to protect ourselves, assuming we work together. Then again, that is a HUGE assumption.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    I cant imagine ANY legislator willingly allowing a major employer in their area to be shuttered. Political suicide and we know that's not going to happen.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, La
    Posts
    3,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    There needs to be some serious merging of college campuses, elimination of redundant administrative staffing and also redundant programs. There's plenty of fat in Louisiana's higher education system. Pork might actually be the better word.
    I agree.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, La
    Posts
    3,330

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    It's unfortunate, but screw feelings on the survival of the entire system.


  13. #13
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,175

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    It's unfortunate, but screw feelings on the survival of the entire system.
    Indeed; but we still need to team up with the other Statewide Universities to make sure the idiots in Baton Rouge understand the difference between UL and McNeese is not just 70 miles of I-10.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,502

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Indeed; but we still need to team up with the other Statewide Universities to make sure the idiots in Baton Rouge understand the difference between UL and McNeese is not just 70 miles of I-10.
    Well, that's a quagmire. To LSU we all suck. The only banding together would the be the defined statewide universities, UNO, Ruston and UL. That leaves all the regionally defined universities. They outnumber us. Thank you Uncle Huey.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    I cant imagine ANY legislator willingly allowing a major employer in their area to be shuttered. Political suicide and we know that's not going to happen.
    This right here. These State Universities are usually one of the biggest employers in the cities they're located in. Good luck getting politicians to vote to ahnilate the economies of these cities. And yes, this includes Lafayette.

    There may be a shot at closing a school like SUNO, but there's no way they'll touch schools like Northwestern or Nicholls.

    But even if you do merge a school, you still have to pay the costs of replacing the infrastructure and staff in a different location. I don't know of any schools in Louisiana with the infrastructure in place to take on thousands upon thousands of new students.

  16. #16
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,175

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This right here. These State Universities are usually one of the biggest employers in the cities they're located in. Good luck getting politicians to vote to ahnilate the economies of these cities. And yes, this includes Lafayette.

    There may be a shot at closing a school like SUNO, but there's no way they'll touch schools like Northwestern or Nicholls.

    But even if you do merge a school, you still have to pay the costs of replacing the infrastructure and staff in a different location. I don't know of any schools in Louisiana with the infrastructure in place to take on thousands upon thousands of new students.
    You don't have to close campi; just merge schools. No reason to have three university presidents and all the ancillary folks that go with that, and 3 Deans of Liberal Arts, and 3 Deans of Business, etc. when you can have one of each, supervising multiple campi. Plus ALL graduate programs and research facilities can be shifted to the Statewides.

    LTU-Ruston
    LTU-Monroe
    LTU-Natchitoches

    UL-Lafayette
    UL-Lake Charles
    UL-Alexandria

    UNO
    UNO-Northshore
    UNO-Thibodaux

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,073

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    I cant imagine ANY legislator willingly allowing a major employer in their area to be shuttered. Political suicide and we know that's not going to happen.
    Forgive me, but statements like this are the primary reason why Louisiana continues to operate like a 3 ring circus. Our politicians continue to focus more on their political futures rather than solving the financial problems that plague Louisiana.

    Louisiana has far too many public universities that under perform and are a burden to taxpayers. Consolidation is part of the answer, but closing some Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges must enter the equation as well. This is a list of Louisiana's Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges. As you look over it can you honestly say we need each and every one of these schools?

    Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges
    Louisiana State University System
    Louisiana State University at Alexandria
    Louisiana State University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Louisiana State University at Eunice
    Louisiana State University in Shreveport
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport
    Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge
    Southern University System
    Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Southern University at New Orleans
    Southern University at Shreveport
    Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge
    University of Louisiana System
    Grambling State University, Grambling
    Louisiana Tech University, Ruston
    McNeese State University, Lake Charles
    Nicholls State University, Thibodaux
    Northwestern State University, Natchitoches
    Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond
    University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette
    University of Louisiana at Monroe
    University of New Orleans
    Louisiana Community and Technical College System
    Baton Rouge Community College
    Bossier Parish Community College
    Delgado Community College, New Orleans area
    L.E. Fletcher Technical Community College, Schriever
    Louisiana Delta Community College
    Louisiana Technical College (40 campuses)
    Elaine P. Nunez Community College, Chalmette
    River Parishes Community College, Sorrento
    South Louisiana Community College, Lafayette
    SOWELA Technical Community College, Lake Charles

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    1,850
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    Forgive me, but statements like this are the primary reason why Louisiana continues to operate like a 3 ring circus. Our politicians continue to focus more on their political futures rather than solving the financial problems that plague Louisiana.

    Louisiana has far too many public universities that under perform and are a burden to taxpayers. Consolidation is part of the answer, but closing some Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges must enter the equation as well. This is a list of Louisiana's Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges. As you look over it can you honestly say we need each and every one of these schools?

    Louisiana Public Universities, Colleges, and Technical Colleges
    Louisiana State University System
    Louisiana State University at Alexandria
    Louisiana State University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Louisiana State University at Eunice
    Louisiana State University in Shreveport
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport
    Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge
    Southern University System
    Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
    Southern University at New Orleans
    Southern University at Shreveport
    Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge
    University of Louisiana System
    Grambling State University, Grambling
    Louisiana Tech University, Ruston
    McNeese State University, Lake Charles
    Nicholls State University, Thibodaux
    Northwestern State University, Natchitoches
    Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond
    University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette
    University of Louisiana at Monroe
    University of New Orleans
    Louisiana Community and Technical College System
    Baton Rouge Community College
    Bossier Parish Community College
    Delgado Community College, New Orleans area
    L.E. Fletcher Technical Community College, Schriever
    Louisiana Delta Community College
    Louisiana Technical College (40 campuses)
    Elaine P. Nunez Community College, Chalmette
    River Parishes Community College, Sorrento
    South Louisiana Community College, Lafayette
    SOWELA Technical Community College, Lake Charles
    Whatever happened to SCLSU??

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default Re: Bills filed to change TOPS, make it easier to close universities by lawmakers

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    Here we go, close Universities to give the state more "get the democrats more money, to they will continue to vote democrat"

    Any chance there will be a recall vote on this A** wipe.

    GEAUX CAJUNS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •