Thread: NCAA Votes On Allowing Conferences with Fewer Than 12 teams to Hold Championship Games

NCAA NCAA Votes On Allowing Conferences with Fewer Than 12 teams to Hold Championship Games

Big decision on the future of the Big 12 today.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...llowing_c.html

Default Re: NCAA Votes Today On Allowing Conferences with Fewer Than 12 teams to Hold Championship Game

Looks like it has passed, Conferences with less than 12 can have a championship game only if it plays a round robin schedule...

Time to give New Mexico St and Idaho the boot..

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Default Re: NCAA Votes Today On Allowing Conferences with Fewer Than 12 teams to Hold Championship Game

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Looks like it has passed, Conferences with less than 12 can have a championship game only if it plays a round robin schedule...

I don't know if the SBC members will want to play a round robin schedule. Many of them like or need the extra non-conference games for paydays or for just good competition.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I don't know if the SBC members will want to play a round robin schedule. Many of them like or need the extra non-conference games for paydays or for just good competition.
    Yes we would have to have a 9 game conference schedule

Yes we would have to have a 9 game conference schedule
    I know. The league may not want to go that route because they don't want to give up non conference games.

Blog Entries

Suddenly a 9 team conference is the perfect size.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Suddenly a 9 team conference is the perfect size.
    Ha, go round robin and ULM drops out. Then you have 8 games and still get as many money games as they want.

Perfect outcome.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm sure we'll see NMST and Idaho leaving the conference before long.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Ha, go round robin and ULM drops out. Then you have 8 games and still get as many money games as they want.

Perfect outcome.
    I must say that your logic is devastating.....

MelRock is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: NCAA Votes On Allowing Conferences with Fewer Than 12 teams to Hold Championship Games

If you play everyone then why do you need a conference game. They knew the rules and chose not to expand, I would have said screw you.

Default Re: NCAA Votes On Allowing Conferences with Fewer Than 12 teams to Hold Championship Games

According to the Big 12 commissioner's statement there are two ways to have a title game now.
    1. Play a full round robin and pit #1 vs. #2.
    2. Split into equal or as equal as you can get divisions, play everyone in your division and pit the two division champs.

So if we wanted in 2016 we could divide into two divisions which would likely be Idaho, NMSU, TXST, UL, ULM, AState and a division of USA, Troy, GaSt, GaSo, App (or AState could go east or better yet Idaho could go east) and as long as everyone in plays everyone in their division you are good to go.

Down the road if Idaho and NMSU are dropped we could play nine games and have 1 play 2 or we could split east west with AState, UL, ULM, TXST and USA in the west and Troy, Coastal, GaSo, GaSt, App in the east, play everyone in division and four crossover games for an 8 game schedule and match the two division champs.

I'm not crazy about a title game but I'd rather have two divisions of 5 each than hang on to Idaho and NMSU or add two move ups just to get to 12. Can't see AState voting in favor of 9 game schedule, we were adamantly opposed when GaSo tried to propose a 9 game schedule before.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Arkstfan View Post
    According to the Big 12 commissioner's statement there are two ways to have a title game now.
    1. Play a full round robin and pit #1 vs. #2.
    2. Split into equal or as equal as you can get divisions, play everyone in your division and pit the two division champs.

So if we wanted in 2016 we could divide into two divisions which would likely be Idaho, NMSU, TXST, UL, ULM, AState and a division of USA, Troy, GaSt, GaSo, App (or AState could go east or better yet Idaho could go east) and as long as everyone in plays everyone in their division you are good to go.

Down the road if Idaho and NMSU are dropped we could play nine games and have 1 play 2 or we could split east west with AState, UL, ULM, TXST and USA in the west and Troy, Coastal, GaSo, GaSt, App in the east, play everyone in division and four crossover games for an 8 game schedule and match the two division champs.

I'm not crazy about a title game but I'd rather have two divisions of 5 each than hang on to Idaho and NMSU or add two move ups just to get to 12. Can't see AState voting in favor of 9 game schedule, we were adamantly opposed when GaSo tried to propose a 9 game schedule before.
    So that's y'all and ULMOST as sure no votes. I'm thinking It's a dead heat. Nine games I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So that's y'all and ULMOST as sure no votes. I'm thinking It's a dead heat. Nine games I'm loving it.
    And we love having four dates and prefer playing an AAC or Big XII or SEC or ACC or high MAC at home over a 9th Sun Belt.

Tulsa SMU Iowa State, or Miami vs playing Georgia State or Coastal hummm tough call.

But if y'all like the easier schedule more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkstfan View Post
    And we love having four dates and prefer playing an AAC or Big XII or SEC or ACC or high MAC at home over a 9th Sun Belt.

Tulsa SMU Iowa State, or Miami vs playing Georgia State or Coastal hummm tough call.

But if y'all like the easier schedule more power.
    Our AD can't get much over here beyond Boise and a bunch of MAC teams. 9 game schedule is what Farmer wants.

15. NCAA Conference football title-game rule passes

It remains to be seen if the Sun Belt will decide to stage a championship game

I wonder what the Big 12 had to give up to get this vote passed?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Our AD can't get much over here beyond Boise and a bunch of MAC teams. 9 game schedule is what Farmer wants.
    If your primary goal is to go to a Bowl game, then you favor a 9 game SBC schedule.

If your primary goal is to make an Access Bowl, then you favor an 8 game SBC schedule.

How high do we want to set the bar for this football program?

stAte is setting theirs pretty high. latech is setting theirs pretty high. USM is setting theirs pretty high.