Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Take me out of the Sun Belt

Default Re: Take me out of the Sun Belt

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Gotchya.
    I think (not you per se) people underestimate the new breed of fan UL athletics is incubating. At present time, there is a ground swell of hardcore base forming around Lafayette, and it's been forming for 5-7 years. Unfortunately, that core can not put us over the top financially, for obvious reasons, but the tenacity is definitely there. If we alienate that new core, by the time they are in a position to donate substantial dollars, they will no longer be interested. It's what's happened over the last 40 years, prior to this new window of opportunity we've been given.

We are not LISTENING to the advice we PAID for, and that is troubling. Actually, it's infuriating. How many hardcore Cajun fans (that have the ability to do something about it) will stand by and watch us miss yet another train?
    I think you just hit the nail on the head regarding the "New Breed of Fans" that started about 5-7. (I think it really started after Authement retired in 2008)
    The New Breed expects UL to compete at the Div I level with much better and consistent results than in the past. The days of beating a team like Texas A&M and erecting a ridiculous monument to celebrate a fluke victory is over. When we play a top 20 team now it's to win not to just put up a good performance with the hope of only losing by two touchdowns.

Our baseball and softball programs are already there. Football and basketball are next.

With that said, "Take me out of the Sun Belt"!!!!!!

United we stand Divided we will fall and Fail!

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Blind As A Bat View Post

I don't know the answer, but what is the great importance of getting away from the Foundation--I can understand if they in anyway control RCAF decisions (in anyway.... and that I do not know)

But there has to be a huge cost savings in working the money through what to me is an RCAF bank without the fees---I have mentioned my experiences in the past of swapping money from some of my Foundations accounts to athletics with no problem

Somebody can answer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I don't know the answer, but what is the great importance of getting away from the Foundation--I can understand if they in anyway control RCAF decisions (in anyway.... and that I do not know)

But there has to be a huge cost savings in working the money through what to me is an RCAF bank without the fees---I have mentioned my experiences in the past of swapping money from some of my Foundations accounts to athletics with no problem

Somebody can answer!!!

Boomer, we spent all summer (last summer) explaining why this was important. And to pile on, it's more of a power grab at this point. The more influence the board has, and less influence basically everyone in Martin Hall has, the better for every RCAF donor involved.

Boomer, we spent all summer (last summer) explaining why this was important. And to pile on, it's more of a power grab at this point. The more influence the board has, and less influence basically everyone in Martin Hall has, the better for every RCAF donor involved.

I remember talking about the costs for RCAF if they had added all the costs of moving from the Foundation (I think M-Rock had a figure from his fund raising days)---also I think Cajun-T mentioned some rules that had institutional control even if moved from the Foundation---Again I am just wondering why this moving seems to be the panacea for us---I like the fact that we have chosen a leader, he sends out a monthly news letter, he has the points system almost going, he has opened up discussions, etc

-From other posts on here, we are not nearly where we need to be and

Don't want this to be an arguing deal, just maybe a refresher!!!

Blog Entries

Somebody can answer!!!

You know how guilty parties are often put on probation and not given the keys to the city?

About 15 years ago I came upon a document that showed how much UL was making on Ragin' Cajuns athletic gear. I don't recall the numbers except it was a hefty sum.

My recollection (and I may be off) was that Authement was using the money to support the Foundation instead of athletics.

Later he sent David Walker to miraculously find $1,000,000 in the athletic coffers.

I may be connecting unconnectable dots, but to me probation should include zero appearance of possible impropriety or the potential for hands in the cookie jar.

From other posts on here, we are not nearly where we need to be
    This is definitely a valid statement. I guess, I agree with those other post.

Since the RCAF started and the positive changes are rippling through the various Athletic programs our expectations have gone up exponentially. We are not there yet. Just look at what we've accomplished in the last 7 years we've won 4 bowl games. Had a baseball team that ended the regular season ranked number 1 in the country and a girls softball team that is consistently playing in and hosting regionals and super regionals. Even the men's and women's basketball teams have improved.

The new point system will be an added plus for encouraging donations and providing fair season ticket and post season ticket distribution.

I totally agree that we're not quite there yet but, we're heading there. (now back to the topic) I believe that getting out of the Sunbelt and into a better conference should be our next major goal.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I remember talking about the costs for RCAF if they had added all the costs of moving from the Foundation (I think M-Rock had a figure from his fund raising days)---also I think Cajun-T mentioned some rules that had institutional control even if moved from the Foundation---Again I am just wondering why this moving seems to be the panacea for us---I like the fact that we have chosen a leader, he sends out a monthly news letter, he has the points system almost going, he has opened up discussions, etc
    -From other posts on here, we are not nearly where we need to be and
    Don't want this to be an arguing deal, just maybe a refresher!!!
    I seem to remember the main idea was it becomes a 501C (?) non-profit organization which means the finances are public records to which all the members would have access. If I am correct in this, it may be the main reason the administration doesn't want this to happen.

Blog Entries

Somebody can answer!!!

Boomer, without complete separation from the UL Foundation RCAF has no autonomy and transparency. We were told from the beginning that there would be complete separation from the UL Foundation once the bylaws were set and in place. UL would still have some oversight over RCAF for mandatory auditing purposes. I've been told the delay has been associated with establishing the bylaws, but I've spoken to three separate attorneys now on the subject of 501C's and it does not take this long to get it accomplished. You mentioned fees and I've heard this mentioned as well, but fees are negotiable and shouldn't be a deal breaker in accomplishing complete separation when you consider what the present fees are today for a much larger UL Foundation.

In my opinion and others, the separation is necessary to move forward and gain the trust of current and future donors. Right now that is not the case for many, nor is it how most athletic foundations are run. One other note, because it is not separated Harris is currently working under Scott Farmer despite denials for those in the know. He was supposed to work in coordination with our AD and not directed by him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blind As A Bat View Post
    A house built upon deception is surely a foundation that will fail!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Boomer, without complete separation from the UL Foundation RCAF has no autonomy and transparency. We were told from the beginning that there would be complete separation from the UL Foundation once the bylaws were set and in place. UL would still have some oversight over RCAF for mandatory auditing purposes. (1) I've been told the delay has been associated with establishing the bylaws, but I've spoken to three separate attorneys now on the subject of 501C's and it does not take this long to get it accomplished. You mentioned fees and I've heard this mentioned as well, but fees are negotiable and shouldn't be a deal breaker in accomplishing complete separation when you consider what the present fees are today for a much larger UL Foundation.

(2) In my opinion and others, the separation is necessary to move forward and gain the trust of current and future donors. Right now that is not the case for many, nor is it how most athletic foundations are run. One other note, because it is not separated (3) Harris is currently working under Scott Farmer despite denials for those in the know. He was supposed to work in coordination with our AD and not directed by him.
    (1) - As I said earlier, there are people within the UL Foundation purposely delaying and manipulating this very thing. It's not about fees, establishing bylaws, etc. It's a power struggle, period.

(2) - There are donors that are withholding money (and donors that give minimal amounts withholding more money) SPECIFICALLY because of the refusal to separate RCAF. Some of them post on RP.

(3) - This is, 100% fact.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Boomer, without complete separation from the UL Foundation RCAF has no autonomy and transparency. We were told from the beginning that there would be complete separation from the UL Foundation once the bylaws were set and in place. UL would still have some oversight over RCAF for mandatory auditing purposes. I've been told the delay has been associated with establishing the bylaws, but I've spoken to three separate attorneys now on the subject of 501C's and it does not take this long to get it accomplished. You mentioned fees and I've heard this mentioned as well, but fees are negotiable and shouldn't be a deal breaker in accomplishing complete separation when you consider what the present fees are today for a much larger UL Foundation.

In my opinion and others, the separation is necessary to move forward and gain the trust of current and future donors. Right now that is not the case for many, nor is it how most athletic foundations are run. One other note, because it is not separated Harris is currently working under Scott Farmer despite denials for those in the know. He was supposed to work in coordination with our AD and not directed by him.

AAaaaggghhh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You know how guilty parties are often put on probation and not given the keys to the city?

About 15 years ago I came upon a document that showed how much UL was making on Ragin' Cajuns athletic gear. I don't recall the numbers except it was a hefty sum.

My recollection (and I may be off) was that Authement was using the money to support the Foundation instead of athletics.

Later he sent David Walker to miraculously find $1,000,000 in the athletic coffers.

I may be connecting unconnectable dots, but to me probation should include zero appearance of possible impropriety or the potential for hands in the cookie jar.
    Attire sales weren't that great 15 years ago Turbine, it's been during our recent runs in football and hosting regionals in baseball and softball they've been their highest. I think the last numbers I read placed UL in the top 65 NCAA programs in attire sales?

If I remember right, because you mentioned this took place about 15 years back, Dr. Authement was confronted because UL's actual state transfer for athletics was less then Grambling that year, while he kept the extra $1 mil on the university side. I think a monthly publication called Home Town Sports had a big article with graphs showing the state transfers for each university in the UL System at the time and raised questions.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

(1) - As I said earlier, there are people within the UL Foundation purposely delaying and manipulating this very thing. It's not about fees, establishing bylaws, etc. It's a power struggle, period.

(2) - There are donors that are withholding money (and donors that give minimal amounts withholding more money) SPECIFICALLY because of the refusal to separate RCAF. Some of them post on RP.

Pepole are sick and tired of this resistance, and we will remain at the Sun Belt level until this stops. A couple of spark plug wires are missing and the Cajun juggernaut is sputtering down the road. It's hard to justify investing in a machine that's going to be sabotaged.

not to pile on, but I think this may be some of the 'resistance' cal-Cajun discusses..... I received a call last night from the foundation and a. they said they were calling from Univ.... "at Lafayette" and b. my name was mispronounced (my name ends in 'eaux' by the way) I am plenty used to mispronunciations but from the Cajun heartland itself??? very odd.

Attire sales weren't that great 15 years ago Turbine, it's been during our recent runs in football and hosting regionals in baseball and softball they've been their highest. I think the last numbers I read placed UL in the top 65 NCAA programs in attire sales?

If I remember right, because you mentioned this took place about 15 years back, Dr. Authement was confronted because UL's actual state transfer for athletics was less then Grambling that year, while he kept the extra $1 mil on the university side. I think a monthly publication called Home Town Sports had a big article with graphs showing the state transfers for each university in the UL System at the time and raised questions.
    ---This brings up an interesting point---Who gets the revenue for all the Cajun gear? How does it work for on-campus sites as compared to different chains? Does the Athletic Dept get a %? Wonder if the Alumni Assc. have to pay for its supplies? T--have you tried to get RCAF guys on your show---now that would get some listeners and give them the questions before hand so they don't have to find out!!!

Blog Entries

Attire sales weren't that great 15 years ago ...
    The document I saw was in the range of $600,000 I have zero recollection of how that broke down.

Blog Entries

---This brings up an interesting point---Who gets the revenue for all the Cajun gear? How does it work for on-campus sites as compared to different chains? Does the Athletic Dept get a %? Wonder if the Alumni Assc. have to pay for its supplies? T--have you tried to get RCAF guys on your show---now that would get some listeners and give them the questions before hand so they don't have to find out!!!
    The number used to be 8% of sale on items they didn't have to touch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The document I saw was in the range of $600,000 I have zero recollection of how that broke down.
    Don't recall, but I do remember the most recent numbers put us around top #65 in attire sales in the past few years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast