Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Take me out of the Sun Belt

Default Re: Take me out of the Sun Belt

Quote Originally Posted by NuForce View Post
    Just about any Div 1 conference is better than the SunBelt and CUSA. If we're wishing for a conference that's a big step-up why not go to the Big 12? Tougher conference but, much better recruiting prospects. Also, less travel than the AAC. Plus, do you really want to play a crappy school like Tulane every year?
    Lol. I'm sure we would love to "go" to the Big 12 but its a two way street. We can't just open the door and say "here we are".There are a lot of things that we have to get in order to become a primary target of any conference, much less the Big 12. While I love the aspiration, we might need to have more grounded expectations about a more logical step prior to that invite. Lets just get our house in order and get into another conference first and then we can do what we have to do there.

I realize that this is an old thread on an even older topic, but with the recent renegotiated C-USA TV deal and the next ball game a few days away, perhaps we can waste some of our valuable time beating this dead horse again.

Does most everyone here still believe C-USA is the place to be? I want out of the Belt as much as the next guy, but I guess I just have my sights set quite a bit higher, especially with the costs involved.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

NCAA participants

SBC two teams, three if you forward count Coastal.

CUSA four teams.

almost two hosts too?? I apologize if this was discussed on another thread, but any reason in particular a #12 RPI team such as the chanticleers are not hosting? seems like a great place for a tourney (barring another hurricane)

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Lol. I'm sure we would love to "go" to the Big 12 but its a two way street. We can't just open the door and say "here we are". There are a lot of things that we have to get in order to become a primary target of any conference, much less the Big 12. While I love the aspiration, we might need to have more grounded expectations about a more logical step prior to that invite. Lets just get our house in order and get into another conference first and then we can do what we have to do there.
    Zephyr, I agree with you 100%. We definitely need to get our house in order before we make that sort of move. I just don't see C-USA as that big of a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by NuForce View Post
    Zephyr, I agree with you 100%. We definitely need to get our house in order before we make that sort of move. I just don't see C-USA as that big of a step up.
    C-USA (in my opinion) is a lateral move. Half the teams playing in C-USA are ex-Sunbelt schools. What else is needed in "get our house in order" before we get an invitation to join a better, more respected conference? I can't imagine another university in this country that has done the same or more than UL has done with the money, budget and economy in improving its facilities as well as produce on the field and classes.

I understand our budget royally sucks and the RCAF has helped out tremendously to improve our coaching pool candidates as well as our facilities. Unfortunately, the RCAF was started about 20 years too late. It is amazing what they have done in the short time period since its inception (Kudo's to RCAF). But what other criteria are needed besides the bottom line to get us noticed and become a wanted, desired item? Our facilities, not just athletics, have and are being built and improved.

Again, this is just my opinion, but by getting into a more prestigious conference, Big 12, AAC....SEC, (NOT CUSA), we would instantly gain the ability to recruit better athletes on the whole. We have tremendous athletes here now, but usually there is only a stud or two. By being in a better conference, we would have the chance to get more studs per recruiting class in all sports.

Forever a Ragin Cajun!

Peace,

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    C-USA (in my opinion) is a lateral move. Half the teams playing in C-USA are ex-Sunbelt schools. What else is needed in "get our house in order" before we get an invitation to join a better, more respected conference? I can't imagine another university in this country that has done the same or more than UL has done with the money, budget and economy in improving its facilities as well as produce on the field and classes.

I understand our budget royally sucks and the RCAF has helped out tremendously to improve our coaching pool candidates as well as our facilities. Unfortunately, the RCAF was started about 20 years too late. It is amazing what they have done in the short time period since its inception (Kudo's to RCAF). But what other criteria are needed besides the bottom line to get us noticed and become a wanted, desired item? Our facilities, not just athletics, have and are being built and improved.

Again, this is just my opinion, but by getting into a more prestigious conference, Big 12, AAC....SEC, (NOT CUSA), we would instantly gain the ability to recruit better athletes on the whole. We have tremendous athletes here now, but usually there is only a stud or two. By being in a better conference, we would have the chance to get more studs per recruiting class in all sports.

Forever a Ragin Cajun!

Peace,
    I was trying, TRYING to keep it zipped. This is by far the best time of year to be a Cajun fan. And I'll have plenty of time this summer to lambaste the administration for what is currently going down, but let me say a few things:

RCAF, as you've said, has made some nice progress. While late, I don't think it's inception was way too late. The true issue here is, the ceiling of the RCAF. While many of us here think our core board members have stroke (and some of them do), the majority of people don't realize just how much their hands are tied. There is a reason membership from heavy donors is lagging behind. There are actually people ACTIVELY trying to undermine a full separation of RCAF. At first, it seemed like it was just typical "drag our feet" way of doing things. It is now KNOWN what's really happening.

There are many reasons why we aren't pursuing a move in conference and there are many reasons why we aren't being pursued. One of the BIGGEST reasons is offices held by certain individuals. It is not a secret that our President was advised to make a myriad of changes. It should come as NO surprise to anyone that our President has not taken that advice, to date. In fact, quite the opposite has occurred. More on that in the summer...

What if, instead of making new threads about Name complaints, and apparel deals, and conference troubles, and not enough money, and worrying about Tech & Tulane.. What if we got a hold of Mike Alden's email and started asking our own questions? Instead of berating ESPN personalities, we started inundating Savoie's office with emails and calls? How about we get a hold of the disaster of a marketing and branding department that we have and start by saying we're tired of the embarrassment that comes with being the school with no name? (Maybe a better question would be, how is this man still employed here?) What if we inundate Scott Farmer's office with calls and emails about when he said his goal was to get us into a better conference, but has done the opposite? I'd also like to know why I, as an RCAF member, donor to multiple different areas of the program, and season ticket holder of 4 sports, was lied to about the working relationship (and hiring process) of Mr. Jim Harris? Why have his hands been tied? Why so many road blocks at every turn?

We need to stop looking outward and look inward for what ails us.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I was trying, TRYING to keep it zipped. This is by far the best time of year to be a Cajun fan. And I'll have plenty of time this summer to lambaste the administration for what is currently going down, but let me say a few things:

RCAF, as you've said, has made some nice progress. While late, I don't think it's inception was way too late. The true issue here is, the ceiling of the RCAF. While many of us here think our core board members have stroke (and some of them do), the majority of people don't realize just how much their hands are tied. There is a reason membership from heavy donors is lagging behind. There are actually people ACTIVELY trying to undermine a full separation of RCAF. At first, it seemed like it was just typical "drag our feet" way of doing things. It is now KNOWN what's really happening.

There are many reasons why we aren't pursuing a move in conference and there are many reasons why we aren't being pursued. One of the BIGGEST reasons is offices held by certain individuals. It is not a secret that our President was advised to make a myriad of changes. It should come as NO surprise to anyone that our President has not taken that advice, to date. In fact, quite the opposite has occurred. More on that in the summer...

What if, instead of making new threads about Name complaints, and apparel deals, and conference troubles, and not enough money, and worrying about Tech & Tulane.. What if we got a hold of Mike Alden's email and started asking our own questions? Instead of berating ESPN personalities, we started inundating Savoie's office with emails and calls? How about we get a hold of the disaster of a marketing and branding department that we have and start by saying we're tired of the embarrassment that comes with being the school with no name? (Maybe a better question would be, how is this man still employed here?) What if we inundate Scott Farmer's office with calls and emails about when he said his goal was to get us into a better conference, but has done the opposite? I'd also like to know why I, as an RCAF member, donor to multiple different areas of the program, and season ticket holder of 4 sports, was lied to about the working relationship (and hiring process) of Mr. Jim Harris? Why have his hands been tied? Why so many road blocks at every turn?

We need to stop looking outward and look inward for what ails us.
    Those are easy questions to answer. It's because there are very few people who feel the way some of you do about this and because none of you have the courage to do it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Those are easy questions to answer. It's because there are very few people who feel the way some of you do about this and because none of you have the courage to do it.
    Courage to ask whom what?

LMAO.
    Ok, Turrl, you obviously don't know me very well... I can't speak for the majority, but some people are plenty courageous to ask the tough questions.

And btw, "very few" is inaccurate. Even if it were true, its because the great majority of Cajun fans are casual fans. They could care less how business is run because they have come to expect NOTHING from our athletic department. Hence the low RCAF number (relatively speaking).

Blog Entries

LMAO.
    Ok, Turrl, you obviously don't know me very well... I can't speak for the majority, but some people are plenty courageous to ask the tough questions.
    The definition of stupidity is to ask the same people that Alden's report outlined their insufficiency and failures, the tough questions. Their answers are never in full disclosure and fall short of results they have produced. Outside of doing exactly what they were advised to do by Alden, media and branding experts, there is nothing else to discuss with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The definition of stupidity is to ask the same people that Alden's report outlined their insufficiency and failures, the tough questions. Their answers are never in full disclosure and fall short of results they have produced. Outside of doing exactly what they were advised to do by Alden, media and branding experts, there is nothing else to discuss with any of them.
    Yea, but you have to know that going in. We're not in it for 'answers'. We're in it for distance and irritation. Put pressure on the bastards. Watch them squirm until some changes are made.

Blog Entries

Yea, but you have to know that going in. We're not in it for 'answers'. We're in it for distance and irritation. Put pressure on the bastards. Watch them squirm until some changes are made.
    Alden is a hired consultant, he will not answer questions via email or in person. Good luck getting your emails through to Dr. SAVOIE, his right hand person screens them daily. I think we will get some answers very soon if you don't see the video & production equipment and trucks purchased soon.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Alden is a hired consultant, he will not answer questions via email or in person. Good luck getting your emails through to Dr. SAVOIE, his right hand person screens them daily. I think we will get some answers very soon if you don't see the video & production equipment and trucks purchased soon.
    THIS X's 1 QUADTRILLION......

LMAO.

And btw, "very few" is inaccurate. Even if it were true, its because the great majority of Cajun fans are casual fans. They could care less how business is run because they have come to expect NOTHING from our athletic department. Hence the low RCAF number (relatively speaking).
    I wasn't talking about asking questions. You talked about " inundating Savoie's office with emails and calls" and "inundate Scott Farmer's office with calls and emails about when he said his goal was to get us into a better conference, but has done the opposite." That is what I was talking about you (plural) not having the courage to do.

And yes, I don't know you very well, but you have made yourself very obvious in your actions as well as your comments. I have no doubt that you are one of the few people with the courage and tenacity to follow through on what you would say that you would do. But the casualness of the fans is the very point I can make about those who do not feel the way you do. They are casual, you are hardcore, that's why it's not important to them to take action like those who feel like you do.

If you think there are enough people disgruntled with how things are being done with conference realignment and everything else in regards to Cajun athletics, gather them together and follow through on what you want to do. I doubt you could find more than a few dozen people who feel as you do, and even fewer to take action. But work on it, you may surprise me, and I would like to be proven wrong. I would like to see this engine move faster than it is, perhaps you can be the fuel that drives it. If you aren't successful, at least you will have tried.

That does not mean he would not see them, especially if you send them in numbers he cannot ignore. I tell you what, though, if you can get at least 250 people willing to email him, I will see what I can do to be helpful to you.

I wasn't talking about asking questions. You talked about " inundating Savoie's office with emails and calls" and "inundate Scott Farmer's office with calls and emails about when he said his goal was to get us into a better conference, but has done the opposite." That is what I was talking about you (plural) not having the courage to do.

And yes, I don't know you very well, but you have made yourself very obvious in your actions as well as your comments. I have no doubt that you are one of the few people with the courage and tenacity to follow through on what you would say that you would do. But the casualness of the fans is the very point I can make about those who do not feel the way you do. They are casual, you are hardcore, that's why it's not important to them to take action like those who feel like you do.

If you think there are enough people disgruntled with how things are being done with conference realignment and everything else in regards to Cajun athletics, gather them together and follow through on what you want to do. I doubt you could find more than a few dozen people who feel as you do, and even fewer to take action. But work on it, you may surprise me, and I would like to be proven wrong. I would like to see this engine move faster than it is, perhaps you can be the fuel that drives it. If you aren't successful, at least you will have tried.
    Gotchya.
    I think (not you per se) people underestimate the new breed of fan UL athletics is incubating. At present time, there is a ground swell of hardcore base forming around Lafayette, and it's been forming for 5-7 years. Unfortunately, that core can not put us over the top financially, for obvious reasons, but the tenacity is definitely there. If we alienate that new core, by the time they are in a position to donate substantial dollars, they will no longer be interested. It's what's happened over the last 40 years, prior to this new window of opportunity we've been given.

We are not LISTENING to the advice we PAID for, and that is troubling. Actually, it's infuriating. How many hardcore Cajun fans (that have the ability to do something about it) will stand by and watch us miss yet another train?

Blog Entries

That does not mean he would not see them, especially if you send them in numbers he cannot ignore. I tell you what, though, if you can get at least 250 people willing to email him, I will see what I can do to be helpful to you.
    Terri, I understand what you are saying and I'm not speaking for anyone else. I had an opportunity to speak with Dr. Savoie yesterday had I stayed around longer at the baseball selection gathering. I had the opportunity to speak with him the weekend at the softball regional, but left afterwards. I see no reason to speak to him on the subject at this time because, 1) We were promised that RCAF would separate from the UL Foundation and hire a full time fundraiser that would work along side AD Scott Farmer. Well the RCAF is not separated from the UL Foundation and Harris isn't working in coordination with Farmer, but basically under him. Neither has been delivered as we were told. 2) The first plan of action from the Alden report is to build our media and marketing brand through our own production capabilities. Therefor we can produce our own content of sports events and right now contractually bundle them to ESPN. In the future when the SBC TV contract comes up for renegotiation, we can keep our bundling rights and approach other networks including CST in the region. The first step in addressing that need is to purchase the video production equipment and trucks. That has supposedly been addressed by Dr. Savoie although there has been no public discussion on the matter.

At this point, I'm not interested in hearing anymore hoopla from RCAF Board members or this administration until I actually see that these commitments have been finally realized. Their promises and updates really don't mean anything to me right now. If others want to email Dr. Savoie, they are more then welcome to do so, but I'm waiting for him to deliver what was promised with RCAF. At some point RCAF and our president need to deliver what was promised in their public campaigns.

Terrell, I understand what you are saying and I'm not speaking for anyone else. I had an opportunity to speak with Dr. Savoie yesterday had I stayed around longer at the baseball selection gathering. I had the opportunity to speak with him the weekend at the softball regional, but left afterwards. I see no reason to speak to him on the subject at this time because, 1) We were promised that RCAF would separate from the UL Foundation and hire a full time fundraiser that would work along side AD Scott Farmer. Well the RCAF is not separated from the UL Foundation and Harris isn't working in coordination with Farmer, but basically under him. Neither has been delivered as we were told. 2) The first plan of action from the Alden report is to build our media and marketing brand through our own production capabilities. Therefor we can produce our own content of sports events and right now contractually bundle them to ESPN. In the future when the SBC TV contract comes up for renegotiation, we can keep our bundling rights and approach other networks including CST in the region. The first step in addressing that need is to purchase the video production equipment and trucks. That has supposedly been addressed by Dr. Savoie although there has been no public discussion on the matter.

At this point, I'm not interested in hearing anymore hoopla from RCAF Board members or this administration until I actually see that these commitments have been finally realized. Their promises and updates really don't mean anything to me right now. If others want to email Dr. Savoie, they are more then welcome to do so, but I'm waiting for him to deliver what was promised with RCAF. At some point RCAF and our president need to deliver what was promised in their public campaigns.
    Understood. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Understood. Thank you.
    Sorry, I should know better since my older bother is a Terrell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast