Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,811

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    When that regionality does return, I would like to see us in the following conference:

    SWC

    West - Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, N. Texas, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State
    East - Memphis, Tulane, Louisiana, UCF, USF, S. Miss, Ark. State, LA Tech
    I think there will always be 2 "best of" conferences in the G5. The MWC and the AAC. The regionality will be with the rest. The MAC is already regional. What you will see will be a reshuffling of the SBC/CUSA schools along regional lines. That may be 2 conferences. That may be 3 conferences. And there will be some that miss the boat altogether.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    When that regionality does return, I would like to see us in the following conference:

    SWC

    West - Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, N. Texas, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State
    East - Memphis, Tulane, Louisiana, UCF, USF, S. Miss, Ark. State, LA Tech
    Regionality will be the by product of the reduction in travel cost for most of the bottom of the G5. Once the dust settles, UL will be in a conference with former Sun Belt members and some of the current CUSA members. Other then the MWC and the AAC, conference television contracts will be rendered irrelevant with little to no value to ESPN. The next big changes coming down the road will be in television contract alliances between the Top 25 programs of the G5, specifically in historical RPI. They will have some leverage in negotiating with ESPN and FS1 because the P5 programs will want to schedule against those Top 25 G5 programs because of the NCAA Playoff System. If your program is not part of that G5 alliance, you will be pretty much irrelevant in college football regardless of you conference affiliation.

    Next shakeup coming down the pike will be in the number of college football bowl games. ESPN is involved with a majority of the bowl games and with the fiscal cuts coming from Disney, look for ESPN to cut ties with a number of lower bowls to reduce cost and focus mainly on the Top bowl games today. When that happens in the next few years, a number of the bowls with contract ties to the SBC, CUSA and MAC will be gone without that money. The next few years will be critical for UL, not just in raising money but positioning themselves in branding, budget and alliances.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,811

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Regionality will be the by product of the reduction in travel cost for most of the bottom of the G5. Once the dust settles, UL will be in a conference with former Sun Belt members and some of the current CUSA members. Other then the MWC and the AAC, conference television contracts will be rendered irrelevant with little to no value to ESPN. The next big changes coming down the road will be in television contract alliances between the Top 25 programs of the G5, specifically in historical RPI. They will have some leverage in negotiating with ESPN and FS1 because the P5 programs will want to schedule against those Top 25 G5 programs because of the NCAA Playoff System. If your program is not part of that G5 alliance, you will be pretty much irrelevant in college football regardless of you conference affiliation.
    Agree completely T.

    We continue to take care of business, we will be alright. I also think the NOLA Bowl will survive. Everybody wants to party in NOLA, and I think the optimun tie-ins for that bowl would be US, either independently or through whatever conference we will be in and an at-large major program. That would be a top attended bowl every year.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Agree completely T.

    We continue to take care of business, we will be alright. I also think the NOLA Bowl will survive. Everybody wants to party in NOLA, and I think the optimun tie-ins for that bowl would be US, either independently or through whatever conference we will be in and an at-large major program. That would be a top attended bowl every year.
    I'm not certain the NO Bowl will make the cut Nation, but the New Orleans Greater Sports Association may have the funds to keep it going without ESPN. The big question will be how do you get it on television nationally if ESPN washes their hands, Fox Sports? I'm not certain they would have any leverage with Fox Sports. Its too early to tell right now exactly how things will fall, but its clear now that the MWC and the AAC will protect their own interest and not make any moves unless the Big 12 expands, taking a few members. Otherwise, we had better be working hard to get ourselves in the Top of the G5 in RPI, otherwise the new facilities and increase funding won't matter much to those in that New Alliance.

  5. #25
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,653

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Agree completely T.

    We continue to take care of business, we will be alright. I also think the NOLA Bowl will survive. Everybody wants to party in NOLA, and I think the optimun tie-ins for that bowl would be US, either independently or through whatever conference we will be in and an at-large major program. That would be a top attended bowl every year.
    I hope you are right, but withholding 6.5 mil from athletics and hiring an Exec Director for RCAF that had been previously unemployed does not bode well for us.

    Z

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Regionality will be the by product of the reduction in travel cost for most of the bottom of the G5. Once the dust settles, UL will be in a conference with former Sun Belt members and some of the current CUSA members. Other then the MWC and the AAC, conference television contracts will be rendered irrelevant with little to no value to ESPN. The next big changes coming down the road will be in television contract alliances between the Top 25 programs of the G5, specifically in historical RPI. They will have some leverage in negotiating with ESPN and FS1 because the P5 programs will want to schedule against those Top 25 G5 programs because of the NCAA Playoff System. If your program is not part of that G5 alliance, you will be pretty much irrelevant in college football regardless of you conference affiliation.

    Next shakeup coming down the pike will be in the number of college football bowl games. ESPN is involved with a majority of the bowl games and with the fiscal cuts coming from Disney, look for ESPN to cut ties with a number of lower bowls to reduce cost and focus mainly on the Top bowl games today. When that happens in the next few years, a number of the bowls with contract ties to the SBC, CUSA and MAC will be gone without that money. The next few years will be critical for UL, not just in raising money but positioning themselves in branding, budget and alliances.
    The MWC and AAC each have 12 members so that is 24. The Top 25 programs would have to include teams other than from those conferences as some members of those conferences are not necessarily quality programs. Would you see those conferences expanding to include schools that make the Top 25 list that are not already in those conferences like Marshall, N. Illinois or Louisiana?

    If not and, as you say, UL will be part of a more regional SBC and CUSA conference rather than what I said I would (perhaps unrealistically) like to see, then what we would be looking at is a split in the two conferences along Eastern and Western lines.

    If our only option becomes a split of the SBC and CUSA schools, I would envision some kind of scenario like the following:

    Western Conference

    UTEP, UTSA, TX State, Rice, UNT, Louisiana, Ark State, N. Texas, LA Tech, USM, MT, USA

    Eastern Conference

    Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, GA Southern, App State, GA State, FIU, FAU, Troy, ULM, WKU, UAB

    That said, if ESPN does cut ties with a number of bowls with ties to the SBC, CUSA and MAC, and there are no longer guaranteed bowl games for those conferences, would you see UL benefitting by going Independent in football? Would that be a better path to the G5 Alliance and say an AAC conference invite? Independence today doesn't make sense because of all of the conference bowl tie-ins, but under that scenario, is it plausible or suicide?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, La
    Posts
    3,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Good question.....

    Answer lies in why would anyone pay millions to get into the Sunbelt? My best guess....IMO Talks must have happened to drop football only members. They are doing what is needed to save their football team. Allows Sunbelt to drop Idaho, keep NMSU. Then becomes travel partner with TSU for indoor sports.
    It's NMSU only hope to stay in fBS football. They will have to go Indy or drop down. MW will not take them.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,811

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post

    Western Conference

    UTEP, UTSA, TX State, Rice, UNT, Louisiana, Ark State, N. Texas, LA Tech, USM, MT, USA

    Eastern Conference

    Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, GA Southern, App State, GA State, FIU, FAU, Troy, ULM, WKU, UAB
    Throw out Troy and ULM. They won't make it. Move MT and USA to the eastern conference.

    The western conference will not HAVE TO be at 12. More likely that if they go beyond 9, some mix of these will do, NMSU, Missouri State, and even Wichita State as non-FB member.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    The MWC and AAC each have 12 members so that is 24. The Top 25 programs would have to include teams other than from those conferences as some members of those conferences are not necessarily quality programs. Would you see those conferences expanding to include schools that make the Top 25 list that are not already in those conferences like Marshall, N. Illinois or Louisiana?

    If not and, as you say, UL will be part of a more regional SBC and CUSA conference rather than what I said I would (perhaps unrealistically) like to see, then what we would be looking at is a split in the two conferences along Eastern and Western lines.

    If our only option becomes a split of the SBC and CUSA schools, I would envision some kind of scenario like the following:

    Western Conference

    UTEP, UTSA, TX State, Rice, UNT, Louisiana, Ark State, N. Texas, LA Tech, USM, MT, USA

    Eastern Conference

    Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, GA Southern, App State, GA State, FIU, FAU, Troy, ULM, WKU, UAB

    That said, if ESPN does cut ties with a number of bowls with ties to the SBC, CUSA and MAC, and there are no longer guaranteed bowl games for those conferences, would you see UL benefitting by going Independent in football? Would that be a better path to the G5 Alliance and say an AAC conference invite? Independence today doesn't make sense because of all of the conference bowl tie-ins, but under that scenario, is it plausible or suicide?
    That doesn't mean all of the MWC and the ACC are assured to be ranked in the G5 TOP 25. A number of them haven't finished the season in the Top 60 RPI of college football in recent years. To my knowledge, there are 18 G5 programs that are not Tier 1 Universities. UL has no chance with any of the AAC programs voting for them without becoming a Tier 1 university, no medical school or law school. If you are in the Top 65 in RPI, the P5 will schedule your program because it doesn't hurt their schedule strength and RPI.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    That doesn't mean all of the MWC and the ACC are assured to be ranked in the G5 TOP 25. A number of them haven't finished the season in the Top 60 RPI of college football in recent years. To my knowledge, there are 18 G5 programs that are not Tier 1 Universities. UL has no chance with any of the AAC programs voting for them without becoming a Tier 1 university, no medical school or law school. If you are in the Top 65 in RPI, the P5 will schedule your program because it doesn't hurt their schedule strength and RPI.
    There are 30 G5 schools that are not Tier 1. Memphis is the only school in the AAC that is not Tier 1. Let's hope UL can achieve that status in the next couple of years. The other conferences have a number of schools that are not Tier 1, including prominent football schools like Boise State, Marshall, N. Illinois and Fresno State.

    AAC - Memphis
    MWC - Boise State, Utah State, SJSU, UNLV, Fresno State
    MAC - N. Illinois, Akron, Toledo E. Michigan
    CUSA - Marshall, W. KY, FIU, FAU, ODU, MTSU, N. TX, UTEP, USM, UTSA
    SBC - Louisiana, ULM, USA, Ark. State, TX State, App State, GA State, GA Southern, Troy, CCU

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    There are 30 G5 schools that are not Tier 1. Memphis is the only school in the AAC that is not Tier 1. Let's hope UL can achieve that status in the next couple of years. The other conferences have a number of schools that are not Tier 1, including prominent football schools like Boise State, Marshall, N. Illinois and Fresno State.

    AAC - Memphis
    MWC - Boise State, Utah State, SJSU, UNLV, Fresno State
    MAC - N. Illinois, Akron, Toledo E. Michigan
    CUSA - Marshall, W. KY, FIU, FAU, ODU, MTSU, N. TX, UTEP, USM, UTSA
    SBC - Louisiana, ULM, USA, Ark. State, TX State, App State, GA State, GA Southern, Troy, CCU
    If the AAC is your goal, then we have a long way to go. The MWC is not a fit for UL, so other then the AAC I'm not sure we are going to be in any other conference other then something regionally with current and former SBC members in the near future. Memphis will eventually move to a Tier I, if they want to compete with their peers.

    This is why Boise State has never been in serious consideration for the Big 12 and PAC 12, they simply don't meet the criteria of either conference academically.

    Our opportunity to be part of the new alliance in the new future will be determined by a number of factors, not just winning percentage.

  12. #32
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,693

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    This is entirely my opinion, but I see the next add coming next summer. I think the presidents couldn't agree on the 14th school to be a full member to go along with NMSU. I hear Liberty nearly got the votes. I'm speculating that the holdouts are giving schools like Missouri State and James Madison one more year to get their minds right. If they don't, you will probably see Liberty or EKU added. NMSU will be full member regardless.
    ---Cusa geography is also a mess---divide it into the West and East schools of both conferences and it would make too much sense---This has been put on here in the wish conference for years!!

  13. #33
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Cusa geography is also a mess---divide it into the West and East schools of both conferences and it would make too much sense---This has been put on here in the wish conference for years!!
    6.5 million withheld by tjoe. No rush for tier 1. Hiring an rcaf director who was previously unemployed. There is your destiny.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    If the AAC is your goal, then we have a long way to go. The MWC is not a fit for UL, so other then the AAC I'm not sure we are going to be in any other conference other then something regionally with current and former SBC members in the near future. Memphis will eventually move to a Tier I, if they want to compete with their peers.

    This is why Boise State has never been in serious consideration for the Big 12 and PAC 12, they simply don't meet the criteria of either conference academically.

    Our opportunity to be part of the new alliance in the new future will be determined by a number of factors, not just winning percentage.
    Why not make the AAC our goal? Athletics needs to let Dr. S know the importance of Tier 1 for conference realignment and he can determine the criteria needed and our deficiencies in meeting those. If LA Tech is in we can't be that far behind. If you are talking Doc 1, that is a different story. We need more PhDs to get there and Dr. S can tell us how close we are. Just this week there was another article by the LA State Treasurer stating Louisiana needs another Med School and Lafayette is where it needs to be. UL needs to work its legislators to make this happen.

    Now that the APC is finished, that might spur more donations towards getting the stadium finished. We need to continue to win, win another bowl game and play ourselves into
    a Top 25 G5 Alliance spot. That would make UL attractive if the AAC expands. Until then, go to the CUSA if it presents itself and keep working towards the above. Don't know how long before the G5 declare the Top 25 alliance, but our AD and President need to formally state these as goals so that everyone can get on board towards that end. Don't do that and we are doomed to where we are and it is our fault for not setting those goals.

  15. #35
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,693

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Why not make the AAC our goal? Athletics needs to let Dr. S know the importance of Tier 1 for conference realignment and he can determine the criteria needed and our deficiencies in meeting those. If LA Tech is in we can't be that far behind. If you are talking Doc 1, that is a different story. We need more PhDs to get there and Dr. S can tell us how close we are. Just this week there was another article by the LA State Treasurer stating Louisiana needs another Med School and Lafayette is where it needs to be. UL needs to work its legislators to make this happen.

    Now that the APC is finished, that might spur more donations towards getting the stadium finished. We need to continue to win, win another bowl game and play ourselves into
    a Top 25 G5 Alliance spot. That would make UL attractive if the AAC expands. Until then, go to the CUSA if it presents itself and keep working towards the above. Don't know how long before the G5 declare the Top 25 alliance, but our AD and President need to formally state these as goals so that everyone can get on board towards that end. Don't do that and we are doomed to where we are and it is our fault for not setting those goals.

    -We are in a 2 fold searching adventure

    We want in a new conference and we need a larger athletic budget to get there---We want in a new conference and we need more funding to get sufficient PHDs---At this point it would seem that one gets the money or some type of breakdown that one side would get too much and another to little---Just wondering what would you guys do as an administrator!!!!


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    -We are in a 2 fold searching adventure

    We want in a new conference and we need a larger athletic budget to get there---We want in a new conference and we need more funding to get sufficient PHDs---At this point it would seem that one gets the money or some type of breakdown that one side would get too much and another to little---Just wondering what would you guys do as an administrator!!!!

    Focus on Tier 1 with USN&WR now. Don't need more PhDs. Doc 1 can come later.

  17. #37
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,693

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Focus on Tier 1 with USN&WR now. Don't need more PhDs. Doc 1 can come later.
    ---I had always thought that the number of doctoral degrees was a huge factor in the USN's rankings

    Do you are anybody else know the criteria of the rankings??


  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---I had always thought that the number of doctoral degrees was a huge factor in the USN's rankings

    Do you are anybody else know the criteria of the rankings??

    It doesn't. Tech does not offer as many PhDs as we do yet is Tier 1. It has a bunch of subjective categories. No reason we cannot meet them

  19. #39
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,693

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    It doesn't. Tech does not offer as many PhDs as we do yet is Tier 1. It has a bunch of subjective categories. No reason we cannot meet them

    Perhaps it is the number of grad students enrolled!!1


  20. #40
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,237

    Default Re: NMSU Offered Sun Belt $4.4M To Join SBC as FULL MEMBER

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    Perhaps it is the number of grad students enrolled!!1

    Perhaps it is your boy t-josephine trying to avoid drawing attention to UL. Sure looks like it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •