Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 622

Thread: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

  1. #601
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,945
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Imagine a defense giving this offense the ball back time and time again and with good field position
    It's going to be cool... and it's coming to a football field near you very soon.

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldalum View Post
    Where is there any evidence that we have ever had the talent to win against any SEC team, much less a middle of the pack SEC team. We have lost 38 in a row against the SEC. I'd say that is pretty compelling evidence we have never had the talent to compete with any SEC team.

    I really want this team to make it over the hump but we can't win with motivation. We need to make a bit stronger move in talent to be able to compete with the top five conferences.

    I really want a top 25 ranking in football and basketball. That's not going to come this season in either sport. How much longer do we have to wait?
    What evidence? You think ulm, wku, Troy, Georgia southern are just stacked with superior talent than we are? It's just as much a mindset as it is talent. The talent is here.

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    All of those schools have accomplished something we never have accomplished. I didn't ask if you have evidence that they had talent to win against the SEC. I asked what evidence you have that WE CAN COMPLETE. 0-38 says we have NEVER accomplished what those schools have accomplished. You say the talent is here, so do you blame the coaching staff?

    I say we are close. I also say we are close to being a top 40 team. the difference between us and the teams ranked 26-40 is minimal. Evidence that we are there comes in the form of a victory, not comparing us with other mid-major teams that have done something we never have.

    Those same schools would use your argument to say that they are close to being ranked #1 in the nation in baseball!


  4. #604
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,945
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by oldalum View Post
    Where is there any evidence that we have ever had the talent to win against any SEC team, much less a middle of the pack SEC team. We have lost 38 in a row against the SEC. I'd say that is pretty compelling evidence we have never had the talent to compete with any SEC team.

    I really want this team to make it over the hump but we can't win with motivation. We need to make a bit stronger move in talent to be able to compete with the top five conferences.

    I really want a top 25 ranking in football and basketball. That's not going to come this season in either sport. How much longer do we have to wait?
    96% of the SEC games you're referring to were played when USL wasn't anywhere close to our current capabilities... and 96% of those SEC teams were middle to upper SEC programs. And you point to exactly what I've been pointing out. We can't or shouldn't have talent, man for man, on par with P5 teams. But just like other G5 teams that upset P5 programs... we have the talent that an intelligent risk approach coach can battle and beat lower tier SEC (and other P5 programs) about half of the contests.

    One issue under Hud so far is that we haven't played the lower tier P5 teams. We've played the historically better teams. We caught Florida in an off year and should have beat them. That was a late coaching failure. No one watching that game that wouldn't know us or Florida would have been able to tell you who had the best "talent" that day. They probably would have said, "definitely the team in the red". And we grossly underprepared for Arkansas. They were a good SEC team... and are proving it now.

    If your comment on "motivation" is referring to Hud... I hear you. He has hit the wall on how much more a bundle of energy and a great speech will do against a high caliber opponent. But I absolutely guarantee you that some fundamentals at certain positions on defense... and overall scheme... has sucked under Hud's watch. I see it getting way better. But I'm sorry... we have no more lower to middle tier SEC teams to play this year. But I'm still correct.

    Just pointing to talent alone... and not including what it takes to take down a better team... isn't an argument for me. It takes stepping up the risk. I won't give us wins over middle to upper SEC teams. I'd only give us respectable games... if we increased the risk.

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,345

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    I agree with the talent. Our starters have the talent and some backups...the problem though is depth. Most small schools have to develop talent because we do not get the blue chippers. The upper level SEC teams can change most players and see little or no drop off. That is a HUGE advantage, especially in August. Also, sounds obvious, but as long as you stay in the game you always have a chance against SEC teams. Once you fall behind big and have to abandon the game plan you are doomed. I like that we play Georgia next year late in the season. That helps.


  6. #606
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldalum View Post
    All of those schools have accomplished something we never have accomplished. I didn't ask if you have evidence that they had talent to win against the SEC. I asked what evidence you have that WE CAN COMPLETE. 0-38 says we have NEVER accomplished what those schools have accomplished. You say the talent is here, so do you blame the coaching staff?

    I say we are close. I also say we are close to being a top 40 team. the difference between us and the teams ranked 26-40 is minimal. Evidence that we are there comes in the form of a victory, not comparing us with other mid-major teams that have done something we never have.

    Those same schools would use your argument to say that they are close to being ranked #1 in the nation in baseball!
    Florida Arizona and Kentucky are obvious evidence we can compete... Our conference mates who have beaten sec schools are evidence we have the talent to compete and win those games. So yeah, then it's the coaching.

  7. #607
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,945
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I agree with the talent. Our starters have the talent and some backups...the problem though is depth. Most small schools have to develop talent because we do not get the blue chippers. The upper level SEC teams can change most players and see little or no drop off. That is a HUGE advantage, especially in August. Also, sounds obvious, but as long as you stay in the game you always have a chance against SEC teams. Once you fall behind big and have to abandon the game plan you are doomed. I like that we play Georgia next year late in the season. That helps.
    Even though we do have solid talent, it does take stepping up the game plan against SEC or other P5 teams (if you truly intend to turn the game in your favor). Is there a small chance you can play "your game" and "hang around"? Perhaps. But if you've watched other G5 teams take on SEC and other P5 programs, it wasn't just good fortune that created the upsets. They took risks. They prepared those risks into their repertoire. It was part and parcel to their game planning and execution. They became dangerous teams not in a single game, but every time they took on a "more talented" opponent. You can't be talent starved. But UL is far from talent starved at any position on the field (first team). If our coaches coach up to take on better opponents, we're a scary team to play.

  8. #608
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,945
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Florida Arizona and Kentucky are obvious evidence we can compete... Our conference mates who have beaten sec schools are evidence we have the talent to compete and win those games. So yeah, then it's the coaching.
    It is. I've watched other teams with our level of talent "do the impossible". It had everything to do with increasing the risk/reward in the game preparation. And that's on the coaches.

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,256
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by oldalum View Post
    Where is there any evidence that we have ever had the talent to win against any SEC team, much less a middle of the pack SEC team. We have lost 38 in a row against the SEC. I'd say that is pretty compelling evidence we have never had the talent to compete with any SEC team.

    I really want this team to make it over the hump but we can't win with motivation. We need to make a bit stronger move in talent to be able to compete with the top five conferences.

    I really want a top 25 ranking in football and basketball. That's not going to come this season in either sport. How much longer do we have to wait?
    How much longer are we going to be in the SBC? People want Top 25 results in the SBC in Football and Basketball, but up until now what were you recruiting to? Is it possible for a our football program to perform above our conference level, sure if Saturday and the bowl wins over East Carolina, San Diego State and Nevada are any indication. But there is a huge difference between being a Top 25 team in baseball and softball in the SBC and Football and Basketball period. I will say this again, when we have achieved the tradition in either sport that we have in baseball and softball, things will change for the better. I don't see much more of ceiling in the SBC for either sport in the near future and a lot of that has to do with scheduling.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,458

    Default Re: Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Kentucky

    We had the ball, tied game, 6 min to go, chance to win.. And we lost the TO battle 4-1. That's minus 3. On the road. SEC talent and speed. With a TWO first year starting QBs, Freshman WR playing key roles, new coaches across the defensive board, and a UK offensive coordinator we had no film on..

    THAT says we have the talent hoss...


  11. #611
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Hud said today the negative turnovers equates to 14 points


Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •