Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 278

Thread: Coastal Carolina

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    No doubt it does nothing to increase the football brand, but does it not help CC accelerate their football program build by a quicker introduction to the FBS? I like their addition in the Olympic sports. Their baseball exploits have created a pretty decent overall brand addition to the SBC. I like anything in the Carolinas. And it isn't like we need another Georgia Southern coming in and taking an 8-0 football title that we haven't even seen yet. In all reality, what exactly could the SBC do to improve the football brand at this point?
    1) Add Coastal Carolina for Olympic Sports only for now. It addresses the travel coast concerns for App. State across the board. Allow them to build the facilities and when they are ready add football if they are indeed the best option after 2017.2) Continue to improve your football programs from within the SBC, Georgia State still hasn't won a game against an FBS opponent yet. A conference championship game adds nothing to the SBC without a sponsor and a television agreement with ESPN or FOX Sports to televise the game. It will only add more expenses to the conference otherwise. 3) 2017 is D-day for the Sun Belt Conference Television package, Benson will find out exactly how much the SBC brand is valued. ESPN is cutting back on expenses because of Disney, the network is going to look at all of their deals with bowl games, especially the lower tier bowls. Fox Sports could be an option at that point. 4) Beyond 2017, they may have to make a decision if Idaho decides to drop football to FCS more then likely we could see another SLC program like Sam Houston or McNeese State added to the SBC.

    There are a lot of unknowns right now in NCAA sports, there was no rush to grab Coastal Carolina at this time as a full member. Where are they going to go? Their baseball and basketball are solid, but do we want to be another Missouri Valley?

    Yea I know, what are we supposed to do? What are we supposed to do?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    2,574

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Let's quit getting our azzes kicker by all these supposedly horrible teams. We gave wku their first fbs win, we got destroyed by south Al with a championship on the line, we got destroyed by app state with a championship on the line at home. We are 1 incredible pass play away from giving Georgia state their first fbs win at home. You are what your record says you are. You are associated by the people you beat and the people you get your azz kicked by. Everyone gets pssd off when people from other conferences say they want nothing to do with us but yet some do the same here. Let's make sure we aren't CCU's first FBS win before we go running our mouths
    +1

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    2,574

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post

    FACT: We are in a league with Idaho and NMSU. I would wager that CCU will be better than either of them in short order.

    FACT: Of the last two FCS teams we added, one beat us and the other won the league championship.

    FACT: Those two programs both have higher profile wins over FBS schools in the last 10 years than we do in the history of our program.

    FACT: We still have not won the SBC outright.

    FACT: If we want to improve our perception, we need to beat out of conference opponents from leagues that are perceived to be better.
    +1

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Let's quit getting our azzes kicker by all these supposedly horrible teams. We gave wku their first fbs win, we got destroyed by south Al with a championship on the line, we got destroyed by app state with a championship on the line at home. We are 1 incredible pass play away from giving Georgia state their first fbs win at home. You are what your record says you are. You are associated by the people you beat and the people you get your azz kicked by. Everyone gets pssd off when people from other conferences say they want nothing to do with us but yet some do the same here. Let's make sure we aren't CCU's first FBS win before we go running our mouths
    Who is a horrible team the Hudspeth lost to? App State or Louisiana Tech? Look, I get he needs to win games like that to change perception of the program. But all the guy has done is win four straight bowl games and out together four consecutive seasons that have never been seen in the history of this program.

    Fans on this board want Hud and his staff to go out and recruit against programs above the SBC just because we built an APC? Yet the staff is going to have go out and sell athletes on cuts in the program like travel cost, another bus trip to Jonesboro? Coach Marlin will have to endure the same cuts for basketball, but both staff's are supposed to recruit above the SBC? It amazes me that so many people can't see it, but demand it. But at the same time, won't demand the president of this university take some money out of his back pocket to fully fund athletics, while he is planning on price gauging his RCAF supporters for a SBC product. We are eventually going to get what your conference yields in recruiting. Everyone keeps talking about just keep winning and things will take care of itself. Perhaps, but what I don't see a bunch of four start athletes lining up to sign with Ragin' Cajuns Football to play in the SBC and bus trips while your competitors are flying. We better enjoy Hudspeth while we have him period.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,808

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    They're better than nearly half the current football members right now. Definitely need to make huge strides growing their fan base but the quality on the field will be there when they join

    Came close to beating NDSU in the quarterfinals last year and have been to the FCS playoffs 4 of last 5 years
    C'mon wcd. Don't rain on the whine and cheese crowd. They are very happy today in their misery, and they want you to be miserable too.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,808

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    They have to play a year of FCS transitional so they can't play in the SBC until 2017 and can't be bowl eligible til 2018. By the time they play their first game in the SBC their stadium will seat over 20,000. Their infrastructure is already in place for expansion of the stadium.
    BOP. Quit spreading truth around here. We don't have time for that on Raginpagin.

  7. #87
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,652

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    C'mon wcd. Don't rain on the whine and cheese crowd. They are very happy today in their misery, and they want you to be miserable too.
    Maybe they just want folks to think with a clear head??

  8. #88
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    C'mon wcd. Don't rain on the whine and cheese crowd. They are very happy today in their misery, and they want you to be miserable too.
    We aren't miserable...we comfy. We need more Cheez-Its.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    1) Add Coastal Carolina for Olympic Sports only for now. It addresses the travel coast concerns for App. State across the board. Allow them to build the facilities and when they are ready add football if they are indeed the best option after 2017.2) Continue to improve your football programs from within the SBC, Georgia State still hasn't won a game against an FBS opponent yet. A conference championship game adds nothing to the SBC without a sponsor and a television agreement with ESPN or FOX Sports to televise the game. It will only add more expenses to the conference otherwise. 3) 2017 is D-day for the Sun Belt Conference Television package, Benson will find out exactly how much the SBC brand is valued. ESPN is cutting back on expenses because of Disney, the network is going to look at all of their deals with bowl games, especially the lower tier bowls. Fox Sports could be an option at that point. 4) Beyond 2017, they may have to make a decision if Idaho decides to drop football to FCS more then likely we could see another SLC program like Sam Houston or McNeese State added to the SBC.

    There are a lot of unknowns right now in NCAA sports, there was no rush to grab Coastal Carolina at this time as a full member. Where are they going to go? Their baseball and basketball are solid, but do we want to be another Missouri Valley?

    Yea I know, what are we supposed to do? What are we supposed to do?
    This makes me wonder: When we missed the boat on realignment, our stadium was and still is CRAP. Every one of our peers who got the call up made improvements to their fball facilities: WKU, FIU, FAU (Not sure about MTSU?), UNT. (One could argue their administrations were ahead of Farmer but they all had/have student fees, which is another debate)

    If we expect our current conference to have standards on new members, why should we expect CUSA or AAC to give us a pass? What makes UL so special where we shouldn't have to wait and prove we're committed to big time college athletics?

  10. #90
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,652

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    This makes me wonder: When we missed the boat on realignment, our stadium was and still is CRAP. Every one of our peers who got the call up made improvements to their fball facilities: WKU, FIU, FAU (Not sure about MTSU?), UNT. (One could argue their administrations were ahead of Farmer but they all had/have student fees, which is another debate)

    If we expect our current conference to have standards on new members, why should we expect CUSA or AAC to give us a pass? What makes UL so special where we shouldn't have to wait and prove we're committed to big time college athletics?
    You are right, T Doug. We arent special, and our Administration strives to prove that every day.

    Thanks for the clarity.

    Z

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    1,860
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    I don't see any correllation to stadium size to success. Examples include

    UAB.....big stadium, worst case scenario
    FIU......tiny stadium with new smallish stadium & after 3 years they still suck
    FAU.....see FIU
    GSU Atlanta.....huge stadium, terrible teams
    GSU Stateboro.....Stadium about same size as Tulane's new small stadium, results very good so far
    App State.....see GSU Stateboro
    North Texas......Nice new stadium, new conference have done nothing to change there results established the previous 5 years.
    Tulane.....Big stadium, results were terrible. New small stadium, looks like they have improved some, not much but a smudge better than before.
    USM......One of the largest on campus G5 stadiums. Last 3 years have been worst case terrible. Can't even beat the bad teams in a conference with a large number of bad teams.
    SMU......New very nice stadium after playing in Cotton Bowl for years. Results the last 5-6 years? SMU has been consistently one of the worst teams in 1A.
    UL.....New expansion last year with Sr biased experienced team. Against OOC.....results were terrible. UL was probably one of the worst of any Sunbelt football program last year in creating a negative perception for the conference. Our OOC performance flat out sucked.
    UTSA....new team, huge stadium after 3 years results have been pretty bad. Had a Sr heavy team last year with all expecting very competitive results and didn't come close to expectations, bottom feeder in a conference that had 8-9 very bad teams.
    CC.......based on the above, there chances to be competitive? About as good as any team in any G5 conference.


  12. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Who is a horrible team the Hudspeth lost to? App State or Louisiana Tech? Look, I get he needs to win games like that to change perception of the program. But all the guy has done is win four straight bowl games and out together four consecutive seasons that have never been seen in the history of this program.

    Fans on this board want Hud and his staff to go out and recruit against programs above the SBC just because we built an APC? Yet the staff is going to have go out and sell athletes on cuts in the program like travel cost, another bus trip to Jonesboro? Coach Marlin will have to endure the same cuts for basketball, but both staff's are supposed to recruit above the SBC? It amazes me that so many people can't see it, but demand it. But at the same time, won't demand the president of this university take some money out of his back pocket to fully fund athletics, while he is planning on price gauging his RCAF supporters for a SBC product. We are eventually going to get what your conference yields in recruiting. Everyone keeps talking about just keep winning and things will take care of itself. Perhaps, but what I don't see a bunch of four start athletes lining up to sign with Ragin' Cajuns Football to play in the SBC and bus trips while your competitors are flying. We better enjoy Hudspeth while we have him period.
    That's my point, those teams aren't horrible. There isn't a huge difference between FCS powers and the G5. People sit here and say how crappy all these teams are, well that's not what my eyes tell me. So before we go taking a crap on coastal Carolina football, let's make sure they don't kick our teeth in first. People forget where we were just a few short years ago. Let's not get embarrassed by the runner up of a league everyone thinks we have a birth right to be in. You can blame it the administration all you want but the coaches and you yourself have commented how we have never recruited better than we are now... Well prove it on the field game in and game out. I just don't understand where this elitist attitude comes from. I want out of the SBC just like the next guy but all this crapping on the league we are in and one we still haven't won yet is BS. The 2 new "crappy" FCS newbies came in and ran it up the leagues azz.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You are right, T Doug. We arent special, and our Administration strives to prove that every day.

    Thanks for the clarity.

    Z
    All right, that was a softball. Touche haha

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,808

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    The reality of this situation is, WE ARE IN THE SUN BELT. So this is terrible for us. You are who you associate with.
    Disagree. Boise was the best G5 in the country in one of the worst G5 leagues for several years. Everybody knew that.

    Jesus hung out with sinners, but was The Messiah.

    You are who you are. This will only be more truthful as time passes.

    ...and it is the truth that we are the class athletic program in the SBC. Everybody knows that.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Disagree. Boise was the best G5 in the country in one of the worst G5 leagues for several years. Everybody knew that.

    Jesus hung out with sinners, but was The Messiah.

    You are who you are. This will only be more truthful as time passes.

    ...and it is the truth that we are the class athletic program in the SBC. Everybody knows that.
    Boise got left out in the cold DESPITE being the best G5 team in the country.

    Jesus was killed DESPITE being the Messiah.

    You are who you associate with. Winning is not a cure-all. It takes actual leadership to take it to the next level. We comfy.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    This makes me wonder: When we missed the boat on realignment, our stadium was and still is CRAP. Every one of our peers who got the call up made improvements to their fball facilities: WKU, FIU, FAU (Not sure about MTSU?), UNT. (One could argue their administrations were ahead of Farmer but they all had/have student fees, which is another debate)

    If we expect our current conference to have standards on new members, why should we expect CUSA or AAC to give us a pass? What makes UL so special where we shouldn't have to wait and prove we're committed to big time college athletics?
    Then why would you believe them when they say they are working toward the AAC? Wait, there is no opening in the AAC right? Facilities is one thing, support is another. Many pieces of a much larger picture. If you can't build to CUSA, am I suppose to believe you can build to the AAC?

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    People sit here and say how crappy all these teams are, well that's not what my eyes tell me. So before we go taking a crap on coastal Carolina football, let's make sure they don't kick our teeth in first.
    Not to mention App was 4-8 the year before joining the Sunbelt. I think CC has potential. They have a really young program but that are improving every year. They will be only the 3rd FBS school in a pretty good football state. They have nice facilities and have already outspend a lot of current SBC schools in football. Do they bring a strong football "brand"?..not at all But neither would NMSU.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Who is a horrible team the Hudspeth lost to? App State or Louisiana Tech? Look, I get he needs to win games like that to change perception of the program. But all the guy has done is win four straight bowl games and out together four consecutive seasons that have never been seen in the history of this program.

    Fans on this board want Hud and his staff to go out and recruit against programs above the SBC just because we built an APC? Yet the staff is going to have go out and sell athletes on cuts in the program like travel cost, another bus trip to Jonesboro? Coach Marlin will have to endure the same cuts for basketball, but both staff's are supposed to recruit above the SBC? It amazes me that so many people can't see it, but demand it. But at the same time, won't demand the president of this university take some money out of his back pocket to fully fund athletics, while he is planning on price gauging his RCAF supporters for a SBC product. We are eventually going to get what your conference yields in recruiting. Everyone keeps talking about just keep winning and things will take care of itself. Perhaps, but what I don't see a bunch of four start athletes lining up to sign with Ragin' Cajuns Football to play in the SBC and bus trips while your competitors are flying. We better enjoy Hudspeth while we have him period.
    Mark Hudspeth is making $1,000,000.00 per season and will more than likely want more relatively soon.

    With that amount of zeroes and when your peers are earning half of your salary, I expect a lot of things.
    http://sports.newsday.com/long-islan...|o:c=college;|

    As far as T-Joseph holding money, no debate here.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,607

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Up until 4 years ago.,, we brought the worst football brand to the SBC.


  20. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default Re: Coastal Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Then why would you believe them when they say they are working toward the AAC? Wait, there is no opening in the AAC right? Facilities is one thing, support is another. Many pieces of a much larger picture. If you can't build to CUSA, am I suppose to believe you can build to the AAC?
    Whose "they" working toward the AAC? UL? Based on the sole info I get here, I didn't think we were working towards anything.

    But if it is UL saying that, I'll somewhat believe them based on the construction thats been going on for 2 years now on Reinhardt Drive and the contract extensions being thrown around.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •