Thread: Hudspeth weighs creation of SBC title game

1. UL Football Hudspeth weighs creation of SBC title game

He sees both sides of the debate.

Default Re: Hudspeth weighs creation of SBC title game

Obviously there are some hurdles and possible negatives to a conference championship game, I would like to see one happen. Hopefully, they don't do it at a neutral site like other conferences, instead hold it at the top teams home stadium. A champ game at Cajun Field would be awesome.

Other than the bowl game scheduling, I don't by the schedule as an issue. Is that not part of a commissioners duties to oversee the makIng of the schedule. Make it work.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sunbelt Re: Hudspeth weighs creation of SBC title game

I agree with coaches saying we need to weigh the pro and the con. What coach and the AD's need to understand is a 12-0 SBC team will not trump other teams champions in most years. So IMO the risk of losing a bowl game that you probably would not be qualified for vs being a difference maker in a close call is clear, play the damned game.

Agree, Express.

If you are 12-0, in contention for a New Years bowl, get to host a Conference championship game at home AND Loose to a sunbelt school, who would still argue that you belong in a new year bowl? It can only help SBC IMHO. If you can't win that game, you don't belong among the big boys. 13-0... Now we're talking!

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that this is even a discussion topic. It's not as if a conference championship game is unprecedented and this is breaking new ground...play the effing game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
    If you are 12-0, in contention for a New Years bowl, get to host a Conference championship game at home AND Loose to a sunbelt school, who would still argue that you belong in a new year bowl? It can only help SBC IMHO. If you can't win that game, you don't belong among the big boys. 13-0... Now we're talking!
    I don't believe a championship game elevates or hurts your chances to play in a new year bowl, because realistically the SBC has very little to zero chance of playing in one.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't believe a championship game elevates or hurts your chances to play in a new year bowl, because realistically the SBC has very little to zero chance of playing in one.
    Yep.

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Yep.
    I don't think we know this yet. The CFP has been in existence exactly one year. While I agree the chances of the Final Four are miniscule, I think the bid to the Access Bowl is something a Sun Belt school could get....IF they go unbeaten and have at least one signature win.

Marshall is used as the example as to why it can't happen. Well, Marshall didn't play a single P5 team last year and the only one they play this year is Purdue, who is picked last in their division.

Now, say the Cajuns go unbeaten next year with wins over Boise State and Georgia. You don't think they'd have a great shot at an access bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    I don't think we know this yet. The CFP has been in existence exactly one year. While I agree the chances of the Final Four are miniscule, I think the bid to the Access Bowl is something a Sun Belt school could get....IF they go unbeaten and have at least one signature win.

Marshall is used as the example as to why it can't happen. Well, Marshall didn't play a single P5 team last year and the only one they play this year is Purdue, who is picked last in their division.

Now, say the Cajuns go unbeaten next year with wins over Boise State and Georgia. You don't think they'd have a great shot at an access bowl?
    Jay,

I will go out on a limb and say that "IF" UL beats Georgia AND Boise State AND goes undefeated next year, we WILL get the nod for the access bowl!!! BUT, that is a lot of IF's!

However, all things are possible, even if unlikely.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Jay what about this year? Think it would be close no cigar. Now if we went 13/0 and a championship win over a 12/1 Ga Southern we go. It's all about what ifs at this point

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Jay what about this year? Think it would be close no cigar. Now if we went 13/0 and a championship win over a 12/1 Ga Southern we go. It's all about what ifs at this point
    ---Did S Miss suffer anything or did Houston after their championship game--forgot who won it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Did S Miss suffer anything or did Houston after their championship game--forgot who won it!!!
    Houston was 12-0 going into the championship game and was projected to play in a BCS Bowl, they lost to So Miss in the Championship game. They still ended up in the Cotton Bowl vs Penn State however, but the the conference lost out on some BCS $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Yes they did. It's on them to win. Cajuns not getting Access Bowl 2015 with a perfect record. Would love to eat crow in December though. 👍👍👍

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post

Mathematically the SBC will always have a chance, but it would take a special year just like you stated to have a shot with two signature wins and a top 25 RPI in my opinion. Otherwise your schedule strength and lack of quality wins will not be enough to get you there in the SBC in most years. Adding Coastal Carolina doesn't help you immediately either.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Mathematically the SBC will always have a chance, but it would take a special year just like you stated to have a shot with two signature wins and a top 25 RPI in my opinion. Otherwise your schedule strength and lack of quality wins will not be enough to get you there in the SBC in most years. Adding Coastal Carolina doesn't help you immediately either.
    Devils advocate...CUSA doesn't give you any of that either. Would still take special season.

So CUSA should do away with championship game? After all it can't help and could only hurt.

If Hud is still here when the NCAA says yes to less than 12 teams, he'll vote for it.