Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USA Today Article on the SBC

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns4me View Post
    Point taken. But again, I ask you, name the last team to jump from the CUSA to the Belt? Now, if we're talking about a reshuffling of sorts of the conferences geographically, then it becomes more about who you know I think.
    CUSA has the advantage of longevity and brand over similar, younger conferences (MAC, SBC, etc). Competition and over all health of conference, all of the above are laterally equal.

Default Re: USA Today Article on the SBC

Think of the recent opportunities we have had to make connections with Houston, ECU, Tulane, rice, sdsu, Boise, ole miss, miss state, Nevada etc... In talking our people getting to spend quality time with their people...how many of you think we took full advantage of that?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    That's true, but I think the landscape is changing, and changing fast. I believe that when the AAC or the MWC is looking for new members in the future, your current address will factor very little. Schools will be judged on an individual basis as to what they can bring to the table in things other than the old litmus test of market size. In this new paradigm, we are rising rapidly while some CUSA schools are stuck in the mud.
    The time to play the perception game was 10 years ago when the WAC camecalling.
    This is definitely what we need to hope for.

I think the reason for that had more to do with the CUSA TV contract and NCAA tourney revenue versus the SBC's revenues than with perception.
    That may well be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    CUSA has the advantage of longevity and brand over similar, younger conferences (MAC, SBC, etc). Competition and over all health of conference, all of the above are laterally equal.
    Agreed. And I think you kinda made my point too. Believe me MAT, I don't like it any more than you do. I just hope other universities ARE starting to change their thinking like you and CN are suggesting.

That's true, but I think the landscape is changing, and changing fast. I believe that when the AAC or the MWC is looking for new members in the future, your current address will factor very little. Schools will be judged on an individual basis as to what they can bring to the table in things other than the old litmus test of market size. In this new paradigm, we are rising rapidly while some CUSA schools are stuck in the mud.

The time to play the perception game was 10 years ago when the WAC came calling.
    I think it all depends on the AAC's long term plan. Do they want to eventually be P5 or do they want to be the best G5 conference? Reason I ask is because of conference stability. This is one thing the SBC is doing right to rebuild their conference and for them to survive (not so good for us though). They are getting schools to join that they see have little or no chance of moving on to bigger and better conferences. IF the AAC sees a school that has little or no chance at jumping to P5 and want the highest level of P5 then we are attractive in that aspect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    CUSA did the Sunbelt a huge favor from a competitive standpoint by taking the perennial worst bottom feeding teams in FIU; FAU; North Texas due to their faux markets. How faux is it? Just have to look at their crappy records since moving over.....they all suck their too. In football MT had a couple decent years in Sunbelt, most were consistent with FxU. I've lived in NTx 15 years....no one gives a schist about NT football except a tiny % in North Texas. Same is true for SMU.

Where Sunbelt failed......The Sunbelt lost their worst 3 teams & one at best average team then invited the 2 worst teams available in Idaho and NMSt. Beating CUSA annually would have been flat out easy without these two the last few years dragging down the combined W/L records and their effect to power rankings.

To football recruits, perception matters......need to win the head to head games. UL needs to do their part & win the LTUR game this year.

Lets ask BJ. I'd be willing to bet, if it ain't P5 recruits, fill in the blank with conference doesn't mean much. I'd be willing to bet their #1 and 2 priority would be: Are we on TV? Can I make the league from this school?

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    CUSA did the Sunbelt a huge favor from a competitive standpoint by taking the perennial worst bottom feeding teams in FIU; FAU; North Texas due to their faux markets. How faux is it? Just have to look at their crappy records since moving over.....they all suck their too. In football MT had a couple decent years in Sunbelt, most were consistent with FxU. I've lived in NTx 15 years....no one gives a schist about NT football except a tiny % in North Texas. Same is true for SMU.

Where Sunbelt failed......The Sunbelt lost their worst 3 teams & one at best average team then invited the 2 worst teams available in Idaho and NMSt. Beating CUSA annually would have been flat out easy without these two the last few years dragging down the combined W/L records and their effect to power rankings.

To football recruits, perception matters......need to win the head to head games. UL needs to do their part & win the LTUR game this year.
    They really did. At least short term I think their selections are going to bite them. But they were obviously playing the long game in picking schools like Charlotte and FIU that had terrible football teams but lots of money to work with. I guess we'll see how things play out 5-10 years from now.

With that said, if you pick out the best of the Sun Belt and C-USA, I think you'd end up with one heck of a football conference.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    They really did. At least short term I think their selections are going to bite them. But they were obviously playing the long game in picking schools like Charlotte and FIU that had terrible football teams but lots of money to work with. I guess we'll see how things play out 5-10 years from now.

With that said, if you pick out the best of the Sun Belt and C-USA, I think you'd end up with one heck of a football conference.
    You will never get the chance to find out. In 5-10 years you will see a scheduling alliance with the most recognizable 40-50 G5 programs. They will create 3 or 4 regional conferences consisting of 12-14 teams.

Then they will negotiate jointly for a mega TV contract which will bring in the most money. It may include live streaming and programming for cord cutters.

The question remains, will we be a part of that group. If not we can say hi to our old SLC brethren because the teams who are left out will not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    You will never get the chance to find out. In 5-10 years you will see a scheduling alliance with the most recognizable 40-50 G5 programs. They will create 3 or 4 regional conferences consisting of 12-14 teams.

Then they will negotiate jointly for a mega TV contract which will bring in the most money. It may include live streaming and programming for cord cutters.

The question remains, will we be a part of that group. If not we can say hi to our old SLC brethren because the teams who are left out will not make it.
    10000% correct, or some form similar. This is becoming clearer by the year. People! FOLLOW THE MONEYYYY

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sunbelt Re: USA Today Article on the SBC

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Comparing this article to his on SBC indicates to me that he believes the SBC is stronger and has more potential than CUSA. I must say I am surprised.
    This is leading me to evolve regarding my long, LONG desire to get to CUSA.
    I am starting to get behind those who say that the AAC should be our goal.
    Doubt it is much easier to jump from SBC to AAC than the Big XII without an intervening stop. CUSA IS still considered to be a step above, and will remain so until the SBC can actually put a team or two into the top 25 on occasions.

Time could change that, but right now and foreseeable future I think SBC viewed as equal to CUSA is not 50/50, more like 30/70 chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2